Sponsored by:

AWD Drivers... Why? (Genuine Question)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default ran a 2007nC4S for 3 years and 55K miles

great car, stuck like glue in all weather with summer tires. got an alignment that eliminated most plowing and understeer tendancies. very secure ride.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:38 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. It can help cover up my stupidity and lack of talent if used properly.
2. Can't hurt in snow & ice.
3. It came with the Turbo
4. I don't race it, so the weight penalty is no biggie.

I've always enjoyed AWD vehicles, my wife has one (FX35) and they are nice to have, her car did great in our snow storm last year but my truck was like a wild bronco.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:58 AM
pdm12002
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks

I've been a sponge for the last year on rennlist. My first post. bought a 2006 997.1 C4S CPO. Sorry no pic. Black Cab with two tone black/gray dash Grey leather everywhere Else I'll get the profile setup properly soon. Live on an iPad so some challenges.

The car is so emotional. That's the way I describe it to everyone. This is comparing it to everything else. I live in SF and in the mountain roads around here I lose my nerve before the car. But, even taking the 380 interchange at 85mph, I can feel the front wheels kick in big time. The AWD can only make a great driver better. I'm not that guy but I'll track it soon and we will see. It's not just about whe it's raining. That being said, in the Bay Area, driving in the rain is really fun to see when the features we are paying for kick in.

P
Old 06-04-2011, 04:04 AM
pdm12002
3rd Gear

I would also like to pose another question. If AWD came for free, would you take it? I've gotten the impression over the last year that folks are really arguing money vs driver skills. I respect cab vs not from a track perspective. AWD vs not I do not buy.

P
Old 06-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

I think some of these complexities come into play when you are buying new and faced with choosing from the plethora of options. In my case I just found a great buy on a lightly used CS2 with some very nice options. I never got into an exhaustive search looking for a 4 or whatever. I drove it, dropped the Aston search and bought the C2S. As you say, these cars are emotional, regardless of 2 or 4. If safety is your main concern then, uhhhh... you may want to look at another car!
Old 06-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pdm12002
I would also like to pose another question. If AWD came for free, would you take it? I've gotten the impression over the last year that folks are really arguing money vs driver skills.
Hell no. AWD in a 911 is a downside, not a feature, and I would avoid it even if it cost less.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:44 PM
yossarian
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pincomar
I use my car every single day. Although I now live in Nashville (which gets some snow and ice, but not that much) I have previously lived in Toronto and NJ. You never know where work will take you and your car! I have snow tyres and with 4 wheel drive you are one of the best cars on the road. The only worry is your average SUV driver and deep snow. Both are a bit tricky!

Mark.
That's the part I never got. Thinking like the op, given salt, rocks and the simple fact of snow high it just does not seem practical to drive in times when awd would be useful.

I live in nor cal as well and have never had issues with my c2s. I just don't take it to tahoe.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:00 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by pdm12002
I would also like to pose another question. If AWD came for free, would you take it? I've gotten the impression over the last year that folks are really arguing money vs driver skills. I respect cab vs not from a track perspective. AWD vs not I do not buy.

P

I had a 996 C4. When the 997 was launched the chassis differences made a 997 C2 as stable as a 996 C4 was, and even more so the 997.2 (both with PASM), without the added weight penalty and front traction side effects.

The 996 AWD and the 997.1 AWD use a viscous coupler, which means that the front wheels are always under power (even if at a minimum of 5% split). When I drive one of those cars I know it is an AWD - the steering is different, the front traction is always there.

The 997.2 AWD couple to the front via an electrically controlled multi-plate clutch and the front axle can be fully decoupled. In that sense, the 997.2 AWD can feel (at times) like a RWD. The issue is that it is nonlinear, i.e., all of a sudden a lot of power can be coupled to the front, and then you feel it. And no, the 997.2 AWD does not understeer more - that is strictly an alignment issue. If anything it can understeer less.

But... to answer your question. On a 997.2 if AWD was a free option... I would not take it.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:53 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought a 4s but for me there were a few reasons, i drove a 2s and didnt notice that much of a difference but the 4s does feel more planted. I was so used to driving a touareg which is awd and an audi so i got used to being spoiled with the added traction and being saved a few times in the rain and snow.

I got my 4s for the same price as a 2s as it was used so i thought it was a plus if anything. I can see the difference in width but it depends at the angle that you look at it. Head on its hard to see but most other angles you can see the difference, at least in person.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by UNC Nick
Those of you driving AWD cars, why did you decide to go that route vs. a C2? Is it mainly a bad weather thing? Or, do you feel the AWD car just provides a more secure ride?

I'm currently searching out a 997 to replace my current 996 and 550i as a daily driver. I've found both C2S and C4S models that fit the bill of what I'm looking for, but honestly don't know if there is a real REASON for me to go AWD. We live in North Carolina and don't get a whole lot of snow at all. Winters over the last few years have been colder than normal so there is the occasional black ice in the am, but by no means are we in a frozen tundra. I'm sure that a C2 is perfectly capable as a DD all winter, but my real question is would an AWD car be better or seldom really used?

Thanks so much for the help!
996 Turbos only come with AWD. I can't think of any time I've ever used it, even though I drove through some snow (on new Bridgestone summer tires) last winter for around 50 miles.

Were I going to drive the car in snow/ice conditions on a regular basis it might come in handy but of course the car would need proper snow/ice tires.

However, I can tell you for a long time everybody got around with just 2 wheel drive (and rear wheel at that) by just fitting proper snow tires (and carrying chains just in case) on their cars.

Really I think the biggest contributor to good driving in bad weather is proper tires.

More than once in bad weather I've seen 4WD, AWD cars and trucks off the road (or worse) and it is not because they were not able to pull away from a stop sign but were unable to slow down or turn properly in marginal traction conditions.

In this respect, FWD, 4WD, AWD passenger vehicles are all the same. The all have just 4 tires in contact with the road and only two steer the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: AWD Drivers... Why? (Genuine Question)