Car cover experience - Need your advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:06 PM
403portside
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Car cover experience - Need your advice

Hi everyone,

I am considering buying an indoor car cover for my C2S cab.

- The car will be garaged indoor, but next to other cars and it would be great if it could protect against possible door dings.

- Do you recommend OEM or another brand?

- Do they come with some sort of padding to protect the body?

- My car will be used on weekends primarily. Will it be too much of a pain to remove/cover so often?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-19-2011, 07:12 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
Hi everyone,

I am considering buying an indoor car cover for my C2S cab.

- The car will be garaged indoor, but next to other cars and it would be great if it could protect against possible door dings.

- Do you recommend OEM or another brand?

- Do they come with some sort of padding to protect the body?

- My car will be used on weekends primarily. Will it be too much of a pain to remove/cover so often?

Thanks in advance!
OEM has no padding. With multiple cover and remove you always stand the chance of scratching. Unless you really live in a dusty area, I'd save your money.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:20 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The only scratch on my car came from a car cover. I won't go near another one.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I have an OEM indoor cover for my car. It does not have padding but it is very soft on the inside and fits perfectly. I only cover it during the winter months ( and with a battery maintainer) when not driving the car. During the warmer months March through November, I drive the car on weekends and do not cover the car during the week.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:23 PM
403portside
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks everyone. So it sounds like I may be overdoing it with the cover.

I actually wanted to buy it to prevent a random scratch from someone walking by or perhaps a ding from the guy next to me parking too close.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.doorshox.com/
http://www.topoftheline.com/garage-a...protector.html
Old 03-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

OK my $.02. I've used car covers on dozens of vehicles indoors and out for the last 40 years including ones with dark colors like black and burgandy. I've never had a scratch that could be attributed to a car cover and I've seen contact many times that would have caused one if the car cover hadn't been in place.

Porsche used to make a great silver breathable cover with flannel lining over the fenders, nose and tail. but it's no longer available AFAIK. The Covercraft Evolution 4 covers work well as they are relatively soft, won't trap moisture, dry quickly if they get wet, are thick enough to offer some mechanical protection, yet aren't so bulky that they can't be folded and stored easily.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:12 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car cover preference? Coverking's Autobody Armor. It fits the 911 like a glove. Check out Coverking's material properties list here:

http://www.coverking.com/customcarcovers_materials.html

As for door protection when parked, take a look at my review of magnetic door protectors here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...rotectors.html

Old 03-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 160 Posts

My all-weather car cover did some micro-scratching on my Black 997S.
I'd imagine the indoor, flannel lined covers are much more forgiving.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:48 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sclemmons
The only scratch on my car came from a car cover. I won't go near another one.
My experience was with an outside cover from Porsche which has a pair of metal links which shut inside the trunk to make the cover theft proof. Great idea, but I had no idea they were between the cover and my car, and as I struggled to get it on, I moved them around.

So it was not the fault of the cover, but I am not smooth enough to deal with the complexity of the cover with the links. And I wish I had never tried the cover on my car.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
My experience was with an outside cover from Porsche which has a pair of metal links which shut inside the trunk to make the cover theft proof. Great idea, but I had no idea they were between the cover and my car, and as I struggled to get it on, I moved them around.

So it was not the fault of the cover, but I am not smooth enough to deal with the complexity of the cover with the links. And I wish I had never tried the cover on my car.
Metal bits on a car cover just seem like a poor design to me so I wouldn't blame yourself. Sorry for your mishap.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:04 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Metal bits on a car cover just seem like a poor design to me so I wouldn't blame yourself. Sorry for your mishap.
It was a factory cover. To them, it is not a defect, it's a feature. I just was not practiced at installing one.

Another fault of the car cover: it presumes our cars are clean, and they better be, or we have a mess in a hurry. Thus, I don't want to go near another one, factory or not.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished my spring cleaning-P21S wash, clay bar, Zanio, & P21S wax. The car looks great. BUT, there are some rock chips and two very light scratches. I love my car, like most on this board; but I also realize that scratches are a given. You could go with the indoor cover, etc and then some idiot in a parking lot bashes your car in. Drive it & enjoy the car. Cheers.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:21 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup.

If what worries you is dings in a parking lot, then a cover will do nothing. You want one of these magnetic stick on door bumper things.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:41 PM
BMWtoo
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the indoor OEM cover and use it as Fahrer does, to cover the car in the garage in the winter. I think its good protection from scratches when someone in the family might bump against it with a bag of groceries, trash barrell, etc. It also comes down and covers the tail pipes, so I assume it would deter mice or other critters from heading in the tailpipes.

Quick Reply: Car cover experience - Need your advice