Sponsored by:

TOP Gear on history Channel....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:14 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default TOP Gear on history Channel....

Have to say, really enjoyed the new TOP Gear featured on History Channel.....

Anyone else see it, thought the show had some great cars and well done for 1st crack at it.... Eager to see the next 10 shows evolve....
Hoping to see some Porsches on upcoming shows.

http://www.history.com/shows/top-gear

Not a Viper owner anytime soon here but very much respect the car and enjoyed watching it.......That Viper ACR worked wonders around their test track.

anyone else catch it?

The Bulls in the standing mile top speed was fun to watch and seeing the final lap times rolled out and the ACR at the top was entertaining....

Last edited by mickfluff; 11-23-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:28 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched it and thought it was just OK. The british humor is hard to replicate. Taking the show on it's own merits and *trying* not to compare it with the UK version...it seems slightly scripted and the guys just don't seem quite natural yet - maybe that will change over time. However, driving the crap out of the cars and their first "stunt" were entertaining. Either way, it's a car show - and I'll watch it.

Let's start a thread on who The Stig-US is??????
Old 11-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Given that it was the FIRST episode, I am willing to cut a lot of slack. If by the end of the 10-episode run, they still haven't started to gel, then I'll be worried. Given how car shows are rarely found on TV anymore, I am willing to forgive some forced moments in exchange for high-def car ****.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:54 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

It's OK but it will never match JC's entertainment.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:55 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default PT

Yes, agreed they will need some time for the chemistry to build but what I saw I was impressed overall... now I am comparing against options available for Auto-Television which these days is slim pickings for decent shows....

Stig - Paul Tracy.... thats my guess.

I will be following the series.... Hope it survives....

Originally Posted by cannon1000
I watched it and thought it was just OK. The british humor is hard to replicate. Taking the show on it's own merits and *trying* not to compare it with the UK version...it seems slightly scripted and the guys just don't seem quite natural yet - maybe that will change over time. However, driving the crap out of the cars and their first "stunt" were entertaining. Either way, it's a car show - and I'll watch it.

Let's start a thread on who The Stig-US is??????
Old 11-22-2010, 10:31 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to be negative but I thought it lacked most of the good qualities of the British version. The humor just isn't there, especially the intelligent & witty comments that I love. I'm sure we won't have as many entertaining jokes at the expense of Americans, which are often thinly disguised insults (but often deserved).

Faust is alright but the other two just don't seem like a good fit for the show. You can also see the educational differences between them and the British hosts, and it's not just vocabulary. Also they all seem too young.

I hope they don't cater too much to the stereotypical NASCAR fans. I think it's a good sign that Stig's track isn't just an oval, or quarter mile straight.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:11 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I changed the channel shortly after seeing the first few minutes of it. Did not have the automatic 'click' the original BBC version has. Dialogue was very...bland.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:12 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

Horrible IMO. Switched channels. Couldn't stand the pain.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Would have been much better with Adam Carolla who did the original pilot episode.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
Would have been much better with Adam Carolla who did the original pilot episode.
YES!

PS have you listened to his CarCast on Podcast?
Old 11-23-2010, 10:13 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default Just curious....

Have to ask, what did you switch channels to watch? A Balboni, a Merci SV and Superleggera doing a top speed mile and had to change the channel?

Over 700+ channels available and I find it hard to locate anything worth watching in the time I have for television each week. This will be a show I follow and hope succeeds. Time will tell....

Also Agreed Adam C would have been a great host....along with Jay Leno and keep Tanner. That could have been a great 3.....
Old 11-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Sorry to be negative but I thought it lacked most of the good qualities of the British version. The humor just isn't there, especially the intelligent & witty comments that I love. ........

You can also see the educational differences between them and the British hosts, and it's not just vocabulary.
+1. Maybe the same 3 guys could do a great car show, but dropping them into the same set and formula of the BBC show forces anyone who's seen the original to make a constant comparison to Clarkson, May and Hammond, and it's really unfair because they're nothing alike. It would take 3 well-known (to Americans) hosts with even stronger and more unique personalities than the British guys, to pull it off. Maybe Jay Leno, Jerry Seinfeld and Tim Allen (comics, but who actually know cars and how to drive them) or how about Danica Patrick, just to give it a twist?
Old 11-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also thought it was awful. No match for the original. It should never have been a total clone of the real Top Gear.
I thought the same thing about the Office, and look what happened.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:27 PM
RonnieTheC
Advanced

The show was a disaster! This is because they tried to do it exactly the same as the UK original with 3 nondiscript bimbos. The creators wanted Leno in the worst way but he turned it down knowing that it would not work. Jay has been a guest on the original Top Gear, and he knows TV. He was right.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Being a fan of the original British version, I couldn't help but compare. Of course the original is better by far. But it's too early so I'll keep watching and hoping for it to mature. There were some great moments but some weak ones as well. If someone had not seen the original, it wouldn't have been "that" bad. As I said, let's watch, wait and see what happens.

One thing I really noticed was the production quality wasn't up to the standards of the British version as far as effects go, both video and audio.

Quick Reply: TOP Gear on history Channel....