Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 S with high mileage...price check?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:05 PM
cmd4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 S with high mileage...price check?

Found a 06 with 85k on it for 33k in conn.(i'm in NC)I know i should move quick,but am a little nervous with the mileage and since i'd be buying site unseen.How many of you are close to this in mileage or even more and what should i look for and ask about.Price to me seems good and if i can get it for close to 30 i would think it would be a good buy....thoughts and opinions.Thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 57k mi on my C4S cabrio.
Aside from some interior scratches, the car feels new.

At that price, I'd be more worried about this being an accident rebuild.
Do your Carfax and *insist* on a PPI at a reputable dealer and tell them to check for bodywork/frame damage.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:45 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Watch out for Import Unlimited in Conn. They specialize in salvaged cars.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:19 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

do it!

my first 911 (1980 SC) logged 187,000 miles when it leaft my hands - no leaks, ran strong, no worries
Old 07-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by cmd4
Found a 06 with 85k on it for 33k in conn.(i'm in NC)I know i should move quick,but am a little nervous with the mileage and since i'd be buying site unseen.How many of you are close to this in mileage or even more and what should i look for and ask about.Price to me seems good and if i can get it for close to 30 i would think it would be a good buy....thoughts and opinions.Thanks
If you know you should move quick you know wrong.

Sorry but while the mileage is not scary that you are buying the car sight unseen and without even a PPI is scary to me at least.

I'm not up on 06 (and nearby years) of 911 values but you need to do some market research to get a feel for market price. If the car is priced reasonably close to market price that is one thing. If it is priced under... that's a red flag.

However, even a piece of flooded junk might still have a market (or even slightly above market) price assigned to it and the seller makes a big deal out of dropping the price and the buyer drives away thinking he made a killer deal.

Be careful. Do your homework. Enlist somebody in that area to at least view the car and take pics. Have them give the car a sniff test for signs of flood damage. Get a CarFax report (though this is not infallible) and learn where the car spent some time and with the VIN call dealers in those areas to see if you can learn what servicing/repairs the car had.

Remember, there is always another car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 PM
krysFly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Milage is not the problem, it's rather an indication that it was driven all year long, meaning during winter (salt)
I looked at couple of examples of cars like that, mechanically they were sound, but the corrosion was horrific.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:43 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 76k miles on my 2007 997 C2S and still drive it often, but not daily any more. The mileage doesn't worry me at all. I have had dealer offers from $35k-$40k for the car (and turned them down) recently, so the price of $33k for an '06 with higher miles seems in the ballpark. It also matches up well with what I recall from the recent Excellence Mag which has a price guide for 996/7.

I would consider flying my mechanic there to look at it with me (and drive back if he was willing). I know that is expensive but so is the kind of problem you could be buying without a good PPI from someone you trust or know.

I am not concerned about salt corrosion since there is virtually none on my car and I'm not exactly OCD about cleaning it off in winter. However expect a lot of rock chips, perhaps windshield, and of course check for accident and major repair history in addition to a thorough assessment of current condition (PPI). These cars can take a lot more than most of us are willing to give them, so provided it hasn't been really abused it could be a great driver at low cost. Just do the diligence.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:29 PM
cmd4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i say buying site unseen,i mean a deposit over the phone to secure the car,a ppi and if eveything else checks out a trip up there to pay the balance.....and then the much anticipated drive homeI did some homework today on it and it has had some work done on it.Not nessacarily a deal breaker,if they're willing to negotiate quite a bit.either way i'm still continuing my daily search/obsession for the right 997 or 993
Old 07-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

When i say buying site unseen,i mean a deposit over the phone to secure the car,a ppi and if eveything else checks out a trip up there to pay the balance.....and then the much anticipated drive homeI did some homework today on it and it has had some work done on it.Not nessacarily a deal breaker,if they're willing to negotiate quite a bit.either way i'm still continuing my daily search/obsession for the right 997 or 993
Ok, I'm relieved to read it is not sight unseen.

What work? Why?

Anyhow, enjoy your search for a Porsche. Next to owning/driving one shopping/buying one is the next best thing!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have it in writing, that you'll get your deposit back if you don't like the car when you see it regardless of the PPI results. Sometimes pictures don't show the damage. The front of the 911 is low, it could be cracked, front bumper might have tons of paint chips. Might be a lot of big scratches that isn't pleasing to the eyes. That is the risk of high mileage cars but you at least have the option to not take it w/o losing your deposit. Searching and obsessing is the next best thing to owning one. Good luck in your search.

Quick Reply: 06 S with high mileage...price check?