Sponsored by:

Tweaked Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:26 AM
andrewinla
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tweaked Mileage

Someone at work told me how his girlfriend/friend (don't know him that well) drove their Porsche almost 40k miles and turned it in after somehow changing mileage to below the 30k mile allowance under the lease. I was tempted to call Porsche but I just knew when car was turned in and the color of the car.

I ended up seeing a repair bill for this car on the guys desk.
I took a quick pic of it with the vin.
I googled the vin.
To my surprise the car is for sale in a different state.
The shocker is that it is being sold as a certified vehicle at a Porsche dealer!
This really scares me about my search for a low mileage 997 now.
I know if there is no paper trail I will not even consider it.

Thinking about calling Carfax to report that the speedometer is probably tampered with.

I'm assuming speedo was changed, doesn't that have to be reported and isn't that evident? Doesn't a certified check include this?
Old 03-17-2011, 04:53 AM
keynes
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Story seems shady. How do you end up taking a picture of a repair bill on the desk of someone you don't know that well, someone you describe as "girlfriend/friend (don't know HIM that well).
On the other hand, you should already know that cars or their paperwork are tampered with on a regular basis.

The car I drive had a salvage title when I bought it, now it doesn't (no fault of mine).
Joey
Old 03-17-2011, 05:22 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Actually, I heard of this before on a Cayenne. As you probably know, it is a felony to misrepresent the mileage of an automobile by having the odometer altered. If the vehicle was routinely serviced within Porsche circles that in itself would leave a traceable track record of the mileage life of the vehicle. I would contact Carfax to report what you know definitively.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:57 PM
andrewinla
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really dont care what you think of the story, you sound like the shady person.
The people and situation may not be 100% accurate but is close.
I just dont need someone coming after me for turning them in.

Im also a concerned person and I did report it to Carfax to let them know they have an issue with a car having a clean bill of health. I feel bad for the person who ends up with this car I am trying to figure out way to report it.

If I was the shady guy I wouldnt post this here and try to make it right.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:25 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewinla
I really dont care what you think of the story, you sound like the shady person.
The people and situation may not be 100% accurate but is close.
I just dont need someone coming after me for turning them in.

Im also a concerned person and I did report it to Carfax to let them know they have an issue with a car having a clean bill of health. I feel bad for the person who ends up with this car I am trying to figure out way to report it.

If I was the shady guy I wouldnt post this here and try to make it right.
Welllll......story smells to me also. You would be surprised the extent some folks will go to troll a board. Are we supposed to get upset? Worry? Lose sleep? Disclaimer: If this is legit: sorry
Old 03-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewinla
Someone at work told me how his girlfriend/friend (don't know him that well) drove their Porsche almost 40k miles and turned it in after somehow changing mileage to below the 30k mile allowance under the lease. I was tempted to call Porsche but I just knew when car was turned in and the color of the car.

I ended up seeing a repair bill for this car on the guys desk.
I took a quick pic of it with the vin.
I googled the vin.
To my surprise the car is for sale in a different state.
The shocker is that it is being sold as a certified vehicle at a Porsche dealer!
This really scares me about my search for a low mileage 997 now.
I know if there is no paper trail I will not even consider it.

Thinking about calling Carfax to report that the speedometer is probably tampered with.

I'm assuming speedo was changed, doesn't that have to be reported and isn't that evident? Doesn't a certified check include this?
You have to be careful about what an acquaintance (someone at work is one example to be sure) with a friend or girlfriend and what this friend or girlfiend did.

Too many times this info is well just not correct.

So if you go and in this case report an odometer tamper you may be basing your report on well in the worst case a lie.

Unless you have direct knowledge a vehicle's odometer has been tampered with you are probably better off just forgetting what you were told.

If you have direct knowledge a vehicle's odometer was tampered with and in this case if the car is being offered for sale as a certified vehicle by a Porsche dealer, one course of action (maybe) might be to make this known to PCNA and let them deal with it. They might call up the dealer and ask it to confirm the car's odometer has not been tampered with.

But without direct knowledge you're working on hearsay and hearsay ain't worth squat.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:07 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Agree - just ask the Renault execs in France about false claims.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:24 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

When I want to roll back my mileage I just jack it up off the ground, put it in reverse, and put a brick on the gas pedal. Must be careful though. Once I did this with my dad's Ferrari and it fell off the jack and...ouch. Dad was not happy.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bueller? Is that you?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
When I want to roll back my mileage I just jack it up off the ground, put it in reverse, and put a brick on the gas pedal. Must be careful though. Once I did this with my dad's Ferrari and it fell off the jack and...ouch. Dad was not happy.
At least you have the memory of watching Sloane undress before you and Ferris and Sloane went for a dip in the pool.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:42 PM
jwh445
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's Cameron, not Bueller
Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately or fortunately the Porsche sensor is electronic, it adds to mileage regardless of direction
Old 03-21-2011, 09:02 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

So, a friend of a friend told you something and now you report it and cause potential issues with a future purchaser/seller.

What could cause you to stick your head in to this if you are not buying the car? Is the record you have a picture of a paper showing the instrument cluster and all associated computers being exchanged or something?

Quick Reply: Tweaked Mileage