Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has the 6 Manual gone the way of the dodo bird?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:18 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT3 has a SUNROOF for pete's sake.. I think that already proves its "jumped the shark"

You can't spin a PDK equipped car because there are too many other "nanny" safety features built in
Old 02-14-2011, 04:49 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racer
GT3 has a SUNROOF for pete's sake.. I think that already proves its "jumped the shark"
997.2 GT3 does not have sunroof.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Lubrecon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Then I'll get to work proving for you that oil is thinner than grease
Since you never provided any proof of your bearing lubrication position, or thermostat operation theory, debunked by Baz, I don't think anyone here will be waiting for your proof "that oil is thinner than grease" treatise. But you might want to discuss what component of grease lubricates those greater clearance bearings you believe exist for grease applications. But then you would have to know something about lubrication to discuss that, and your reluctance to back up your positions demonstrates, dare I say, ignorance, on the topic of lubrication, and bearings in particular, not to mention thermostat operation.

Careful Prof....you're exposing your elitist insecurities!!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:38 PM
rlips
Instructor

not only does the mk2 gt3 not have a sunroof, you can turn off all the nannies ('xcept the ABS), and, the horizon is all yours! It will spin....
Old 02-14-2011, 09:23 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rlips
not only does the mk2 gt3 not have a sunroof, you can turn off all the nannies ('xcept the ABS), and, the horizon is all yours! It will spin....
Ron, Is this anecdotal or are there pics/vid you're withholding ??

Going to Schat's March event? PM me.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:48 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You can't spin a PDK equipped car because there are too many other "nanny" safety features built in
So you have not been in a GT3...and what about a PDK car?

Porsche has been putting sunroofs in the cars since before they were 911s. Suddenly that is a bad thing? Is the cabrio an even greater heresy - they've been doing that a while too?

Sometimes the animosity here for something other than what you have or prefer is simply bizarre.

And I wonder about the guessing - how many here would be under 10 years in a manual transmission (or under 20?) if we did a poll and how many would be under 10 hours (or 1 hour) in PDK? Yet, everyone seems to be equally an expert on both.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:56 PM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by stevepow
So you have not been in a GT3...and what about a PDK car?

Porsche has been putting sunroofs in the cars since before they were 911s. Suddenly that is a bad thing? Is the cabrio an even greater heresy - they've been doing that a while too?

Sometimes the animosity here for something other than what you have or prefer is simply bizarre.

And I wonder about the guessing - how many here would be under 10 years in a manual transmission (or under 20?) if we did a poll and how many would be under 10 hours (or 1 hour) in PDK? Yet, everyone seems to be equally an expert on both.
1) Latest ride was a 997.1 GT3 and thought I recalled a friends annoyance of "why does the GT3 have a sunroof!" and was in playful respone to someone mentioning "the end is near when a PDK comes in a GT3".. my point was, there are lots of "amenities" already in a GT3 compared to a 40 year old 2.7 RS that seems to be a "mecca" in the Porsche world. So, a GT3 Cab? that would seem at odds to with the marketing machine

2) Again, I like both (manual and pdk availabilities). I've driven manual trans cars for 24 years and motorcycles for another 8 (that makes 32 of my 39 years). Just because I enjoy them doesn't get back to the OP question of, "will the manual trans go the way of the dodo".. imho, it will, absolutely, and I think sooner than many imagine (though that may be another 10-15 years as I mentioned early on)

3) I have yet to drive a PDK. I have driven Tips (autos) and DSG (volkswagens Double clutch system) and manuals. I'd love to drive a PDK as I imagine the chances of instructing in one at the Track or AX venues will be pretty soon given their sales success/dealer order rates
Old 02-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Trust me, with PSM off and enough exuberance in a tight corner it is most definitely possible to spin a PDK equipped car. Or so I've heard.....
Old 02-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

I guess I'm to practical to buy a PDK when I can get a 6 speed for free and it's more fun to drive. I can understand some people wanting them so there wife can drive the car, yes I know some ladies can drive a 6 speed. But for me the engagement of the manuel and the challange of making the perfect shift keeps me entertained. I have never driven a PDK car, but I'm affraid I would get bored with it real quick.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
I guess I'm to practical to buy a PDK when I can get a 6 speed for free and it's more fun to drive. I can understand some people wanting them so there wife can drive the car, yes I know some ladies can drive a 6 speed. But for me the engagement of the manuel and the challange of making the perfect shift keeps me entertained. I have never driven a PDK car, but I'm affraid I would get bored with it real quick.
Just two quick comments. First, since you've never driven a PDK car it's a bit presumptuous to say a stick is more fun. How can you know? I get as much enjoyment from driving my PDK car as I did my MT but for slightly different reasons. Also, I doubt many PDK owners bought to please their wives. I didn't. I bought PDK because it's faster and more flexible than the MT's I've always owned, especially on track. Not being disagreeable, just disagreeing a little.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-15-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: wish i could type better

Quick Reply: Has the 6 Manual gone the way of the dodo bird?