Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying my first 911 - a little overwhelmed - help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Buying my first 911 - a little overwhelmed - help?

UPDATE*** I have an Offer in Principle on an '07 C4S, 15k miles, GT Metallic Silver on black, Sports Chrono, Adaptive Seats...beautiful 1 owner vehicle.
The car will be transported to a P dealer on Monday for an exhaustive PPI. Once I have results, I will come back here and post for input from this motley crew.

If all goes well,this time next week I will be picking up this car (~$60k) and enjoying a pleasant, yet fast, 700 mile drive home. Wish me luck!

New to this board and soon to be new to Porsche ownership. I have decided to buy an '06 - '08 C4S - with less than 30k miles.

I want a daily driver and I want that dd to be as fun as possible. I also anticipate some great drives through the mtns. of Colorado on a regular basis.

I have spent some time reading a gazillion posts here, and think I know enough to make an educated purchase - but feel like I know just enough to get myself in some trouble.

Here is my basic list - please let me know what I have overlooked...
  • Service Records
  • PPI - BTW, does anyone know someone in Colorado who can perform a PPI?
  • 4 Wheel Laser Alignment
  • Clutch slippage - top gear test?
  • DME scan & oil filter dissection
  • Operating hours

What else?

Also, I recognize great variance in features and price, but from online searches on Autotrader, Ebay, Cars.com among others, it appears that the predominate dealer asking price has been between $60k - $70k. My general plan, as it has been with most vehicles I have purchased will be to start at 15% less and see where it goes from there.
Private party prices are maybe a little lower, maybe 5%.

Lastly, I have given some consideration to enlisting an auto brokerage firm here in CO that has an outstanding reputation. Thoughts?

I appreciate your help. Wish me luck.

Last edited by Coloradoheel; 07-09-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:17 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
New to this board and soon to be new to Porsche ownership. I have decided to buy an '06 - '08 C4S - with less than 30k miles.

I want a daily driver and I want that dd to be as fun as possible. I also anticipate some great drives through the mtns. of Colorado on a regular basis.

I have spent some time reading a gazillion posts here, and think I know enough to make an educated purchase - but feel like I know just enough to get myself in some trouble.

• Service Records
  • Operating hours

What else?

Also, I recognize great variance in features and price, but from online searches on Autotrader, Ebay, Cars.com among others, it appears that the predominate dealer asking price has been between $60k - $70k. My general plan, as it has been with most vehicles I have purchased will be to start at 15% less and see where it goes from there.

Lastly, I have given some consideration to enlisting an auto brokerage firm here in CO that has an outstanding reputation. Thoughts?

Looks like you got it covered. Me, I would skip the brokerage guy and put that money towards a CPO car instead. Between all the pre-purchase due diligence you're planning on and the extended factory warranty I'm not sure what the brokerage guy would add except another invoice.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

More detail. WHY do you want a 911? Is it something that you think you want? What has led you to this conclusion?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:50 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel

• Service Records
  • Operating hours

What else?

I think you're spot on, but there are some extras that I find increase the enjoyment of my car.
Namely, try to find one with PSE and a short shift kit. Of course, these things can be added later, but they really increase the connection with the car, IMHO.

best of luck getting what you want--you won't be sorry!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:19 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

That price range of 60-70 seems very high, especially for an 06. The 06, 07, and 08 are basically the same car. So for similar mileage vehicles, you will get a much better price for an 06 and you won't be able to tell the difference from an 08.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:54 AM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

I am 41 years old and have always been enamored with the 911...from the 70s Carrera that a neighbor owned, to a couple of '93s I was able to drive as a young dude, to the current 997s. To me, they are the best looking cars ever made - there aren't too many cars that look "classic" when brand spanking new.

Mechanically, they are even more impressive to me. A serious machine that is made to be driven...one that can be pushed harder than most and perform with grace and power. Yet, something that isn't absurd or impractical for my 15 miles daily commute. An added plus, but not a huge factor by any stretch is that as a not very large dude, married to a small woman with 2 small kids - everyone can ride.
I've never spent much money on vehicles...you know, being responsible, making sure the family is taken care of, that I've saved $ for retirement,set aside some $ for toys, etc. I make a very good living and want a vehicle that gives me great pleasure to drive. I've worked hard for it - I've definitely earned it. I have always enjoyed driving - I like a good road trip, and the 911 seems like a car that meets (and exceeds) all of my needs/wants.

To be honest with you, I struggled a bit with the idea of buying the 911. I consider myself quite fortunate and have definitely worked hard to get where I am, but I have a lot of friends that are not in a position to buy such a car (now or in the future), and in my firm there are a lot of employees that are not likely to be able to either. Lastly, there is a bit of a reputation that is assigned to a 911 driver. Whether that is born of envy or experience, it exists. Did I want to be "that guy"?

I finally decided that I don't care. It dawned on me that I have a lot of friends that are wealthier than I am, and I've never found myself envious of them or their lives (certain aspects, sure - but generally, no). My friends won't care or think any different of me, although I expect some requests to drive it when I buy it. And it shouldn't, and doesn't really matter about the other employees at my firm. I produce, it isn't a secret, and I'm sure there is some idea as to how much money I make, so it won't be a big deal.

I could expand on this with much more detail, but that is sort of it in a nutshell.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
More detail. WHY do you want a 911? Is it something that you think you want? What has led you to this conclusion?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docfink
I think you're spot on, but there are some extras that I find increase the enjoyment of my car.
Namely, try to find one with PSE and a short shift kit. Of course, these things can be added later, but they really increase the connection with the car, IMHO.

best of luck getting what you want--you won't be sorry!
I agree with regard to the PSE - haven't really given any consideration to the short shift. With purchasing a used 911, I have realized that I will have to compromise in some areas. As you mention, these are available as add-ons, so I would prefer to compromise on something that can be added later.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:01 AM
krysFly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You write beautiful posts.
Just kidding
Buy the first car you see, that's what I did
Old 06-27-2011, 01:05 AM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JW911
That price range of 60-70 seems very high, especially for an 06. The 06, 07, and 08 are basically the same car. So for similar mileage vehicles, you will get a much better price for an 06 and you won't be able to tell the difference from an 08.
I have driven an 06 and an 08, I couldn't tell the difference, so you're spot on there. I should have clarified my pricing comment. While the pricing for some 06 falls below $60k list, and some of the 07/08 are north of $70k, there are a good number of all 3 vailable in the $60k-$70k range. I also view that listed price as more of a starting point than destination.

I just did a search (nationwide) on cars.com for a 2006 C4S with less than 30k miles. It brought back 7 ranging from $57k - $70k (5 coupe, 2 cab)

The same search for 08 brought back 25 ranging from $65k - $82k, 8 of which were in the $665k-$70k range.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:08 AM
Dr. Strange
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree 60-70 for an 06 C4S is high...there is one in my area that fits your bill right now and the asking is 55K. It's not CPO though. Sounds like you have done your homework...helped me actually...I am in the market for the same thing...just with out the 4. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:16 AM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dr. Strange
I agree 60-70 for an 06 C4S is high...there is one in my area that fits your bill right now and the asking is 55K. It's not CPO though. Sounds like you have done your homework...helped me actually...I am in the market for the same thing...just with out the 4. Good luck.
I think I saw that same car yesterday on Autotrader. Sent a note but haven't heard back. With a house at 7000' and some snow between October and April, I think the 4 with a second set of tires is a must.

Good luck with your search.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:48 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Prices has gone up since last year, it's not as cheap as it used to be, so your $60-70K range is actually about right. Avoid 2005 models, two blown engines in the last week (6speedonline), IMS issues are also more prevalent. Stevinson Imports can do your PPI and DME. I assume you are in the Denver Metro area. Get it, who cares what others think, it's your life, life is short, enjoy every moment of it. If it doesn't affect you financial, I don't see a problem. I too love to drive the Colorado mountains, we are bless with such great roads surrounding us. I don't post here as much but here are some of my pictures from my drives.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-pictures.html

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...hotoshoot.html

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-way-home.html
Old 06-27-2011, 04:25 AM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ynot
Prices has gone up since last year, it's not as cheap as it used to be, so your $60-70K range is actually about right. Avoid 2005 models, two blown engines in the last week (6speedonline), IMS issues are also more prevalent. Stevinson Imports can do your PPI and DME. I assume you are in the Denver Metro area. Get it, who cares what others think, it's your life, life is short, enjoy every moment of it. If it doesn't affect you financial, I don't see a problem. I too love to drive the Colorado mountains, we are bless with such great roads surrounding us. I don't post here as much but here are some of my pictures from my drives.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-pictures.html

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...hotoshoot.html

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-way-home.html
Thanks - awesome ride BTW - just beautiful. I am in Monument but ca easily make my way to Stevinson. Thanks for the response - hope to see you on the road soon.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:55 AM
jason74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I recently went through much of the same questions you are asking. I ended up with a 07 C2 w 22k miles, cpo for $51k. It is my daily driver, I am 6 weeks and 4,000 miles into it. I love every second of it. My 2 year old loves riding in it. Wife less so (but she is happy that I enjoy it so much). I'll be doing my first track day in a few weeks. I have gone through the looks and comments about driving a Porsche from the other people in the parking lot. It ends pretty quickly. Nobody seem's to care much anymore. There are actually several 911's in my lot, so it kind of blends in in the summer. I make a point to tell them I bought it used, my depreciation will be less than their new Bimmer's etc. I'm getting 24 mpg's. I'll be buying some winter tires. Go for it and enjoy.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:54 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

You are thinking about all the right things and those are all important. Personally I also think color and options are quite important as there is wide variety. You can't go wrong with silver or black but personally I tend to like the grays, blues and the green. You have a lot of high class choices to make....enjoy!

Quick Reply: Buying my first 911 - a little overwhelmed - help?