Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love/hate you PDK! But now I'm free...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get why this subject elicits such heated debates either. Personally, even if Porsche comes up with a neurological interface that connects every control to my synapses, where the car does exactly what I think, when I think it, I still wouldn't take a second look at it. When it comes to the transmission in a sports car, I want to work it with my hands and legs. It really is as simple as that to me.

What does that preference have to do with those who prefer the PDK?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Relax, you are tunneling yourself into the semantic.

Regards,
I feel pretty darn relaxed, thanks. Was simply pointing out your errors in stating that sequential racing boxes were relevant to a discussion of transmissions in street cars and that the 918 RSR used a manual transmission. Hope you're feeling relaxed as well.

Cheers

Originally Posted by Ucube
When it comes to the transmission in a sports car, I want to work it with my hands and legs. It really is as simple as that to me.

What does that preference have to do with those who prefer the PDK?
When it comes to the transmission in a sports car, I want maximum performance and efficiency for my dollar. It really is as simple as that to me.
Used to be those two things came with a MT, now they are characteristic of gearboxes like PDK so I chose PDK.

You're absolutely right, my preferences should have nothing to do with yours. Unfortunately there are a few people who think that their preference is superior, to the point that they feel the need to make contentious comments and subtle and not so subtle put downs about other's choices. That is what creates most of the discussion around this topic; not some silly argument about which transmission is "better".
Old 03-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

^Agree with Mike and Charlie.

Don't understand why people need to argue about preference at all. It is a personal choice.

If I have both manual and PDK in my garage and I love them both, does that make me bisexual?

...actually I prefer manual more, as the stick is more straight...
Old 03-17-2011, 06:21 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I feel pretty darn relaxed, thanks. Was simply pointing out your errors in stating that sequential racing boxes were relevant to a discussion of transmissions in street cars and that the 918 RSR used a manual transmission. Hope you're feeling relaxed as well.
Sign. Mike, if you did read post #69 carefully and completely, you would have seen that it was responding to the bold sentence in the quote from another forumer -- '...about Porsche chose to put a PDK variant in their race cars rather than a manual...' You automatically tunneled in with your road car focus, and failed to see that the post was talking about the race cars.

And if you have read the whole sentense '...straight-toothed constant-mesh manual transmission...' I thought it should have been cleared to most folks that it was referring to a sequential manual gearbox, but if you must tunnel into the exact word, I have added the word 'sequential' in there to make it more clear.

For the record, I do not pro or against any kind of gearbox. In fact, in my garage next to my 997.2 GT3, I also have a Mercedes as my daily drive and I love it.

Regards,
Old 03-17-2011, 09:38 PM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I love my PDK, but sometimes I miss a 6-speed. My "other car" is a VW GTI w/6-speed, so that helps a little.

Although I love my PDK, I do get a little tired of people asking if I have an automatic. I then start explaining that it's a dual-clutch marvel and it's the latest thing, but all they think is "automatic" and I am subsequently shunned like a leper. I then try to distract them with the wart.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Sign. Mike, if you did read post #69 carefully and completely, you would have seen that it was responding to the bold sentence in the quote from another forumer -- '...about Porsche chose to put a PDK variant in their race cars rather than a manual...' You automatically tunneled in with your road car focus, and failed to see that the post was talking about the race cars.

And if you have read the whole sentense '...straight-toothed constant-mesh manual transmission...' I thought it should have been cleared to most folks that it was referring to a sequential manual gearbox, but if you must tunnel into the exact word, I have added the word 'sequential' in there to make it more clear.

For the record, I do not pro or against any kind of gearbox. In fact, in my garage next to my 997.2 GT3, I also have a Mercedes as my daily drive and I love it.

Regards,
Apologies for my part in the misunderstanding. I assume we are all now fully relaxed.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:00 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by jimjoe997
I love my PDK, but sometimes I miss a 6-speed. My "other car" is a VW GTI w/6-speed, so that helps a little.

Although I love my PDK, I do get a little tired of people asking if I have an automatic. I then start explaining that it's a dual-clutch marvel and it's the latest thing, but all they think is "automatic" and I am subsequently shunned like a leper. I then try to distract them with the wart.
That's exactly right. My other car is a 6 speed. It does get tiresome trying to explain what PDK is and that's it's not an auto.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:46 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

My personal preference is MT, but the PDK is truly welcomed technology that will soon catch on with others. Despite my back issues, I rather shift and take Motrin before and after a nice spirited drive.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:25 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Apologies for my part in the misunderstanding. I assume we are all now fully relaxed.
No apologies needed. I could have written better myself as well.

Let's all enjoy our cars. Cheers

Quick Reply: I love/hate you PDK! But now I'm free...