Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugged tire - now patch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:02 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plugged tire - now patch?

So I picked up a nail a while ago. I didn't know until I noticed the handling felt funny, so I checked my tire pressures and found on tire at 15 psi !

So I popped it off and did the classic plug from the outside with tarred string. Not too hard of a job but I did manage to scratch my fender make sure you use a ratchet extension or a sock around the bottom of your wrench!

I'm wondering if the plug will do, or if I need to now take it in to get a patch from the inside of the tire.

Normally I have good confidence in the plugs, but the car will see some autocross and general hard driving.

Leave the plug or take it in for a professional patch?

(the nail was in the tread, near the inside edge on a rear tire, in the grooves of the tread)
Old 05-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it near time for new rubber??
Old 05-16-2011, 04:05 PM
cbzzoom

Nah, brand new tires sadly. I'm dying to try a new new size like 255/315 but I have to wait for this set to wear out...
Old 05-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Skibum
Banned

Waiting to hear what others think... but I don't think I would be comfortable with any sort of puncture repair on a high performance tire. Especially near the sidewall.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
So I picked up a nail a while ago. I didn't know until I noticed the handling felt funny, so I checked my tire pressures and found on tire at 15 psi !

So I popped it off and did the classic plug from the outside with tarred string. Not too hard of a job but I did manage to scratch my fender make sure you use a ratchet extension or a sock around the bottom of your wrench!

I'm wondering if the plug will do, or if I need to now take it in to get a patch from the inside of the tire.

Normally I have good confidence in the plugs, but the car will see some autocross and general hard driving.

Leave the plug or take it in for a professional patch?

(the nail was in the tread, near the inside edge on a rear tire, in the grooves of the tread)
Check the tire maker's web site to see what it has to say about plugging/patching its tires.

Some tire makers allow this (though I think a patch is preferred to a plug) and some don't.

For those that do the guideline are: 1) the hole has be in the tread section. Sidewall punctures, forget about it. 2) the hole can't be very big. 1/4" comes to mind. 3) the tire has to be in otherwise good condition. Not at the wear bars to be sure, but another issue is if the tire was driven underinflated for too long.

In the case of being driven too long underinflated the tire can shed some of its rubber inside its carcass/casing and the tire's ability to hold air can be compromised.

Generally, if the tire is dismounted and rubber dust comes out when the tire is removed from the wheel, the tire's toast.

Oh, if you replace one tire if the two tires differ by 15% in size (due to tread wear) Porsche requires the other tire be replaced as well.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:37 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Your z rated 155 plus tire just went down to 50mph. Chances are you may not have a problem in daily driving- but why take that chance? I would spring for a new tire right away.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:00 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If the tire has been plugged and patched with a mushroom plug, and not near the shoulder - I would drive as normal and just take a look at it once in awhile to make sure that there is no sign of corrosion of the steel tread due to water entry.

Usually with these, if you don't have a problem right away you won't.

Name:  fig_5.jpg
Views: 2341
Size:  18.9 KB
Old 05-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
If the tire has been plugged and patched with a mushroom plug, and not near the shoulder - I would drive as normal and just take a look at it once in awhile to make sure that there is no sign of corrosion of the steel tread due to water entry.

Usually with these, if you don't have a problem right away you won't.

I agree with this answer. This is the same answer I got from America's Tire co. when I asked them about what to do when a tire has been plugged. Bring it in (the sooner the better) to have it patched.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Skibum
Banned

The key there Damon is "near the shoulder".
I sure would not be comfortable using a tire plugged near the shoulder at track speeds.
(I'm not a race car driver, but I do play one in my sleep)
Old 05-16-2011, 07:36 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
If the tire has been plugged and patched with a mushroom plug, and not near the shoulder
Thanks Damon, unfortunately it is pretty close to the shoulder. Might have to just get a new tire
Old 05-16-2011, 10:06 PM
jakes dad
Racer

I've never had to replug a tire after a repair.. Not sure I'd want to drive 100mph on a plugged tire but I usually don't anyway. As long as it's in the tread and not too close to the sidewall I'd be confident driving on it... Plus I added a spare tire to my arsenal.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Is this a rear or front tire? You have to live with a front for a long time, usually replacing the rears as a ratio of at least 2:1, sometimes 3:1. The longer you have to live with it the more tempted I would be to patch as well. It's an individual thing. Only you know how you drive and whether how you drive could risk a mere plug. I have had very good luck with plugs, and generally endorse them. But you should ask a professional if you are unsure.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:08 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have it patched from the inside.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:44 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes dad
.. Not sure I'd want to drive 100mph on a plugged tire......
Me either, that's why I would only trust a repair done from the inside. If you look at the picture, the caps on the plugs have quite a bit of surface area. The faster you go, the tighter they are held in.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Skibum
Banned

No matter what method you choose, the tire has been compromised.
There is far more to the dynamic of a high speed tire than simply getting the plug or patch to stay in place.

Drive at 50mph, no trouble.. push the envelope, I would replace the rubber.

Quick Reply: Plugged tire - now patch?