Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I take my brand-new salty C2S through a car wash?
Yes, no worries.
38.33%
Nope - wait until a warm day and hand-wash it.
61.67%
Wait til spring, you've earned the DD salt and muck.
0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Some Winter Driving Impressions - salt, visibility

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 02:58 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you take it through car wash where they hand pre-wash, have them hold off on the pre-wash. Run it through one time, then come back for hand pre-wash. This comes from friend who owns car washes.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Frank A.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it to a local coin operated care wash to hose off the major stuff. Then go back to your garage and do a rinse-less wash with Optimum No Rinse car wash. You should use the 2 bucket method with a grit guard at the bottom of your rinse bucket. You will need a couple of good, thick microfiber towels to dry the car. These towels should be used only to dry the car and for nothing else.

After that, put a coat of sealant on in 10 minutes with Ultima Paint Guard Plus, a wipe-on-walk-away product that gives great shine and durability. I use it on the the paint, trim and windows. Go to youtube for simple instructional videos on both the ONR and the Ultima. Good luck!

Regards,
Frank A.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:21 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I NEVER EVER TAKE MY PORSCHE TO AN AUTOMATIC CAR WASH!

There is a detail shop in my area that for $35 hand washes my car during the winter. That includes interior vac, windows, wipe the salt stains off the carpet with a wet towel, under side pressure wash. Twice during the winter, they add a coat of polymer and shampoo the carpets if necessary. Before the winter (September) I get them to strip the old wax and oxidation and apply two new layers of wax. Then, at the end of November, I add another coat of wax and I am ready for the salt. After all the salt is washed off the roads in the spring, the same shop strips the car again and applies fresh wax for the summer. During the summer I wash And wax the car myself. The solvents used at the car washes strip all the wax off in two washes, leaving your paint "naked".
Call that obsessive, but you should have seen the original paint on my 20 year old white 964.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Given that I don't have a hot water spigot, plus the shortage of ANY hand-wash places nearby, I always take my to the local automated car wash. It's fine - no scratches, etc. I have 305-series rear tires and they fit without rubbing. It's a modern car - the paint is very hard. FWIW, my wax hasn't stripped in a long time and I wash my car 2x month at a minimum.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:32 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Alex, auto wash may be fine on several colors which will hide swirls not in dark colored cars. One problem with most touchless washes is that they use very powerful soap which will strip wax in one or two washes undoing all the money and effort spent by us owners. The other problem is that touchless car washes never get all the dirt and those kids waiting at the other end of the tunnel with their cheap microfiber towels will swipe the remaning dirt all over your paint. Hence if someone cares about their paint finish then auto wash is a no no in my books. Now many change cars every 3 yrs ... for those it may not be a big deal and I can understand why they feel that way.
Seems like there are a lot of different types of carwashes out there. I wash mine by hand 90% of the time. But a few times during the winter, I take it to a touchless. You pull into a bay and put the car in neutral. Then high speed spray and soap showers your car and moves back and forth. Your car stays in one place. Then a high speed blower dries it off. Nothing to mess up your wheels. No kids with cheap microfiber towels. No stripping of wax. Granted, not perfectly clean either. But close enough and great to get all the crap off from top to bottom, it is really great and no risks to the finish. Then I wash it by hand the next time the temp breaks 40.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:34 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I just wash my car by hand all the time.. usually every friday after work with a beer to decompress from the work week. I have thick lined rubber gloves that come down to my elbow and I wash with regular water down to about 20 degrees F. If it's snowing or really windy I wait til sat or sunday. I wash it by hand in the driveway with the hose running and then pull it in the garage to dry it off. It makes the driveway a bit slick but I throw a bit of salt down.

agree- make sure to hit the bottom of the car and the wheel wells. the salt buildup is unbelieveable. The mufflers look like they have cement on them from constantly drying out the salty water spray (the salt accumulates). It's a bummer but I'll get a new set someday rather than worrying about it. .
Old 01-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
I'm careful about removing DUST from mine. Sheesh, can't imagine the horror of scratchy salt on the paint!!
Amen.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Spectro28
Instructor

Post Sat Radio Antenna collects Water

Nice job getting the car cleaned up on Saturday at Pro-Clean of Tyson's Corner. Hand wash and vacuum was a very affordable $30, and the treat was visiting Intersport right next door to see a bunch of cool PCars.

Thanks to Frino for the recommendation.

Ok, so -- the Satellite Radio antenna is a place where water collects, then drains as the car gets going -- I've noticed this before when washing the car myself. Anybody do any mods to put a gasket in or anything?

Cheers,
Marc
Old 01-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My vote for car wash is to say: get some sort of washdown .. be it touch free or you hosing it off. I'd avoid the brush car-washes that could scratch things up, especially on a dark color.

The paranoia about the salt is a bit overblown these days.. the cars are very well plated and protected these days... the iron/steel is zinced, etc. Just get some fresh water washdown, and hose off the wheel wells and wheels and undercarriage, and the engine bottom ... and you are fine...
Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Skibum
Banned

http://jalopnik.com/5737742/2012-por...ck-in-the-snow
Old 01-20-2011, 02:17 AM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Minok
The paranoia about the salt is a bit overblown these days.. the cars are very well plated and protected these days... the iron/steel is zinced, etc. Just get some fresh water washdown, and hose off the wheel wells and wheels and undercarriage, and the engine bottom ... and you are fine...
True. Most of the suspension is Aluminum. The cars have that undertray covering the bottom anyway.

The only thing I've seen that does rust is some exhaust bits.

It's really not anything to worry too much about.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

take it to a carwash if you want.

If you are even a halfway decent detailer, swirl marks are not a big deal to remove.

I bet 90% of the people out there swirl the hell out of their car when they hand wash it anyway. I know that even using a grit guard, two buckets, etc I still swirl my car while washing. Thats just the way it is.

if you don't want any swirls, don't ever touch it.

Take it to a car wash, get the crap off, and then detail when the weather gets warm.

sheesh.

Quick Reply: Some Winter Driving Impressions - salt, visibility