Sponsored by:

Panamera impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Panamera impressions

Previously I hadn't given the car much thought, but while down at the dealership yesterday I checked one out on the showroom floor. I still don't love the exterior styling, but the interior is snazzy! What are driving impressions? I mean, what does it give you that commands $20,000 more than a 535i, or about twice the monthly lease payment? Should I be considering the Panamera 4 instead of a 535ixdrive?
Old 01-01-2011, 11:40 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't driven the Turbo but I did drive the 4S and it did not feel fast at all, especially down low. Upper end of 3rd gear to 4th was alright but I just don't have too many occasions to be 100+ like that.

If someone loves the style then fine, but I just can't see (performance wise) why anyone would buy this over an M3 which is at least $20-30k cheaper, or one of the AMG models such as the C63 which is even cheaper than the M3. Oh and make sure you're comparing post-specced Panameras, not the mere base price.

My test drive was with a PDE instructor in the car at a special event and he adjusted the suspension settings and they all felt very, very plush. While there is a lot of steering assistance that I noticed, I was looking for the car to not feel heavy as others have said, but it handled heavy for me. Again, maybe the power in the turbo is a different matter.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:45 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
... Should I be considering the Panamera 4 instead of a 535ixdrive?
Yes! I've driven most of the sports sedans out there and none compares to a Panamera, from a driver's POV. The sedan has the dynamics of a sports car in a large platform. The V6 is actually quite good and the best value overall.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:26 AM
beowulf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At Porsche Sport Driving School I rode in a Panamera Turbo with the instructor driving.
He did launch control and drove the wheels off that thing. The speeds and cornering ability
were incredible. When we went through the "corkscrew" the car hunkered down and despite
the mass, it responded very well to the drivers inputs all done at high speed.
Aesthetics aside, it's the real deal.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:57 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree w/ Adias. The Panny is a drivers car. the NonTT V8 does a great job of laying the power down thru the PDK. Furthermore its the best handling FULL size sedan i ever driven. This car does not compete w/ the 3 or C class, but rather the 5 and E and you mentioned. BTW the new 5 is CRAP. Its become a slush box w/ its electric steering and soft suspension. Perhaps the m5 will be different.
The Panny is a great car IF you can get over its exterior styling.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 160 Posts

I found the engine start-stop setting on the new Panamera to be very strange and not nearly as 'invisible' as it should be. I understand the idea behind having the engine turn off at stops and immediately restart at take-off, but it's distracting as hell. I felt it every time the engine shut off and then restarted.
Luckily, Porsche lets you disable it.
I like the Panamera, though. If I needed a four-door sedan, I'd seriously consider one.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:15 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leader
I found the engine start-stop setting on the new Panamera to be very strange and not nearly as 'invisible' as it should be. I understand the idea behind having the engine turn off at stops and immediately restart at take-off, but it's distracting as hell. I felt it every time the engine shut off and then restarted.
Luckily, Porsche lets you disable it.
Well, better figure out how to disable it on the 991 because multiple mags have suggested it will have it as well...

-T
Old 01-02-2011, 11:18 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The M3 sedan is also a great car though they are not going to make it any longer (of course, they might reconsider in the future)...

You can buy a lightly used M3 Sedan for ~$40k right now. Unless you really want the extra size and the absolute need for a car with 0 miles, I don't think there is much that competes with that...

-T
Old 01-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Yes! I've driven most of the sports sedans out there and none compares to a Panamera, from a driver's POV. The sedan has the dynamics of a sports car in a large platform. The V6 is actually quite good and the best value overall.
+1.

V6 is not very fast in straight line, but it handles really well. I have no problem keeping up with a bunch of 911s in spirited driving.

It has smaller trunk and one less rear seat than a 5 series, but the trade off is worthwhile.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:14 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I want to like the Panamera - when I see it in person I like it much more than when I see photos of it, but I am not in love with the look. Maybe a new revision will improve it? I also like the interior a lot! I am considering it for my next sedan - I am normally a BMW sedan guy, but I think the Panamera feels more 'special' when sitting behind the wheel. I would consider a Jag for this reason as well.

I checked out the Panamera forum, and it seems that the car does not come with a spare? Is this true? For a sedan, that's crazy. Yes, you can spray goo - but you still need to go straight to a dealer or you risk damaging the wheel. I travel for work, and if I am traveling home from a 5 hour trip and get a flat at 9:00pm at night, I would MUCH prefer to put on a spare and 'just get home' - I can go to the dealer the next day.....
Old 01-03-2011, 12:51 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by vman4639
I want to like the Panamera - when I see it in person I like it much more than when I see photos of it, but I am not in love with the look. Maybe a new revision will improve it? I also like the interior a lot! I am considering it for my next sedan - I am normally a BMW sedan guy, but I think the Panamera feels more 'special' when sitting behind the wheel. I would consider a Jag for this reason as well.

I checked out the Panamera forum, and it seems that the car does not come with a spare? Is this true? For a sedan, that's crazy. Yes, you can spray goo - but you still need to go straight to a dealer or you risk damaging the wheel. I travel for work, and if I am traveling home from a 5 hour trip and get a flat at 9:00pm at night, I would MUCH prefer to put on a spare and 'just get home' - I can go to the dealer the next day.....

No room in the trunk for a spare. This isnt unique to the panny. My 02 M5 is the same. So you gotta buy one. Youre pretty much screwed if the goo doesnt plug the leak. Welcome to the world of 20+ inch wheels. The price of vanity is high indeed.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:40 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Previously I hadn't given the car much thought, but while down at the dealership yesterday I checked one out on the showroom floor. I still don't love the exterior styling, but the interior is snazzy! What are driving impressions? I mean, what does it give you that commands $20,000 more than a 535i, or about twice the monthly lease payment? Should I be considering the Panamera 4 instead of a 535ixdrive?
i tested regular S one, I think, not a turbo - it was nice and responsive. not as responsive as my modded 997, but very responsive.

still, it is a lot of money for a sedan. I would still go with an LS lexus in this category, for its mark levinson sound alone, as I do have 997 for sport driving. if I would not have it, then panamera could be a workable compromise.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Has anyone driven the new E class? Seems like the Bluetec would be a great commuter car.
Although I have to admit I have a visceral aversion to Mercedes, based upon nothing except the people I've known who have owned them.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:23 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i tested regular S one, I think, not a turbo - it was nice and responsive. not as responsive as my modded 997, but very responsive.

still, it is a lot of money for a sedan. I would still go with an LS lexus in this category, for its mark levinson sound alone, as I do have 997 for sport driving. if I would not have it, then panamera could be a workable compromise.
Utkinpol, have you listened to the Burmester on the Panamera ? ..... as somebody mentioned somewhere, it's the Bugatti Veyron of car audio systems. If only the rear end' styling, hands down Pana for me as the drive is second to none in the sport sedan market. But as they say I guess form follows function.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:28 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Burmester is da BOMB!

Quick Reply: Panamera impressions