Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOP Gear on history Channel....

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:49 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love a Top Gear with 2 chicks (that can drive) and one guy. I think the tension, competition between them, etc would be exactly what they need. Some eye candy wouldn't hurt either. Danika and Ashley would be good contenders.

The only down side to having race car drivers host the show...is that they are race car drivers. Their skills are better than the average joe and perspectives probably a little different. Again, that is why Stig even exists, only to drive.

I know Jeremy and Hammond have a journalism/broadcasting background (not sure about James) which really helps IMO...they also know how to be naturally funny, know cars in general and how to drive pretty darn well.

My cast nomination:
Maybe Ryan Seacrest would be a good Hammond type...after some driving lessons.
Who would be a good Jeremy-type personality...complete opposite of the other two.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:17 PM
lig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about Vicki from 5th Gear? Cameron Diaz as a returning guest host would be good too. She was pretty good on the UK Top Gear...
Old 11-28-2010, 11:24 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 733 Likes on 408 Posts

Episode 2 on now - the production quality of the segments is good. But they have got to get rid of the "geek" host with the glasses/beard/flannel shirt. He is awful.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:43 AM
agreenway
Intermediate

Default Horrible - I would prefer if they would just play the British Fifth Gear instead.

I tried to watch the first one. It was horrible as bad if not worse then the Australia version of Top Gear.

Anyone seen Fifth Gear. They say your either a Top Gear or Fifth Gear Fan.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:11 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by agreenway
I tried to watch the first one. It was horrible as bad if not worse then the Australia version of Top Gear.

Anyone seen Fifth Gear. They say your either a Top Gear or Fifth Gear Fan.
I prefer Fifth Gear and think Tif (and Vicki) > Jeremy for car reviews, but of course the Top Gear crew are deliberately more humorous.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:23 AM
tkids
Pro

It is certainly not flowing with these 3 hosts, but it is only the second episode. That being said, I was disappointed with the Sierra Nevada "Driving through a storm", that they tried to pull off as an excuse. Ugh!

I like the photography.

I vote for this Host from Road Fly TV. Jessi Lang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0apjBooC59I
Old 11-29-2010, 11:59 AM
nazhat
Instructor

yet another Sunday goes by and another US version of Top Gear.....sucks ***
Old 11-29-2010, 06:56 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm happy see any show about cars but the hosts aren't as dynamic as the brits. Maybe they're not quite snarky enough? I hope they gel soon. Otherwise, I can see this show getting cut.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:09 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

put me in the "hate it" column. it's horrible. and what's with racing the skiers downhill? the early adopters of this show are going to be the ones who watch the BBC version - so why blatantly copy shows we've already seen? Even some of the lines are copied, "to find out, we....."

Hosts: bad. Lines: bad. Episodes: copied. It's just weak.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I thought episode 2 was better than the first. I especially liked the Evo through the snow. That was pretty good driving.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Originally Posted by Riz
I thought episode 2 was better than the first.
I agree. In the first episode with the Lambos they should have rated them with how many olive-oil bottles fit in the trunk and which one is the fastest to get from the pizza shop to your house. Instead they did a straight line test... soooo boring.

The second episode made it for me when they put the blind guy in the Z. Now that's typical Top Gear.

One funny thing I noticed is that the audience shots look the same in both episodes. I could swear I saw the same woman wearing the same clothes in both episodes. Do they film them back to back or are they just re-using footage? Very sloppy...

We were talking about this on the way to lunch today and someone suggested that the "myth busters" guys would make ideal presenters. I thought that was quite a smart idea.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its OK, but I don't see it having legs. The manufactured contests and tension just seems too hollywood manufactured. They do it on the UK version as well, but with the US version its just sooo obvious its not even interesting. The car vs helicopter on the bridge? Really? The race against the skiiers and the slow caravan and gas delivery truck... really? The humor isn't there and THAT is what makes the show popular. You cannot reproduce it in the US, for no other reason than a US host isn't going to call Americans fat lazy bastards.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Joe6pack
Instructor

I finally saw an episode last night and I have to say that it sucked, but it could have sucked worse. I actually think the fat Southern guy is the best of the bunch. Faust is pretty much as I expected and the guy from New York might as well not be there. How does a stand up comic have so little personality? Great shows are about great personalities and no amount of production magic can change that. I really think they need to copy the UK version less and get some people in there with some personality and charisma. Car knowledge is great, but this is entertainment - be entertaining for Chrissake. Sheesh.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love it that a blind guy with about an hour of training could out drift those two. If two of them can only demonstrate high speed straight runs...then the show will never make it. I do believe Captain Slow could beat both of them.

It would be fun to have a cameo of the UK guys on the US show.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:04 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only thing better in the US version compared to the UK version is the teeth of the hosts

Quick Reply: TOP Gear on history Channel....