Sponsored by:

Porsche's baby Cayenne could be called "Cajun" - EWWW

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 04:05 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I wonder if it will be based on the Audi Q5 or the VW Tiquan?
Have you considered that the Q5 and the Tiguan may have been designed in Weissach?

The Cayenne and the Touareg share the same platform, but as good as the Touareg is, the Cayenne is significantly better. Yeah, it's an SUV, but it's an SUV for drivers.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:12 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
It's pronounced Kay-Yun.

Not everyone needs a large or even a mid-size SUV. Some people may need the volume carry-on capability of a smaller SUV - like the X3 and the Tiguan. I bet the Cajun will be great.

Forget the prejudice that it's not a sports car. Look at it for what it is, and it may surprise you how it compares to the rest in-class.
I seriously do NOT understand why one needs a *small SUV*?! Either one needs the utility and size of an SUV (large family, doing sports, going offroard)... or need a hatch for versatility (A3, VW GTi, Audi Allroad, any other Wagon) would do, even Panamera.

It is based on Q5 I believe.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's pronounced Kay-Yun.
where did you find this?
I just wonder, because absolutely no one will call it that.
I can already hear the salesman in NO calling it that, and then the Boudreaux and Thibodeaux thing happens.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Have you considered that the Q5 and the Tiguan may have been designed in Weissach?The Cayenne and the Touareg share the same platform, but as good as the Touareg is, the Cayenne is significantly better. Yeah, it's an SUV, but it's an SUV for drivers.
I doubt it. The Q5 is based on the A4 platform and the Tiguan is based on the Golf platform.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

not sure if it was a joke or not but...i read somewhere cajun is bascially the abbreviated "cayenne junior" since it will be a smaller SUV. and theyre also planning a "pajun"...smaller version of panamera (i.e. "panamera junior").
Old 10-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 180 Posts

I say, Porsche should make as many vehicles as it takes to distribute the fuel standards across the line so they don't have to keep castrating the 911.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Cajun announcement has been out since last year. They are currently running Cajun mules around for testing and it's based on the Audi Q5 platform to save development costs.

I'd actually like one of these for winter duty. 98% of the time I'm by myself, so a Cayenne is a just a big heavy truck that does poorly on fuel consumption. A smaller, nimble 4 seat Porsche that can haul my three kids to school and get through some tough snow conditions would be an excellent alternative to slopping a 911 through the winter.

A Panamera is simply too expensive for my budget and without a manual transmission, I'm not interested.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:24 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay H
The Cajun announcement has been out since last year. They are currently running Cajun mules around for testing and it's based on the Audi Q5 platform to save development costs.

I'd actually like one of these for winter duty. 98% of the time I'm by myself, so a Cayenne is a just a big heavy truck that does poorly on fuel consumption. A smaller, nimble 4 seat Porsche that can haul my three kids to school and get through some tough snow conditions would be an excellent alternative to slopping a 911 through the winter.

A Panamera is simply too expensive for my budget and without a manual transmission, I'm not interested.
+1. My thoughts exactly
Old 10-20-2011, 12:43 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
what i wrote earlier:
i dont get it. Why does the world need another SUVEE? Its not like the Cayenne is large or anything. In fact I think its on the smaller end of the spectrum.
Lemme guess, P is going to launch the Cajun in New Orleans.

P get back to your roots, PLEASE.
But the "world" does need more R/awd SUV's.

Something on the order of the Toyota Venza maybe.

~200HP 4 cylinder boxer w/DFI.

Now that the Cayenne has been "lightened", no transfer case, etc, I am more tempted, but a Porsche SUV of the Venza size/weight and sensible FE would get my immediate order.

And a hybrid version...??

Otto/Atkinson/Miller multi-mode engine..?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Brinkley
where did you find this?
I can already hear the salesman in NO calling it that, and then the Boudreaux and Thibodeaux thing happens.
I was at Porsche Leipzig this spring, when I was getting a tour of the plant, the tour guide talked about future expansion of the factory and was talking about the "Kai-yoon" - she was surprised how it was pronounced in english and had no idea about the connotations.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by J. Brinkley
where did you find this?
A german PAG member pronounced it for me. Cajun stands for Cayenne Junior, pronounced in german Kay-Yun (or Kay-Yoon).
Old 10-20-2011, 01:39 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I say, Porsche should make as many vehicles as it takes to distribute the fuel standards across the line so they don't have to keep castrating the 911.
Finally someone who understands business.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:40 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I doubt it. The Q5 is based on the A4 platform and the Tiguan is based on the Golf platform.
I did not say they shared platforms. I said - could they all be designed by Weissach? I think that is likely.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I seriously do NOT understand why one needs a *small SUV*?! Either one needs the utility and size of an SUV (large family, doing sports, going offroard)... or need a hatch for versatility (A3, VW GTi, Audi Allroad, any other Wagon) would do, even Panamera.
Nobody NEEDS a sportscar either.

I loved my 997s but I sold it a few weeks ago because my reality as a new father was that I wasn't going to use the car very much with an infant. Despite Porsche's current campaign, it really isn't practical to take small children (rear facing seats for 2 years) in a 911. Kids that are say 5 years old... maybe. But not infants.

I hear you on the wagons and will say that we also have a 2010 Audi A6 Avant in the family (which we custom ordered and took delivery weeks before we found out we were expecting). Ironically, that car replaced a large SUV becuase we never went off road, hated the driving dynamics and didn't need all the space. Well, the wagon drives pretty well and it works ok with the little one but the door apertures, etc. aren't ideal for getting a car seat in and out. The truth is that the higher hip point, larger door aperture and more up right styling of the Cayenne make for an easier daily driver for families like mine that have a kid and a dog.

I'll admit that I was put off by the first Cayenne coming out (and I still haven't warmed to the Panamera) but if it helps Porsche stay in business and provides vehicles for people like me who want a safe, well built, daily driver type vehilce that still steers, brakes and accelerates like a proper Porsche then I say keep building 'em.

Just my two pennies.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
As much as I hate Porsche for selling out the brand, I am looking forward to the Cajun (or whatever they end up calling it) more than any of the other non-sports cars. No kids, so I do not need the size of my current X5, but I want something fun to drive with German pedigree, AWD and ground clearance for trips to the Sierras (had an S4 Avant, and quickly tired of digging it out of the snow), and enough space for stuff and dogs (the S4 was not really good for that, either). Doesn't need to be four doors; we have a sedan for that. I considered the Q5, but IMO it is too compromised for mainstream buyers; the X5 drives far better, transaction prices were about the same, and I like diesels. If they bring a diesel Cajun, I will be the first in line. Although I hear rumors of an A4 allroad...

Quick Reply: Porsche's baby Cayenne could be called "Cajun" - EWWW