997 Bad Experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 06:43 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Nearly every factory Porsche color has multiple variations, which is why getting this done with the car present is critical, AND getting a top notch paint shop involved is also critical. Dealers are rarely good body and paint shops. Find the best of the best in your region (call PCA chapters, Ferrari Club chapters, etc) and go see the work personally, meet the shop owners, painters, etc.

Demand sprayouts in each of the variances known so that you, the painter, the shop owner and at least one other set of eyes can see what looks best in shade, sun, etc.

This is the best way to do this.

Yes, we paint bumperettes and other trim to the 'standard' formula and rarely have issues like this, but with the wing, I'd consider the steps I've listed and get it done.

Don't let the cosmetic issues detract from the enjoyment of what is likely a phenomenal car otherwise, but make sure PCNA hears you loud and clear, and get this done by a top notch pro, not through the dealer.

Good luck with it.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 03-26-2011, 09:51 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

I know how you feel. The most expensive car I ever bought new was the Audi in my sig and the transmissions thunked badly. It was upsetting and irritating to have it out of service immediately after buying it but they did fix it and now I really like it. Get the 997 fixed, drive it and enjoy it. You'll be happier for it.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:10 AM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2007 CPO base 997 delivered-by closed transport from Virginia to Florida a few weeks ago and it had a few minor scratches from the previous owner. Should have had a full tank of gas as part of CPO but it only had only 1 gallon. The CPO checklist had "full tank of gas" checked off. I'm billing the dealer $58 for that. Otherwise, considering the car is 4 years old, it was delivered in excellent condition.

There is no excuse for a brand new Porsche not to be delivered in immaculate condition. That is an absolute scandal and I'm very sorry to hear about it.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:55 AM
BLKonBLKC4S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hpowders
I had a 2007 CPO base 997 delivered-by closed transport from Virginia to Florida a few weeks ago and it had a few minor scratches from the previous owner. Should have had a full tank of gas as part of CPO but it only had only 1 gallon. The CPO checklist had "full tank of gas" checked off. I'm billing the dealer $58 for that. Otherwise, considering the car is 4 years old, it was delivered in excellent condition.

There is no excuse for a brand new Porsche not to be delivered in immaculate condition. That is an absolute scandal and I'm very sorry to hear about it.
I am pretty sure when you transport a car they have to empty the gas. The most they can have in the tank is 1/4 tank of gas I am not sure if is a law, for safety purposes, or for weight.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:45 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKonBLKC4S
I am pretty sure when you transport a car they have to empty the gas. The most they can have in the tank is 1/4 tank of gas I am not sure if is a law, for safety purposes, or for weight.
I've had 5 cars transported over the last 6 years and have never been asked to empty gas beforehand. Probably if you're shipping on a boat or an airplane, yes but not in an auto transport.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:22 AM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar experience with my 997 last summer. The a/c quit the second day I owned the car.. The dealer picked it up, repaired it, brought it back and a week later it quit again. Again, they came and got it, 'fixed' it, and brought it back. It happened a third time about a month later.. By then I'd had about all the J.D. Powers reliablity BS that one man can handle. I was ready to buy a Toyota Yaris..

Fortunately for me, I have a friend who was the Sales Manager at another BMW/Porsche dealership close by. I told him what was going on, and he told me not to get too upset, that PCNA would stand behind me 100%. He said they take their reliability rating record very seriously, and if the car couldn't be fixed, they'd either fix it or replace it.

I felt like you did, until the car came back from the 3rd 'fix'. It's been seven months since the last trip to the dealer, and everything is good to go.

300 miles is a good day-trip.. You need to let Porsche fix the car, then go enjoy it.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:01 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I can understand that you are dissatisfied, but are you really going to let this prevent you from enjoying the car? 300 miles in several months? No drives other than to the dealer?

Can you seriously not get in the car and go for a drive and have fun and experience Porsche for all that it's worth and not worry that your wing is a slightly different color?

Don't get me wrong, I'd want my wing fixed so that the car is perfect too...but go put some miles on the car. if you're not smiling from ear to ear on the way back than maybe it's the wrong car for you and you're just looking for reasons not to like it.

Just my $0.02.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:54 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I would simply do what all people do after they buy new wing/bumper - take wing off, go to paint shop and for $300-$400 get it 100% color matched. or you can spend some of your time (2-5 hours) fighting service manager to make them pay for that.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:50 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BLKonBLKC4S
I didn't know that. Shoot! I complained about that on the Porsche survey. I guess the dealer will lecture me on that one. I will tell him-sorry I read it on Rennlist-after I filed the report. My bad.

I will call 1-800-Porsche tomorrow morning and attempt to intercept the content of the survey to correct the gas tank mistake I made. It would have been nice if the dealer gave me a heads up on that-since the CPO checklist had a check mark next to "a full tank of gas." I didn't know.

Thanks for the info. Too bad I didn't read your post yesterday.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:35 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by hpowders
I didn't know that. Shoot! I complained about that on the Porsche survey. I guess the dealer will lecture me on that one. I will tell him-sorry I read it on Rennlist-after I filed the report. My bad.

I will call 1-800-Porsche tomorrow morning and attempt to intercept the content of the survey to correct the gas tank mistake I made. It would have been nice if the dealer gave me a heads up on that-since the CPO checklist had a check mark next to "a full tank of gas." I didn't know.

Thanks for the info. Too bad I didn't read your post yesterday.
Not sure that's true in most cases. I've had several cars shipped and they had full tanks.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:50 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billh1963
Not sure that's true in most cases. I've had several cars shipped and they had full tanks.
Okay. I will stand by what I sent to Porsche in the survey. The CPO checklist they sent me had a check next to "a full tank of gas". I had to put $55 of gas in the tank. After starting the car for the first time, the low gas warning came on and the needle was flirting with empty. I'm sure the head sales guy will be calling me within a few days. I will let him explain about the gas.

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:54 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I've had 5 cars transported over the last 6 years and have never been asked to empty gas beforehand. Probably if you're shipping on a boat or an airplane, yes but not in an auto transport.
It was closed transport from Virginia to Florida. My beef is the CPO checklist had a check next to "a full tank of gas". On delivery, the tank was close to empty and the warning of low gas was on the screen. I pumped $55 of Shell 93 into my thirsty "new" baby-an hour after delivery.

I appreciate your input.

Carry on....

Last edited by hpowders; 03-28-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:35 PM
mschwa3439
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

U NEVER SHUD HAVE TAKEN DELIVERY OF THE CAR UNTIL ALL WAS IN ORDER TO YOUR SATISFACTION. NOW U HAVE NO LEVERAGE WHATSOEVER. SORRY TO HEAR THIS STORY.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:59 AM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that. It happened to my wife's Audi and it was quite the fight with Audi! So, last time I picked up my Panamera, I told them to put it on a lift for me to look at it. They belly ached a little, but I certainly had a good look!

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

All,
I appreciate all your comments. Very much appreciated.
I think all of you are right: I need to get on with it, cause I tend to be a little too **** about small things. And it is CARRARA White, not Carrera—who would’ve thunk?
Maybe I needed to be a little more direct with the dealer, but, you know, they really are trying to make it better. They’ve not given me a hard time about it once. This morning I dropped off the car and they are measuring the paint shade and ordering another new wing by color code instead of by VIN#. They would not send it to a body shop to get the wing repainted. They said they have done this before and the results are nearly 100%. I can only take their word for it, but my eyes will ultimately judge it.
I got to spend the weekend driving the car—it was the first weekend that I wasn’t traveling, or it wasn’t snowing, or freezing rain, or anything, so I got to spend pretty much both days simply driving everywhere. It reminded me why I bought the car in the first place. I couldn’t put it away last night. I couldn’t stop smiling while driving it or simply staring at it while parked. I went to the local Starbuck’s—I didn’t really need or wanted a coffee—but it was another reason to get in it and get out. People stared as they passed by it. I got the thumbs up from many. I got smiles from cute girls. Suddenly I realized the wing color had blended in so well with the rest of the car that I thought my eyes were deceiving me. Well, they were. In a week it will be done right. And I will be all right. I realize what it means to drive a 911. That is why I bought it.
My brothers have a Ferrari 430 Spider F1 and a Maserati GrandTurismo S. Both nice. Very, very nice. But I have the best car of all three brothers. And they know it. Even with a beige wing.

MBiondo

Quick Reply: 997 Bad Experience