Sponsored by:

Panamera impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Utkinpol, have you listened to the Burmester on the Panamera ? ..... as somebody mentioned somewhere, it's the Bugatti Veyron of car audio systems. If only the rear end' styling, hands down Pana for me as the drive is second to none in the sport sedan market. But as they say I guess form follows function.
mark levinson is the mark levinson of real hi-end systems.
i have not heard burmester, car i saw had 'stock' sound as I was told, it was nothing special. good to know panamera has good option for sound.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:48 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The 6 cyl is really all one needs.
My last road trip netted 29.8 MPG
Much better than my 08 Cayenne S
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 PM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded in my C4S for a P4S. The P4S is a great 4 door sedan. It might not feel fast, but it's fast, it just doesn't feel like it. Fantastic gas mileage with a range that I have never experienced 600+ miles per tank, it's got a big tank! Get the right color combo/wheels and the car looks great! I get more compliments on this car than I certainly expected! The cockpit is fantastic! That being said, I do miss the 6speed and that Flat 6 howl !

Last edited by tkids; 01-05-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:58 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 731 Likes on 406 Posts

You can't option the start/stop feature off in the Panamera? The US spec car shouldn't even have it, it provides no credit for MPG in the US test suite.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:46 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You can turn it OFF, and it will stay OFF.

The Auto Start-Stop function may be activated or deactivated by a button located on the center console.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by beowulf
At Porsche Sport Driving School I rode in a Panamera Turbo with the instructor driving.
He did launch control and drove the wheels off that thing. The speeds and cornering ability
were incredible. When we went through the "corkscrew" the car hunkered down and despite
the mass, it responded very well to the drivers inputs all done at high speed.
Aesthetics aside, it's the real deal.
I also attended the Porsche driver's school (in November, 2010) and was very impressed by the "fast lap" in the Panamera Turbo. However, a professional driver could probably impress me with a 1963 Ford Falcon on that motorcycle track...

My last car was a M5 and the Panamera turbo could blow the doors off it, but the bid turbo just feels like a fat powerful car. I'll save my money for the 2013 911.

I hear that the Panamera turbo is a big seller in China- where I doubt they get up to half of Autobahn speeds-except on a dyno.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:56 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

The start/stop may not get you MPG credit in the US but it does believe it or not save gas, which is not the worst objective to have. Also, it really is pretty non-intrusive in the Panamera once you get used to it. I found it actually pretty cool, and in Europe it at least let's you avoid the odd negative look at the lights when you can point to the car turning off (normally noticed by the guy next to you or behind you when you take your foot off the brake and it turns back on with a nice hum....).
Old 01-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Default Re: auto engine on/off to save gas

Originally Posted by 996FourEss
The start/stop may not get you MPG credit in the US but it does believe it or not save gas, which is not the worst objective to have.
Everytime I hear this I'm reminded of Richard Hammond's quote on that feature on the Panamera: "That's like buying the Buckingham Palace, but only live in the kitchen because you're afraid of wearing out the carpet."

I really want to like the Panamera, as dynamically, I don't think it has an equal. However, I'm still waiting for its rear-end to grow on me.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:01 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is there like a 2nd and 3rd battery to help start the car again and again?
Old 01-04-2011, 03:16 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

MJones, surely you have at least a story to tell off your trip. Or, is it at the Pano spot?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:25 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Honestly guys, if you REALLY consider buying Panamera or any similar car, YOU HAVE TO TEST DRIVE! It's a unique car, with styling that some love and some hate, and driving dynamics that may or may not be important to you vs. other features in a sedan.

For me, there's more value in some other cars and I still can't stand the looks of the car (again that's personal - no flames pls), but I can totally understand people who might find the car very appealing.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:42 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenta
The M3 sedan is also a great car though they are not going to make it any longer (of course, they might reconsider in the future)...

You can buy a lightly used M3 Sedan for ~$40k right now. Unless you really want the extra size and the absolute need for a car with 0 miles, I don't think there is much that competes with that...

-T
No offense to the Panamera enthusiasts, but a used M3 sedan is a hell of a car for a hell of a price.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by winkingchef
No offense to the Panamera enthusiasts, but a used M3 sedan is a hell of a car for a hell of a price.
True, but very small. And with very poor mileage.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:51 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by winkingchef
100% agreed.

M3 e92 does the ring at 8:05, Panamera TURBO is 7:56... I bet V6 is closer to 8:30... so when one can have the M3 for LESS than Panamera V6, then that's no brainer to me!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:58 PM
David911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Selo
Has anyone driven the new E class? Seems like the Bluetec would be a great commuter car.
Although I have to admit I have a visceral aversion to Mercedes, based upon nothing except the people I've known who have owned them.
I commuted in a mercedes E550 coupe for 7 months, 13,000 miles. Fast, very comfortable, excellent stereo, amazing radar cruise control. Steering was very light, stability in cross winds was so-so, but overall an ok ride. No soul. It is the car to drive if you don't want to know you are driving.

I am now making the commute in a GT3. I am happy

Quick Reply: Panamera impressions