Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love/hate you PDK! But now I'm free...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 03:33 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I love/hate you PDK! But now I'm free...

See, this has been the problem-

I've always picked the car that I wanted to own and then started on a process of either building/ordering that car or searching for the best possible iteration of that car that I could find in the market.

For me "best possible iteration" has always included, amongst other things; the highest performing outcome of any of the option variables.

My path has been pretty easy when it came to transmissions. The manual version always out performed the auto version in ANY car; at least until PDKs came along - blowing both the performance and the fuel economy legs out from under the long standing manual transmission champion.

So, in keeping with with my "best possible iteration" philosophy I was forced to concede that my next 911 would indeed be a PDK.

Until I drove one.

Or more significantly, until I started to think about what I really enjoyed about driving my C2S for that 99.99% of the time when I'm just tooling around the city or I'm on a short country cruise.

The snick, snick, snick of the shifter, my not always completely smooth clutch take-up when starting on a steep hill; the occasional bumping of the throttle cut-off (like in that split second it takes to hit redline in first) because I've floored it and didn't sweep my eyes quickly enough to catch the tach.

I wanted to get a better understanding of my pleasures so the next time I rented a car (auto of course), I really paid attention to why that experience was so different than what I had back home, regardless of whether it was the C2S or my other manual car.

Then I did a short jaunt with a PDK 911 just to confirm what I had already figured out. My friends might all drive PDKs, AMGs and GT-Rs but I no longer feel a need to make amends.

It's time to amend my philosophy - for me the driving will always be about the manual transmission. I've come to realize that there's something there that's way more important for me than a 0.2/sec 0-60 advantage that might be meaningful in the remaining .01% of my driving.

Now I sleep better. Thank you PDK.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:48 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Amen! You totally summarized EXACTLY how I feel about PDK! Great performing transmission in many respects while lacking the feel of manual.

Maybe it's because we Canucks just GET IT!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:17 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
... my not always completely smooth clutch take-up when starting on a steep hill; the occasional bumping of the throttle cut-off (like in that split second it takes to hit redline in first) because I've floored it and didn't sweep my eyes quickly enough to catch the tach...
So... you just concluded that what entices you are your own driver failures.

How romantic/nostalgic to expound the little driver's errors. I would be more impressed by a statement of proficiency with perfect shifts (up or down), especially 'tooling around the city or [when] on a short country cruise'.

Both posts above (1 and 2) show how PDK-illiterate their authors are. A PDK is an advanced sequential that must be learned to operate proficiently, and to achieve that takes way longer than the typical test drive - D mode is for boulevard riders. To compare a PDK experience to an auto rental experience is simply laughable.

And... do not shoot the messenger. I drive both. The difference is I do not deride the H-pattern.

Last edited by ADias; 03-15-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: changed word meaning
Old 03-15-2011, 04:45 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Agreed in principal.

Fact of the matter is, no matter what some may say, the FEEL of manual can and NEVER will be delivered with PDK. It's just that simple. SIMILARLY, the shifting speed of the PDK can and NEVER will be delivered with a manual transmission.

How important that feel or shifting speed is to someone is totally subjective and is as much as saying do you like Gray or Red Porsches! Both are great cars, made for different folks and I am just glad that we HAVE the option to choose which color or transmission one wants!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:53 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Great post. Until PDK, there was NO decision for me, manual only. I have never driven PDK but I at least admit that, maybe, I should consider it next time I am making a decision. I certainly understand its virtues and even admit there are occasional times in heavy traffic where it could be practical, and I understand learning to drive it in manual mode would take some time and would enhance the experience. BUT, I still think the leaning towards manual would be >50%, it's in my blood.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:32 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

New Jersey gets it too!! Excellent post OP.....my feelings exactly! You couldn't give me a PDK...ever.

Tom
Old 03-15-2011, 07:48 AM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Maybe it's because we Canucks just GET IT!
What's that.. a poke in the eye to those of us who reside south of the border who chose to buy a PDK car over a manual?

After nearly a year of ownership, I'm a convert. I'd never go back to a manual. Once the PDK is mastered, it's absolutey stunning in it's performance. Maybe that's why Porsche chose to put a PDK variant in their race cars rather than a manual.. ahem..
Old 03-15-2011, 07:56 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias

How romantic/nostalgic to expound the little foibles. I would be more impressed by a statement of proficiency with perfect shifts (up or down), especially 'tooling around the city or [when] on a short country cruise'.

Both posts above (1 and 2) show how PDK-illiterate their authors are. A PDK is an advanced sequential that must be learned to operate proficiently, and to achieve that takes way longer than the typical test drive - D mode is for boulevard riders. To compare a PDK experience to an auto rental experience is simply laughable.

And... do not shoot the messenger. I drive both. The difference is I do not deride the H-pattern.
Why do you continuously feel the need to belittle, and in some cases, insult those that post about preferring a manual over a PDK? They are posting a personal preference, not stating a fact. And if they want to trash the PDK, then so be it. They are trashing a thing, not attacking person or their ideas. Disagree with their choice/opinion, but stop the personal jabs and innuendo that they are less informed or less intelligent than you. Let it go!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:12 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Why do you continuously feel the need to belittle, and in some cases, insult those that post about preferring a manual over a PDK? They are posting a personal preference, not stating a fact. And if they want to trash the PDK, then so be it. They are trashing a thing, not attacking person or their ideas. Disagree with their choice/opinion, but stop the personal jabs and innuendo that they are less informed or less intelligent than you. Let it go!
Thank you.

Following the PDK logic, anyone who chose to drive to work for the pleasure of enjoying their car in a major metropolitan area instead of utilizing the speed and efficiency of mass transit would also be a fool.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Thank you Tim, well said.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Skibum
Banned

Originally Posted by TommyV44
New Jersey gets it too!! Excellent post OP.....my feelings exactly! You couldn't give me a PDK...ever.

Tom
Connecticut gets it...
Old 03-15-2011, 10:37 AM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias

How romantic/nostalgic to expound the little foibles. I would be more impressed by a statement of proficiency with perfect shifts (up or down), especially 'tooling around the city or [when] on a short country cruise'.

This really is becoming tiresome, and your post truly is one of the most condescending and patronizing posts that I've ever read here on Rennlist.

This whole PDK-bashing notion that you continually raise only exists in your mind. Anyone with a different opinion is derided, usually in a confrontational way and almost always in the same patronizing style. You are simply proving the theory that if you choose to look hard enough for something, you'll probably find it in the end - whether it was there or not.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:41 AM
texas911
Race Car

Isn't choice a great thing?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:59 AM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I took delivery of a brand new 2010 C2S in Dec which has been in storage ever since and never driven. It's a MT and I am having second thoughts. I now wish I had bought a PDK although I've never driven one. I may be wrong but I think the MT will soon be obsolete. I hope I'm wrong.

No flaming,please,it's only an opinion......
Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i think PDK is phenomenal in general and even more of a monster on the track. not only that but i'm proud that a company i admire and whose cars i absolutely love is behind this technology which is one of the best in the biz. if i had a chance to pick one up for a good deal, i...simply wouldnt.

sorry but i just love driving a MT. hey, i may be slower around the track and have more knee/elbow pain in traffic, but dammit i love shifting thru those gears! nothing wrong with either system, just personal pref.

Quick Reply: I love/hate you PDK! But now I'm free...