Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many folks have the clutch squeal these days?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:56 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How many folks have the clutch squeal these days?

I've just noticed a clutch squeal/moan right as the clutch pedal releases all the way out. Only happens if I'm above about 1500RPM as the clutch lets out.

I've read on past threads that it is "normal" and that it could be a glazed pressure plate/friction plate.

The car only has 18k miles and is still under CPO for another year. Is it OK to let it ride for a bit (Just annoyance) until I put the car in for the 20k service? Or should I make a special trip to address it?

It only happens in first when starting from a dead stop, and only happens right as the clutch lets all they way out (Full hydrolic pressure release). When slipping the clutch up a driveway, there is no groan, and the clutch grabs fine during normal operation, no slipping when rolling.

I have a 2006 C2. No racing, no light to light drag runs, no track days, etc.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

I have yet to have any clutch sounds whatsoever.

I have some brake noise occasionally (which tells me that I am not aggressive enough).
Old 09-28-2010, 05:17 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I did notice that the squeal is only there if I'm letting the clutch out between 1000and 1300 RPMS. If it is faster than that (RPMS) and slipping more, there is no squeal. If it is a very gentle launch, there is no squeal.

AC on or off, no difference
PSM on or off, no difference
It is almost like there is some perfect harmonic point where the clutch/transmission friction causes a squeal when there is barely a difference in the rotation speeds.

I've never personally dismantled a clutch but I can envision the friction and pressure plates barely turning at different rates causing some noise, where a greater difference skids without noise.

I guess I'll let it ride until my 20k service then see what the dealer can find.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:35 AM
dw.metro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine squeals the same way. I've had to train myself to lay off the gas when starting off as this seems to eliminate the noise. Overall, it is very annoying. BTW, my car has around 24,000 miles. I am out of warranty and the dealer says this is normal so I guess I'll be living with this problem until I get a new clutch.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:41 AM
vladeden
Intermediate

I have an 06 C2. Same problem, 26k miles, still factory warranty at the time. The dealer tried to convince me that they cant hear it. I was persistent and got Porsche involved.

Porsche admitted that they used the wrong materials on the clutch plate and gave me a new clutch!

Annoying noise GONE for good!

Good luck!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:17 AM
sizquik
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dw.metro
Mine squeals the same way. I've had to train myself to lay off the gas when starting off as this seems to eliminate the noise. Overall, it is very annoying. BTW, my car has around 24,000 miles. I am out of warranty and the dealer says this is normal so I guess I'll be living with this problem until I get a new clutch.
Laying off the gas definitely helps with this issue.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:20 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TerpsRED
I've just noticed a clutch squeal/moan right as the clutch pedal releases all the way out. Only happens if I'm above about 1500RPM as the clutch lets out.

I've read on past threads that it is "normal" and that it could be a glazed pressure plate/friction plate.

The car only has 18k miles and is still under CPO for another year. Is it OK to let it ride for a bit (Just annoyance) until I put the car in for the 20k service? Or should I make a special trip to address it?

It only happens in first when starting from a dead stop, and only happens right as the clutch lets all they way out (Full hydrolic pressure release). When slipping the clutch up a driveway, there is no groan, and the clutch grabs fine during normal operation, no slipping when rolling.

I have a 2006 C2. No racing, no light to light drag runs, no track days, etc.
i had a squeal in the midway of clutch pedal path, right before it engages, especially bad in the stop-go traffic and while going uphill. then it was gone, exactly when I finally won a battle with a dealership to take it apart and investigate.
now i have a bit (good bit) of vibration in the clutch pedal when it goes down. mechanic says it is not supposed to be but service manager cannot guarantee if that labor will be covered by warranty if we take it apart and reason for it is in parts that are not covered by warranty and only covered parts there are clutch bearing and something else, i forgot.

so it looks I will have to pay for new clutch when it will be gone, eventually. but so far - no slippage, no issues other than this vibration on pedal, so, go figure.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Vegas
Intermediate

I've had the same thing for years. Currently 23k miles. Once the weather turns cooler, in almost all cases the noise goes away for me.

I had the dealer check twice and they both times they sent me on my way.

Quick Reply: How many folks have the clutch squeal these days?