Sponsored by:

Any experience with Door Shox?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:50 AM
akw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
.... I'm probably being ridonkulously **** again, but I shouldn't have to worry about it hurting my paint right?

At least on their site, they show Door Shox on two 997 :-)

Any first hand experience is welcome! Thanks!
WOW - all I could think when i clicked the link to doorshox was OMGWTF

I think you proved that you are ridonkulously **** by buying this invention in the first place.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 PM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If someone is determined to f**k with your car, nothing is going to stop them. Like other stated, be selective where you park, and maybe it is time to buy a house with garage so you can park your baby in it

John
Old 03-29-2011, 12:36 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Reco that you just talk to th garage mgr. can't you switch your spot to the end of an aisle? that way you can park right up against the end (against a wall with the passenger side). That gives the adjacent driver plenty of room to swing his door wide. or if that's not possible, try to get a space next to someone who as an expensive car so you know that they have something to lose by smashing doors.

I do this at the grocery. I park far from the entrance and at the end of an aisle and I park biased toward the non-car end of the space. Also I like to park next to expensive cars- those drivers rarely smash the doors open.

Also, avoid cars with children at all costs.. they swing the doors wide without thinking. They don't understand the implications.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Also, avoid cars with children at all costs.. they swing the doors wide without thinking. They don't understand the implications.
+1
Old 03-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Just park way in the back of a parking lot and take up two spaces. This may sound a bit unorthodox but I have come the to conclusion that I really don't care. I have a nice car. I don't think of drivers are particularily mean or vindictive...
Very, very bad idea. In general, drivers are not mean or vindictive. All it takes is one mean and/or vindictive driver, however, to see you taking up two spaces, and destroy your paint (along with your car's value) in 5 seconds with a sharp object.

Don't be that guy.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:14 PM
403portside
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 96 Posts

Folks,

I'm very strategic about parking when I leave the house.

It's inside the garage I'm trying to manage here. No chance of switching spots with anyone. I'm just trying to avoid the very small chance something will happen. Sure, it looks weird...but my 997 isn't entering any beauty pageants sitting there just parked.

Now again, tell me about the paint!
Old 03-29-2011, 01:17 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Canada we'd call that Douchebag parking. By all means park as far away as possible but taking up two spaces just screams my car is better than yours.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:54 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Folks,

It's inside the garage I'm trying to manage here. No chance of switching spots with anyone. I'm just trying to avoid the very small chance something will happen. Sure, it looks weird...but my 997 isn't entering any beauty pageants sitting there just parked.

I have a set that I use in my garage at home to revent my wife from accidentally hitting the car. Won't work on my TT though - aluminum doors.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Folks,

I can see where using these things in a limited way, for example in your parking garage (but not for god sakes in public!), might have some value. As long as the car is clean and you are careful not to slide them around they shouldn't hurt your paint. I'd consider keeping a spray bottle of Meguiars Qwik Detailer or similar in the frunk along with a clean microfiber towel to spray and wipe down the paint before applying the door protectors. That's what I use before I put on my magnetic autoX numbers at an event, even when it looks like the car is already clean.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:14 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I can see the use for at home in the garage. My garage is very tight. The kids and wife are respectful of the cars, but crap happens. I can see these as worth while at home.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:13 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Just make sure the area of your car is clean before applying the door protectors.

I use Doordefenders --- reviewed here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...rotectors.html --- and they are great for special situations just like the one you describe.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Skibum
Banned

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
In Canada we'd call that Douchebag parking. By all means park as far away as possible but taking up two spaces just screams my car is better than yours.
I disagree. Douchebag parking is when you take up 2 spots in a full lot of in front of the door. Parking at the far end of an empty lot diagonally I see as perfectly appropriate. I usually look for the spot that has 2 spaces then curbs.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skibum
I disagree. Douchebag parking is when you take up 2 spots in a full lot of in front of the door. Parking at the far end of an empty lot diagonally I see as perfectly appropriate. I usually look for the spot that has 2 spaces then curbs.
You don't get to disagree. The degenerate with the key (or other sharp object) in his hand makes the call. I guarantee he/she won't give you a pass due to the location of the two spots you chose to take.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Skibum
Banned

You must live in a very nasty city.
Around here I'd have to say that would be the exception rather than the norm. Not saying it couldn't happen... but.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I live in a city with a lot of extremely nice cars (and trucks). Using two spaces is douchebaggery.

Quick Reply: Any experience with Door Shox?