Sponsored by:

Need DD luxury SUV - any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
ml350 is an OK car but I am not sure what does it have to do with requested $25K price range - after lease 3 year old ML350 is about of $35K-$38K car.
OP posted the $25K price range. IIRC he didn't specifiy the vehicle had to be 3 years old. If a 3 year old ML350 goes for $35K-$38K then of course the OP's going to have to look at an older example.

A problem is that the economy being so bad has boosted the value of used cars some. Good used cars, especially ones that can serve as commuter cars, people haulers, even may be pull a small boat or camping or horse trailer, have had their prices come up.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:03 PM
akim47
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for $25K - used 2007 Lexus RX350, CPO. I know a couple of people who purchased ones exactly at this price point. 2007 is the old body style so you get a discount. My sis has an older RX330 in the same body style. Has 130K miles and going strong. For $25K, you get a reliabile DD with decent gas mileage ~18/25, enough HP, and an extended warranty just in case.

E53 - wouldn't recommend. Friend has one and at 88K miles it's starting to turn into a money pit. E70 looks much nicer but out of the price range unless you want to go REALLY high mileage. Even then, you'd have to settle for the 3.0 which is a PIG.

ML350 - never been big on this car. Anyways if you want the newest version iteration you prob spending more than your budget.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:23 PM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

We've had two ML350's over the years and were very happy with them. Comfortable, reasonably luxurious, and ours were reliable, both of them. I have a friend with a Range Rover and he has had serious problems with it. No experience with the BMW. We currently have a Mercedes GL, which is absolutely a great SUV, but I am afraid above the $25K budget.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:56 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beowulf
For DD reliability I would NOT go with anything from Range Rover/Land Rover; anyone who gives you this advice is giving you bad advice.
Wow - talk about over stated. I am a huge fan of Land Rovers because they rock in severe weather. Anyone who tells you differently is a fool!

Seriously, I have owned a '99 Disco Series II from new through 100K, and currently own an LR3 from new through 70k. We will be buying an LR4 this summer as I like the 80k mark as a time to flip the cars. We have had MIMIMAL ISSUES with both...

With that said, I hear the same postrive words about Lexus, though I tend to fly by them on the road during blizzards. Just sayin'...

-B
Old 01-14-2011, 11:18 PM
beowulf
Instructor

One can speak about personal experiences with a vehicle which is fine, but when you look at overall reliability the story may change dramatically. As far as land rovers:

"Finally, one cannot ignore the Land Rover's reputation as a mechanical liability. . . . [I]n the past the Range Rover has been one of the lowest-ranked vehicles in terms of reliability -- any of the other choices are likely to cause fewer headaches." -- Edmunds

Perhaps the Indian TaTa group can do something positive for one of England's most storied marques.
Interesting how a former Brit colony is saving this brand! LOL
Old 01-14-2011, 11:50 PM
neuneleven
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Considered an Acura MDX sport? May have a crazy snout but it conceals it's size quite well (cargo volume comparable to the GL class) and is a comfortable but sporty ride for an SUV....also is quite reliable. YOu could lay hands on a good specimen at 25-30K (Acura certified, 2-3 years old)
Old 01-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
Hi folks,

We finally need a second car and while we could go big, we have been thinking about spending around $25K for a used SUV. We are considering the following:

E53 X5 (frontrunner but am reading about reliability issues after 50K miles)
ML350
GLK350
What else?

Not considering Cayenne as we want something other than a Porsche for a daily car.
Stay away from the higher milage X5s. My business partner has nothing but problems. Go for a nice CPO LAnd Rover LR3. Mine was great!
Old 01-15-2011, 01:59 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, or VW. Nothing else compares. The others are just trucks.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:36 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, or VW. Nothing else compares. The others are just trucks.
Audi?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:45 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
What a lot of nonsense. The absolute daddy of SUVs and a contender for the best all-round vehicle ever built is indisputably the Range Rover, in Vogue trim.

I've had two and, despite their record for poor reliability, I never experienced more than a single failed sensor in 5 happy years.

However, the RR is not the answer to the OP's quest. At $25,000 it'll be a very leggy (and pricey to maintain) RR that dips under the bar.

For perfect 4WD road-holding and snow gripping, with great towing/carrying capacity, go for the Subaru Legacy estate (in 3 litre flat 6 spec B guise - yes a flat 6 boxer engine -sound familiar?). What a car! My wife has one and we fight over the keys constantly. If you must have a taller SUV, for that budget, go Japanese.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:49 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

I'd go with a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Sorry, all this Silly Useless Vehicle talk made me nod off. Am I still at Rennlist?
Old 01-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
I would be much more concerned with the reliability on an ML350 than
I would a nice pre-owned Range Rover Sport.

Range Rover has come a long way in the last five years.
Mercedes has been spiraling down significantly in the last five years.
as usual, you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

2008:

2009:

2010:

2010 dependability (based on 07 model year):

So landrover is nearly dead last in every quality study out there.

I hope you're a better attorney that you are with cars.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:02 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The 25K price range was why I suggested a 4Runner. A friend of mine picked up an '08 last year for $28k immaculate and loaded. And we were out in ice and snow in it the other night - was better than good.

I'd go newer/lower miles and lose the "luxury" Lexus or luxury badge to get the lower price with lower mileage - same for other marks with dual branding.

The Lexus RX to me isn't really an SUV - just a car with with a big body on it. I reckon it depends on why you get the SUV, but for me it has to have loads of space and be able to go into difficult terrain with no worries. The LX/Land Cruiser is by far the better at that - like a tank, but the GX/4Runner is substantial enough for most.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Touareg V8 with Adaptive Suspension. Great vehicle all around. I towed a 15' trailer for business all the time.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:26 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
What a lot of nonsense. The absolute daddy of SUVs and a contender for the best all-round vehicle ever built is indisputably the Range Rover, in Vogue trim.

I've had two and, despite their record for poor reliability, I never experienced more than a single failed sensor in 5 happy years....
You call it nonsense. I call it opinion. RR is a great truck, but if you are after driving dynamics...

The Audi crossovers are fine too, but they are not SUVs, are they?

Quick Reply: Need DD luxury SUV - any suggestions?