Sponsored by:

Today's Only Real Driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Today's Only Real Driver

This may sound pompous but are Porsche drivers today's only ones that keep their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel? Too many drivers today texting, emailing, playing a video game or dialing numbers while driving 40 and 50 mph. Great number of drivers, looking down then up, over and over is starting to scare me. Yea, that's a reason to floor my Porsche....to get away from them before they hit my precious jewel.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

please, i see 911 and panamera owners on the cell phone all the time in the city.

There are idiots and those that don't pay attention in every single make and model out there.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:54 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Idiots of all sorts out there. I just wish they would keep right except to pass on the highway.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Yea, your right but you have to admit, driving a 6 speed manual, not really conducive to doing those things while driving.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:40 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the driving laws, including obtaining a license, should be like more Germany.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah what is up with the idiots driving Mercedes, Panamaras and BMW's which we know have bluetooth and they have their cell phones stuck to their heads? Baseball bat upside the head! It should be a $1000 fine!
Old 04-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 160 Posts

I don't know much about Jersey (except what I see on HBO), but in CA distracted driving knows no particular make of car.
The CA Highway Patrol recently publicized a huge statewide crackdown on using cell phones, etc., and I still see lots of folks doing it...all the time.
Safest bet is to never assume that anyone is paying attention.
It is nice to have the ability to get the hell away from these folks when you need to, though.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

It's all Americans. Driving is more of a necessity than enjoyment, so they spend their time multitasking, doing everything but paying attention to their driving. Our drivers' education programs have been total failures, and it will only get worse and worse.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
please, i see 911 and panamera owners on the cell phone all the time in the city.
+1, me too. I see them on my daily commute. Idiot drivers are everywhere.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
Yea, your right but you have to admit, driving a 6 speed manual, not really conducive to doing those things while driving.
You don't think Porsche is the only make that offers manual transmissions, do you? Would owning a PDK or Tiptronic be more conducive to doing those things while driving?
Old 04-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 91469972
Yeah what is up with the idiots driving Mercedes, Panamaras and BMW's which we know have bluetooth and they have their cell phones stuck to their heads?
That's what I don't get either. I mean, really? They can't spend a couple of minutes setting up hands-free link?
Old 04-25-2011, 01:13 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The kids call it "Riding QWERTY"
Old 04-25-2011, 01:47 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Very pompous! It doesn't matter what sort or car, what make of car or how much money you have, it's your personality and lack of training that determines how much of an idiot you are behind the wheel.

I work for Schlumberger and we have a comprehensive drivering program. Driver training every three years and commentary drives once a year or whenever you change location. I've worked for them in the UK and Canada before coming to the USA. For example, we were always taught to wait 2 seconds before proceeding at lights. Understood why but it never applied until I moved to USA. I've lost count of the number of vehicles driving though red lights or making no attempt to stop on an amber. Don't get me started on those who think their time is more valuable than mine and proceed into a junction knowing full well they have no clear exit.

Driving standards are truly appalling here. I've never had to drive so defensively in my life before.

My pet peeve is indicators, hardly anyone uses them, those that do use them incorrectly (usually switching them on several junctions before they intend to turn) and those who do use them are ignored. I'm mainly talking about on the motorways. I never trust anyone indicating right to turn if I'm waiting to pull out of a side road. The worst part is you find yourself having to drive aggressively, you try indicating to show your intention on changing lane but it's ignored leaving you little choice other than to force your lane change into a less than desirable sized gap! Nobody seems willing to ease off the accelerator to make a gap.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
the driving laws, including obtaining a license, should be like more Germany.
I'd love to see that. You though the health-care reform revolt was big.

Imagine a drivers license costing $1000 to obtain.
Imagine getting fined for passing on the right or failing to signal.
Imagine getting fined for a rude gesture at another driver.
Imagine all of the bumpers of vehicles actually at the same height (I'm looking at you, raised 4x4s without doing all the mods right)
Imagine a relatively dense highway with relatively smooth pavement, with everyone driving around 80-90 MPH.

But then we would need decent road signs, no left hand exit/entry, actual on-ramps with accelleration lanes, and yearly, strict safety inspections on all cars.

So for now, I'll keep imagining I'm driving in Germany, but know, when I'm on the road (and I'll know pretty quick) that I'm driving in the US.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
Don't get me started on those who think their time is more valuable than mine and proceed into a junction knowing full well they have no clear exit.
Ah, one of my favorites. They get a nice ear full of horn from me as I pull up right next to their driver's door and then lean into it. I get a chuckle out of the drivers "what do you want me to do" look as they get annoyed. How about you don't drive into the intersection as the 2nd or 3rd car that cannot clear the intersection.

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
The worst part is you find yourself having to drive aggressively, you try indicating to show your intention on changing lane but it's ignored leaving you little choice other than to force your lane change into a less than desirable sized gap! Nobody seems willing to ease off the accelerator to make a gap.
The other variant is you look for a gap, signal, give it a sec for all to see and then the car in front or behind you then zips over on your signal, but without theirs and fills the gap. Nice. When I'm driving the VW I'm less concerned about it, since I just proceed to make the lane change anyway, much to the chagrin of the inconsiderate other driver who suddenly find me pulling out in front of them or right on their backsides.

Quick Reply: Today's Only Real Driver