Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has the 6 Manual gone the way of the dodo bird?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:57 AM
lhd7
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

60 posts and no one's bitten so here goes
the missus can't drive a manual so the P cars are mine!!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:13 AM
yossarian
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Manual will always be my choice!

Tom
Ill second that. Its just a choice of engagement. Auto puts me in a lull. At least a stick makes me have to plan where to put the latte whilst answering the cell phone.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:21 AM
yossarian
Advanced

Originally Posted by ADias

Most PDK haters are either stubbornly ignorant about how the PDK is used or simply prejudicial.

As I said many times, we do not find manual tranny haters among PDK users. It is always the reverse. Manual tranny owners hating PDK. Some manual tranny users find a primal urge to express PDK hate and do it directly/aggressively, others do it nuanced. The latter often say 'PDK can be great, but for me I want 6-speed'; they added nothing to the thread, but found an instinctive need to put down PDK.

It does not matter. Choice is good!
Im not totally sure but I doubt there are many so called haters either way as porsche drivers. I know the first question my friends asked me when I picked up mine was if it was a MT. They had a bias, but also don't drive.. so screw em.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:11 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe it is an age thing - after 30+ years of MTs and loathing autos and the near miss of SMG, finally something else that actually works well, if not better - if performance is the goal. Kind of a "'s 'bout time" moment.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:29 AM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey...it's the weekly MT vs PDK discussion!

Having both, I can say that you can't go wrong with either. Just pick the transmission that you enjoy the most.

When driving the PDK, I never feel like I'm disconnected from the driving experience. It's fast and fun. Down shifts make you feel like a racing hero.

When driving the MT, I love the process of rowing the gears and trying to execute clean downshifts.

No losers in this debate.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Lubrecon
One of the best examples I have ever seen of the Pot calling the Kettle black!
My my, still sore about me calling you out for your misinformed opinion on another post. Aren't you the mature one...

Originally Posted by ADias
Your statement proves my point because it applies to you and not to me. I am a stick driver of many decades and just bought a 5-speed stick daily driver. I have a Porsche PDK and I do not go around trashing the stick-shift tranny...
I do hope you're a better driver than you are a logician or your Porsches must spend most of their time in the weeds

I also own a clutchless manumatic car and a) know how to use it to get the most from it; b) enjoy driving it immensely. But it's a sedan, not a Porsche 9xx. All I did was express my personal opinion that I would not want to own a Porsche 9xx with one...which you define as "trashing" because you can't stand to hear anyone express an opinion disagreeing with your own. Likewise I wouldn't want to own a 6-speed Panamera (well, ok, I wouldn't want a Panamera if someone gave it to me for free) or a 7-series Bimmer with a standard. I like Tim Tebow and I like *****, but I wouldn't like Tim Tebow with *****

Last edited by Palmbeacher; 02-11-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:39 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dhud
PDK vs. Manual was a decision I faced with my C4S and I had decided PDK. The sales manager at my local dealer loaned me a PDK and a manual to drive to my hearts delight one afternoon and when I came back I changed my mind. The PDK can shift faster than I can ever physically hope to do and launch control was physics defying. However, after the novelty of the launch control and sport plus wore off, I basically used the PDK as an automatic tranny. The manual, though slower, made me feel more involved in the driving experience. So, I concluded the PDK is absolutely brilliant and it can beat my ability to shift but it removed me one more level from the driving experience. In the end, I got the manual. Unfortunatley though, I agree with the above comments, the manual will probably eventually become very scarce if not disappear. I was shocked Ferrari dropped it from the 458 Italia and doesn't even offer it as an option. I also should mention that I have the luxury of a Cayenne with an auto tranny to drive if I tire of shifting. If I was using the 911 as a daily driver and my only means of transportation, the PDK would make a very compelling argument. It is nice to see the opinions of others as I have contemplated this issue often.
Great post. I totally feel the same way.

My solution is to have a PDK car for a track/summer car to be more competitive and keep my old car for a DD and when heading to the track for pure fun.
I would never stop driving the manual as a DD even though some think it's a pain. I love it and it keeps your skill level high.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Lugs H
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Latest PCA e-mail news letter had an article on the 991 GT3. It stated that it would be a 4 liter with an available PDKs transmission.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Lubrecon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
My my, still sore about me calling you out for your misinformed opinion on another post. Aren't you the mature one...
Not sore about anything Prof. BTW, don't think I remember you ever supporting your academic knowledge about bearing lubrication or thermostat operation with any real world documentation as requested by others. But then I forgot that it was just your academic opinion on those two topics, and you know what opinions are like(especially academic ones)....right?? Right, and everyone has one of those also!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Lubrecon
Not sore about anything Prof. BTW, don't think I remember you ever supporting your academic knowledge about bearing lubrication or thermostat operation with any real world documentation as requested by others.
Sorry, on another forum someone your intellectual equivalent has proclaimed that the theory of gravity is my "opinion", thus I'm currently waiting for an apple to fall on my head as proof. As soon as that's done, I have to prove that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west (also my "opinion", according to another gentleman of your calibre on an internet forum). Then I'll get to work proving for you that oil is thinner than grease

and you know what opinions are like(especially academic ones)....right?? Right, and everyone has one of those also!
Based on the inaccuracies, it's clear your opinions originate from there. Mine derive from science however.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:53 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ok, changing gears here but is that a stick in the new MB C CLass?!!! OMG
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2011, 03:53 PM
zanwar
Pro

Like so many things, driving a manual transmission is all about doing something the wrong way, but learning to do it brilliantly. PDK might have better performance, but I've never felt that it actually makes the car more enjoyable to drive. There'll always be a few of us that prefer a manual, so Porsche will continue to make them for a while yet.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
There'll always be a few of us that prefer a manual, so Porsche will continue to make them for a while yet.
The second part of that statement doesn't necessarily follow the first, but I hope you're right.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:36 PM
zanwar
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The second part of that statement doesn't necessarily follow the first, but I hope you're right.
It's all about demand. There's enough demand to warrant production of the GT cars, the Turbo, the Targa, etc. There's plenty of demand for manual transmissions. Whether you'll be able to find one in stock on a dealer lot is a different question, but I don't see them disappearing completely for at least another couple of model cycles.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:40 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not any age thing at all. Got my 07 C2S in my early 30s, enjoyed the 6-speed for the last 3.5 years as a DD and often in traffic.

Test drove a 2011 C2S Cabriolet with PDK and SC last month )whilst still in my 30s) and was blown away. I never thought I would associate "thrilling" with an automated transmission but I had a blast. In Sports Plus mode, the upshifting was aggressive allowing the RPMs to spool up in gear and I must say the rev-matching on downshifts was absolutely sublime. At the end of the day, I'm still a 3 pedal guy but I will seriously consider PDK if I move to a 991.

Quick Reply: Has the 6 Manual gone the way of the dodo bird?