Sponsored by:

997 Workshop manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 12:54 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

You can discuss anything here, as long as you don’t violate the rules and guidelines.

If it is copyrighted material, it’s fairly cut and dry; no distribution is allowed. Nothing to do with Porsche specifically.

The terms of service are clear.
https://rennlist.com/TOS.htm

4. Prohibited Conduct You agree that you will not use Rennlist's Service to transmit, disseminate or upload: (1) unlawful, harassing, libelous, tortious, abusive, threatening, or obscene communications of any kind, or materials which infringe or violate any third party's copyright, trademark, trade secret, privacy or other proprietary or property right, or that could constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any applicable law or regulation; or, that are otherwise objectionable, including without limitation, content that contains blatant bigotry, racism, or hatred, or that promotes illegal activities or physical harm against anyone;

Older / not updated workshop manuals (up to '08) exist in the net for free or with a small download fee.
All the manuals for some time now are implemented in the PIWIS in electronic form as mentioned earlier in this thread.
If you decide to buy from Porsche you won't receive the printed material.

Now if you want my opinion, I don’t like this money making policy, and over-protection from Porsche's side. I believe that the workshop manuals should be free and given to the owner at the time of purchase.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:39 PM
tcouture
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see why LEGAL manners to access Porsche's workshop documentation could not be discussed here. For example, TIS is off the Porsche NA webpage, so it is the exact same as discussing the latest p-car model.

Torrents, Fileshare, Warez and the likes are a different story... Personally, I would not work on my car using information coming from a non-reputable source when a legal copy is $2.

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
If you decide to buy from Porsche you won't receive the printed material.
TIS documents can legally be printed off, however, a watermark with your username will be imprinted on the pages to make sure you do not redistribute them.

Regards,

T.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:17 PM
BC-997
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tcouture
I don't see why LEGAL manners to access Porsche's workshop documentation could not be discussed here. For example, TIS is off the Porsche NA webpage, so it is the exact same as discussing the latest p-car model.

Torrents, Fileshare, Warez and the likes are a different story... Personally, I would not work on my car using information coming from a non-reputable source when a legal copy is $2.

TIS documents can legally be printed off, however, a watermark with your username will be imprinted on the pages to make sure you do not redistribute them.

Regards,

T.
That's what I'm saying. I get copyright issues - I work on copy right related issues all day - but to call discussing Porsche workshop manuals on a Porsche Discussion Forum taboo is not what Porsche intended. The Op could have simply been directed to the proper channel. Now I know I was considered to have violated the Rennlist rules previously when I posted an EVO article without EVO's express permission, but we're kind of taking the non-dessimination rule to the extreme. I realize that's just my opinion but the practice of law is all about interpretation, debate and a question of degree (in terms of intent or damage).

No harm was done in this thread and I know we need rules to keep some level of civility here but debate and sharing ideas and tips is what makes a discussion forum valuable. At least for me in terms of my experience on other forums.

Thanks for listening...
Old 05-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM me!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tcouture

Here the link:
https://techinfo2.porsche.com/PAGInf...?Type=GVOStart

It starts at $10 and that will allow you to get about 5-6 documents (prices vary per types of documents)...
Does anyone have info on what a 'document' is?

The website provides very little info. euro 1,50 is probably not for the whole repair doc. No defn on what packages A, B and C are.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:27 AM
tcouture
Instructor

From what I have seen, "documents" can be anywhere from 1-page to 12-pages. This is the drawback of this system, there is no way to know what you are getting before you get it...

Some folks on renntech have all-you-can-eat access to the whole thing so it is a good place to ask which doc ID you should get for a particular topic.

But I have to say, I did spend money on some crappy ones, but really got some really good ones I could never have completed the job without.

Hope this helps,

T.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:02 PM
krysFly
Instructor

Threads like this always make me smile, if you spend 5 minutes on
the Internet you can find pretty much find anything, free...
Old 05-29-2011, 02:24 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Does anyone have info on what a 'document' is?

The website provides very little info. euro 1,50 is probably not for the whole repair doc. No defn on what packages A, B and C are.
You can either use your money on a pay per view basis or get an annual unlimited subscription.

Without unlimited access, and before you buy one of the documents, you can hit the document status tab and get some info about the current one including the category, title, publication date, document type, and price.
Page numbers are not offered as some of them include resizable pictures and drawings. Besides these are not numbered scanned pages from a printed workshop manual.. they were designed to work mainly in a computer screen and just have an option for printing.

Quick Reply: 997 Workshop manual