Sponsored by:

CPO cover synchro issues ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:41 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by acadian_dad
Thanks Paul and Chris for the ideas. Yeah, my main concern is the grinding shift into 4th. The 1st gear thing has never been a major issue for me and I assumed was probably normal. But I will ask if there is a shifter adjustment that might be made.
Revive-a-thread:

Hey Dave, any dealer updates on your transmission?

1st gear has been a "little balky when cold" since day one on your car. FYI, the Porsche Sport Shift was not factory installed, it was dealer installed prior to delivery.

The other issues are new and IMO definitely should be covered by your CPO coverage....

Old 04-01-2011, 09:44 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just called them today - waiting for the call back from Ted ... so no update yet. See you tomorrow AM ?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:03 AM
yossarian
Advanced

Originally Posted by alexb76
I got the same issue, did you have to do anything to convince them to replace it?
Guys, I have seen this a lot lately. The synchros are aluminum alloy. They don't really grind, just snap. If the plastic guiders are off they could in theory for a while but otherwise they are a low pressure item that snaps if faulty.

At least 07 or better its been the same company making the gearbox. Sycros probably have not changed much. Pcna does not fix them the dealer will replace the whole gearbox.

Covered or not I have no comment.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:36 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Just called them today - waiting for the call back from Ted ... so no update yet. See you tomorrow AM ?
Sheesh, all winter and they still claim to have made no progress on your issues....

You in the market to buy a trailer? Will see you later!

Old 04-02-2011, 10:48 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

I didn't talk to them all winter. They want the regional service rep to test drive the car and I was just putting her away before the snow. Will be wakin her up shortly - so it's time to push again.

See you shortly.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:59 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Grrrrrrrrr. PCNA opening position per mark motors - synchros are an exclusion under the CPO terms. Need to call PCNA tomorrow and see how they justify that. Only exclusion I can find remotely applicable is "normal wear and tear or deterioration of any part" Boy that's a pretty broad exclusion.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:57 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Grrrrrrrrr. PCNA opening position per mark motors - synchros are an exclusion under the CPO terms. Need to call PCNA tomorrow and see how they justify that. Only exclusion I can find remotely applicable is "normal wear and tear or deterioration of any part" Boy that's a pretty broad exclusion.
That certainly would not sit well...

So....they claim syncros are a specific CPO exclusion?... or are they saying that if syncros fail during the original "factory warranty", they would not be covered either?

I'd submit that there should be no way a transmission of "Porsche calibre" should experience this form of failure, especially with your low mileage, as a result of normal wear and tear!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:35 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 432 Posts

I have two questions:

1- Could forcing the car into a gear damage the syncros? It may be caused by the driver (no disrespect, I've done it before as well)

2-Are you sure it's the syncros and not the shifter cables? I had a failing shifter cable, was having so much problem before it snapped finally. When replaced everything was smooth...
Old 04-08-2011, 10:06 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

that`s pretty amazing. pls let us know how it will end up. it was understood before that CPO covers whole drivetrain including whole transmission, otherwise what is the point?
Old 04-09-2011, 12:05 AM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Syncros are not a wear-and-tear item... how do they figure it's not covered?
Old 04-09-2011, 09:49 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I think PCNA would probably say the car was "misused". As far as I know the sychros can break for 3 reasons

-mismanufacturing... rare but possible
-forcing the car into gear when it doesn't want to go or grinding the gears
-poorly adjusted linkage which will trick you into forcing it into gear

If you pay for the work, I'd ask for the parts so you can examine them to see if there's any signs of mismanufacturing.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:09 PM
kasch
1st Gear

1crazy canuck hi there I am having same issue do you know what kind of adjustment he did thanks
Old 11-15-2011, 04:24 PM
sameerg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Galvano
My car had the 5th gear synchro replaced under warranty prior to my purchase. When cold I have trouble shifting into 1st from a dead stop. Is this a common problem with the older 997s?
So, when i start driving in the morning, and the transmission is cold, as soon as i hit 5th gear, the first time, it will make a grinding noise when getting in.
Once the transmission is warm enough, no noise whatsoever.

I dropped my car off at the dealers. Waiting for them to drive the car tomorrow and see what they say.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:03 PM
aras314
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Same issue here. Cold Trans = grinding passing in 4th and an 5th
Old 11-16-2011, 02:19 PM
sameerg
Intermediate

The tech at the dealer drove and inspected my car today. They said that no issues at all.

Quick Reply: CPO cover synchro issues ?