Oil coming from gearbox ? (PDK)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Oil coming from gearbox ? (PDK)

Hi,

I was installing my exhaust today, but I noticed there were some oil leaks on the bottom of the car (not too much, not on the floor of my house, so it's not terrible)

As I believe, it's from the gearbox, right ?

My car is PDK

Please comment or share your experiences, thanks in advance !

Last edited by 964C4; 09-26-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:47 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I developed an oil leak in my PDK about 2 months ago. Dealer spotted it when I took the car in for an autocross tech inspection.

The leak was from the seal at an output shaft, but Porsche told my dealer to pull out the transmission and replace it - so that's what they did. Three days later I got it back with a brand new PDK.

It appears that Porsche doesn't want any repairs to be performed on the PDK, they'd rather just replace it and inspect the leaker to see what went wrong.

DMoore
'09 C2S PDK
'10 P4S
Old 12-22-2010, 11:47 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'll be under the car tomorrow early in the a.m.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:49 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they did the same thing with the Tip. Sent it back to D-Land and let the techs pick over it to find out what went wrong.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
I developed an oil leak in my PDK about 2 months ago. Dealer spotted it when I took the car in for an autocross tech inspection.

The leak was from the seal at an output shaft, but Porsche told my dealer to pull out the transmission and replace it - so that's what they did. Three days later I got it back with a brand new PDK.

It appears that Porsche doesn't want any repairs to be performed on the PDK, they'd rather just replace it and inspect the leaker to see what went wrong.

DMoore
'09 C2S PDK
'10 P4S
Same applies to the 996 Turbo 6-speed. The one in my 03 Turbo developed an oil leak around the selector shaft. Short version is Porsche authorized the dealer's service department to remove the original transmission (with around 30K miles on it) and the factory shipped a replacement transmission (re-manufactured I believe cause serial number had an X at the end) which was installed. (New tranny leak free and as an added bonus shifts noticably better than the original transmission.)

Techs told me the leaking seal is interchangeable with the one from the NA 996 6-speed transmission but Porsche does not provide any permission or other official info on the Turbo 6-speed teardown.

Oh, the car was covered by the 'new' CPO warranty so the cost of the tranmission R&R was covered by the warranty, along with a few other issues I had originally taken the car in for. Along with these issues I had asked that a fluid service be done on the transmission/rear diff (I had the front diff fluid changed some time prior to this). The leak was found when the tech removed the panels necessary to do a tranny/diff fluid service and it was at this time he spotted the fluid leak.

Had the car been out of warranty the techs told me that since the leak wasn't very bad I could choose to ignore it or they could remove the transmission and repair/replace the seal. While it wasn't said outright I got the impression that the Turbo's 6-speed is not that difficult to work on it is just in the case of in-warranty cars Porsche would rather just do a tranny swap.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:45 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

I will take the car to the dealer the first week of January for an inspection and let them send a report to the factory, let's see what will happen...
Old 01-06-2011, 07:53 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Update of January, 6: dealer checked the car and found some of the screws of the oil pan were not tight

They were all tightened at same rate and underbody of car was cleaned

I will use it on a long trip this Sunday and take the car back to the dealer next week for rechecking

Quick Reply: Oil coming from gearbox ? (PDK)