Sponsored by:

Need a car that can replace a 997

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 02:39 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dansen
I do believe character can tell by the car you drive or the way you dress. Scion is for student and Subaru is for young street racer. Porsche is the best sports and Merc is the best luxury car. Driving a cheap car to a business meeting will also give you a negative. We get to dress casual on Friday so I drive Merc on Mon to Thur and Pors on Fr to Sun. That is my character and don’t want to cover it up.
Just buy a used 4 doors Merc for business and keep the 997 for the weekend.
So where does BMW fit in?
Maybe in second place in both categories, I guess?
I'd put Merc and Lexus as a tie though in luxury car category...
Old 07-04-2011, 02:43 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the business associate judging you by your car is a class act!

I personally went through something similar over the past few years.... I was part of a team that sold a tech company to a midwestern Fortune 100. I tend to dress flashy for work (high-end designers) and heard numerous comments (over alcohol) from higher-ups that I was "dressing past my rank"...

Another story involves my dad. He was a sales guy in the defense industry before retiring in the mid-90s, and was making money hand over fist during the Reagan years. He drove a Dodge Caravan on his sales calls, and wore "Sears Best" suits. His mindset was that his customers, who made billion dollar decisions using pentagon funding, made little money personally - and that he needed to tone it down to establish a trusting relationship.

You just have to read your industry, and figure out the right way to maximize your position.... In your situation, I'd recommend buying a four door car that you customers would drive - and keep the 911 at home for personal use...

My $0.02,
-B
Old 07-04-2011, 03:01 PM
sizquik
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not say Audi is a downgrade at all. I'm not sure what biz you're in but in Los Angeles, these cars are a dime a dozen, not sure why you're getting negative comments. That said, if you have to take clients out, the 997 isn't the best choice for some due to the poor ride quality in comparison to a luxury sedan.

Check out the new Audi A7 and A6... they are really nice.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:02 PM
DHC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

You completely lost me with the last sentence. A 997 is too flashy so you're wondering about a Maserati or Bentley?

I think your judemental acquitances need to go pound sand.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:18 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

It's unfortunate, but reality, that some people (business people at that) judge others by the cars they drive. If you are concerned about 'business image' get a standard business sedan Audi/MB/BMW/Lexus (and not the sporty versions either, liker Audi S-series, AMG, M-series) in silver/gray/black and you are set.

And...make sure that's what your partners drive or expect you to drive. If not, get a Ford or a Buick.

And... keep your 911 for your private life.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:38 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Sound advice...
Old 07-04-2011, 03:39 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Merc C63 sedan or the new C63 coupe.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:52 PM
TheBlackMamba
Advanced

Lexus IS F. I had a 2008, and I loved it. A real sleeper. You should definitely check them out.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
Sounds like the business associate judging you by your car is a class act!

I personally went through something similar over the past few years.... I was part of a team that sold a tech company to a midwestern Fortune 100. I tend to dress flashy for work (high-end designers) and heard numerous comments (over alcohol) from higher-ups that I was "dressing past my rank"...

Another story involves my dad. He was a sales guy in the defense industry before retiring in the mid-90s, and was making money hand over fist during the Reagan years. He drove a Dodge Caravan on his sales calls, and wore "Sears Best" suits. His mindset was that his customers, who made billion dollar decisions using pentagon funding, made little money personally - and that he needed to tone it down to establish a trusting relationship.

You just have to read your industry, and figure out the right way to maximize your position.... In your situation, I'd recommend buying a four door car that you customers would drive - and keep the 911 at home for personal use...

My $0.02,
-B
+1
I subscribe to this line of thinking as well. I have various levels of dress attire for business and will dress up or down depending on whom I'm meeting with. Same for my cars. I have the 997, but have other cars in the family line up that I will use depending on the business need.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:03 PM
dansen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Drive whatever car pleases you or meets your needs and find a polite way to tell your business associates to go frack themselves.
Life is not that simple. You don’t have to care what your coworkers say but going out with a client is a different story. The first impression is very important because sometime there is no 2nd chance. Some of us have to separate business and pleasure.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:20 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

keep the 997 and get a used 08/09 M3 Sedan... sporty but still looks like a nice sedan especially for those who are not in the know. Going badgeless would also help with perception while still providing for a performant ride.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:20 PM
zanwar
Pro

That's a tough set of requirements. A four/five seat sporty car that's more prestigious than an Audi, more unique than a BMW and not a Jag? Seems like an older Maserati is the way to go. Or perhaps a Tesla Model S, if you can wait a couple of years.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:22 PM
greenshoe
Intermediate

I remember a review on Top Gear where they called the Audi "the businessman's car". It's sporty but decidedly understated in its styling (the sedans that is).

If you're that concerned about how you're perceived with the car you drive, I'd get a USED Audi. A brand new one would scream "I'm just out of law school / business school and just got a promotion!" A used A4 or A6 that is in good condition will suggest "I've been around for a while, I'm successful but not flashy about it."

And keep the 997.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
Keep the Porsche. Get a second car.

Get a 2 yr old used Subaru Legacy GT (especially Spec. B.), 2008 or 2009, for 20-25K
It's a dynamite 4-seater, and is a GREAT driver's car, and totally under the radar...
That's my combo... (note: it's the previous generation Legacy, not the current generation, which started in 2010)

Buying a large Mercedes or Aston will not accomplish your goal....

Btw, in L.A. especially, a successful businessman driving a 2-seater Porsche as his ONLY car-- as a single man would likely do-- probably means strangers might think "gay" as often as they would think "playboy".... that's just the way it is.
My wife has one. A 2 year old Subaru Legacy Spec B estate, that is, not a gay man. The absolute pinnacle of stealth, especially in black. I'm forever badgering her to lend me it for my commute. And we can pack in the kids and half a ton of luggage and rip across Scotland in all weathers. Love that car. Half tempted to buy her a neat little hatchback so I can get my hands on it more often.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dansen
Life is not that simple. You don’t have to care what your coworkers say but going out with a client is a different story. The first impression is very important because sometime there is no 2nd chance. Some of us have to separate business and pleasure.
My comments came on a bit strong. No offense. As an engineer my work spoke for itself and the only negative comments I ever heard from people about the cars I drove came from people who were expressing their jealousy, not the appropriateness of my vehicles for a specific business setting. I understand why appearances are very important for some businesses, but I've never liked that aspect. I guess that's one reason why I chose a different career path. Now that I'm retired, I don't have to care one way or another.

Quick Reply: Need a car that can replace a 997