Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filling Up - Automatic Pump Shut-Off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 160 Posts
Question Filling Up - Automatic Pump Shut-Off?

Is there something in the design of the modern Porsche gas tank that makes automatic gas pumps shut off so easily?
Both my 997 and my wife's 987 will not tolerate a gas pump running full blast. The nozzle keeps shutting off, presumably because it senses splash-back, long before the tank ever reaches full.
This happens at most gas stations (but not all). Filling my MINI Cooper S at the same locations never presents any problems.
Anybody know why this is happening with the Porsches? Does anyone else have similar experiences?
It's not a huge deal, but it is semi-annoying when filling up.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Bullit
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just spoke with my service advisor about this exact issue. It is very common. They said it has to do with the vapor recovery system now used on the nozzles as mandated by the clean air act and the design of the Porsche fuel system. Wish I could offer a more mechanical explanation but they said if you use an old style nozzle that is not fitted with the vapor recovery mechanism (black, flexible part that completes a seal between the nozzle and gas tank when filling) you should be able to fill to full. Hope that helps. Not sure what we will do once all the pumps have been retrofitted....
Old 04-05-2011, 04:42 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just stick the tip in. This will prevent any future problems or unforeseen issues.

I always run into problems when the nozzle is in too far.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same experience filling up my '09 with over-priced gas that has only 91 octane, due to some California regulation.

However, I usually leave it a bit under filled as I remember some warning on the site about over-filling.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:54 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been recently discussed in the sister 997.2 GT3/GT3RS forum.

Apparantly, some Porsche dealers have a prototype adapter (looks like a simple plastic ring) that they can put on the fuel tank opening, and that would help prevent the problem. I am not sure if it is still in prototype status and how many dealers know about it, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to check with the service department of your dealers.

Another tip was to insert the gas pump nozzle 180-degree-up-side-down to fill up the tank, that would also help prevent the problem. It might look a little weird, but I have tried it and it worked.

At last, I have also found that it is gas pump nozzle type specified. I have found the nozzles in one of my local gas stations that worked flawlessly to top up my gas tank, so if possible I always went to that gas station to fill up.

Just want to share some tips.

With best regards,

Last edited by axhoaxho; 04-05-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Haven't had that issue so far...
Old 04-05-2011, 08:47 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting.
I always thought that this was something with the Carrera 4 design as I heard the gastank straddled the front differential, but based on this, it looks more common.
I typically click at about 12 gallons in the tank and have trouble getting more than 0.5 gallon on the autofill setting.

I will try the "upside down nozzle" approach.

Thanks for this.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Only had the "can't fill" problem a couple of times and I suspected finicky nozzles. In general, no issues.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:51 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
Just stick the tip in. This will prevent any future problems or unforeseen issues.

I always run into problems when the nozzle is in too far.
Yeah - that's what my first wife said. It didn't work.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:30 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default happening to my 2011 cayenne v6 at some stations in CA

This would periodically happen on my 2008 Cayman but turning the nozzle 90degrees would at least allow it to fill at the max flow rate. With my 2011 Cayenne, especially when the tank is really low, it will fill about three gallons than stop and won't start again no matter what angle I have the nozzle.

What I did notice is that I can hear air getting sucked in or out of the tank when I pull the nozzle out slightly. If I wait long enough it lets me fill at the max flow rate. However, I keep thinking the gas pump is going to think I'm done and make me insert my cc again. Sucks playing this game on days when it's raining sideways.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:34 AM
yossarian
Advanced

I have that adapter. Works well. I don't member the part but I can find out if anyone needs. It still does not fill to the top but within a gallon now. It basically cheats the vapor recovery.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

This is a topic on the 996 forum, often. Their problem is with a vent return becoming dislodged and then it doesn't vent correctly, resulting in the premature shut off.

I would pursue it with your service advisor. This is not acceptable.

It was definitely more prevalent with the 4s.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:08 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

When I got my TT (my first 4wd) I was told this was a problem due to the difference in the fuel tank as it is configured over the 4wd system. It is annoying sometimes but usually a little patience and turning the fill nozzle 90 degrees helps. But it is tempermental and I cannot explain why sometimes filling is very difficult with the flow shutting off constantly, and other times no problems at all.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:01 AM
RC993TT
Advanced

I have the adaptor which I got from my dealer. It solved the problem. It is a plastic ring that that fits over the fill tube. Works great, no problem. I don't have a part number, but the dealer said there was a bulletin about it.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:18 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RC993TT
I have the adaptor which I got from my dealer. It solved the problem. It is a plastic ring that that fits over the fill tube. Works great, no problem. I don't have a part number, but the dealer said there was a bulletin about it.
Does the Dealer charge for it? If so, how much does it cost?

I typically turn the nozzle 90 degrees and back off the flow a little as it gets closer to full, and it seems to work fine.

Quick Reply: Filling Up - Automatic Pump Shut-Off?