Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying my first 911 - a little overwhelmed - help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 03:26 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,655 Likes on 1,680 Posts

Be that guy! and dont apologize for it.

Sounds like you work hard, take care of priorities, and can afford it. Life is meant to be enjoyed. Turn that 15mi comute into a blast everyday. I do.

Your posts seem like you are a little methodical and well prepared. I think you will thoroughly appreciate the 40 years of engineering, history and asthetics vs some of the newer owners that get one only for looks or status. (not RL's of course)

+1 on learning about the variety of 997's and all the options. Look, learn, and test drive - get exactly what you want. There are 100's of cars all over the country, dont settle.

Report back with pics of your aquisition!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:47 PM
eroy2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP I hear you 100%. I am doing the exact same thing right now too. Good luck with the search, I know its tough but you will find the one. And being surrounded by wealthy friends myself(without being one) I'm sure that your friends are the right kind and not just there to help you spend your money. Live the dream.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:15 PM
sizquik
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

****APPROVED**** Enjoy your car.
Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
I am 41 years old and have always been enamored with the 911...from the 70s Carrera that a neighbor owned, to a couple of '93s I was able to drive as a young dude, to the current 997s. To me, they are the best looking cars ever made - there aren't too many cars that look "classic" when brand spanking new.

Mechanically, they are even more impressive to me. A serious machine that is made to be driven...one that can be pushed harder than most and perform with grace and power. Yet, something that isn't absurd or impractical for my 15 miles daily commute. An added plus, but not a huge factor by any stretch is that as a not very large dude, married to a small woman with 2 small kids - everyone can ride.
I've never spent much money on vehicles...you know, being responsible, making sure the family is taken care of, that I've saved $ for retirement,set aside some $ for toys, etc. I make a very good living and want a vehicle that gives me great pleasure to drive. I've worked hard for it - I've definitely earned it. I have always enjoyed driving - I like a good road trip, and the 911 seems like a car that meets (and exceeds) all of my needs/wants.

To be honest with you, I struggled a bit with the idea of buying the 911. I consider myself quite fortunate and have definitely worked hard to get where I am, but I have a lot of friends that are not in a position to buy such a car (now or in the future), and in my firm there are a lot of employees that are not likely to be able to either. Lastly, there is a bit of a reputation that is assigned to a 911 driver. Whether that is born of envy or experience, it exists. Did I want to be "that guy"?

I finally decided that I don't care. It dawned on me that I have a lot of friends that are wealthier than I am, and I've never found myself envious of them or their lives (certain aspects, sure - but generally, no). My friends won't care or think any different of me, although I expect some requests to drive it when I buy it. And it shouldn't, and doesn't really matter about the other employees at my firm. I produce, it isn't a secret, and I'm sure there is some idea as to how much money I make, so it won't be a big deal.

I could expand on this with much more detail, but that is sort of it in a nutshell.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:27 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

OP, you'll have to deal with perception vs. reality but it's all worth it. Some will believe that you paid a $100K+ for a new p-car since the body style hasn't changed since '05... and can't image why anyone would do that vs. buying something more essential/practical/cheaper. Plus they may not even think to dare justifying this type of purchase with their wife/other half. The reality is that if you spend $50K-60K for a pre-owned p-car... that's the same price as a new Lexus GX470(for example) or a full sized loaded Ford F250 p/u truck. Now it's a matter of choice: your choice. I purchased my p-car 3+ months ago and went thru all these same considerations. Shared with my wife once I purchased my p-car that her new Lexus cost $1K more than my old Porsche. Of course, we just let the neighbors think what they will and continue enjoying thier new truck or sedan. It's great to live in the USA where "freedom of choice" affords us these simple and so good when they're true realities.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 06-27-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-27-2011, 05:32 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
I am in Monument
First off, good luck in your search, and it looks like you're prepared to search nationwide, which is good, because I think in Colorado (especially in that part of Colorado) available cars are going to be limited. It looks like you've done all your homework, and are going to be doing due diligence on whatever you buy, so I think at this point, just concentrate on staying on top of Porsche's web site, and your Colorado Porsche dealer web sites for inventory. Do it every day, because you never know when something will pop. Also, let your local dealers know to tell you when something comes in that matches your criteria.

Second...I'm jealous you're in Colorado I love Colorado, and lived there for a number of years. First was up in Littleton from 93-96. Then, I worked for HP on Garden of the Gods from 96-2000 and lived up in Florissant. Moved to CA, then went back to Colorado from 05-07 to work in real estate. Boy, was that a mistake...couldn't have picked a worse year than 2005 to get into real estate. I lived up in Divide at the time (can you tell I'm partial to Teller County?) I'm now back in CA in Silicon Valley.

I do miss it, though. The Colorado Springs area is a nice place to be. With summer here now, be sure and get out and enjoy. Hopefully, you'll find something in time to take advantage of the nice weather.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy!

Quick Reply: Buying my first 911 - a little overwhelmed - help?