Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wall Street Journal

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:56 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Non-Porsche people and some Porsche people always believe newer is better, just the way many are wired

The bigger car is NOT supposed to have significantly larger rear seats. Porsche is getting a little too Green as well. Think that's a Yurripeeon thing. KERS is one of those things that sounds great on paper, wonder why it's not used more commercially, seems like a total winner for mass-transit for example.

own a 997, think the 993 was near-perfect in form. the 991 is going to be BIG, which along with the Turbo intakes for all cars (if it carries over) is a loser no matter what... IMNSHO
Old 07-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

WTF............How the hell could you leave the 993 out of that article !!!!!!
The whole point of the friggen article was the great 993 vs 996 debate air vs water, old vs new

Sombody screwed the pooch without lube on THAT one !
Old 07-24-2011, 12:05 PM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ish993
WTF............How the hell could you leave the 993 out of that article !!!!!!
The whole point of the friggen article was the great 993 vs 996 debate air vs water, old vs new

Sombody screwed the pooch without lube on THAT one !
The point of the article was to provide an extremely positive review the GTS and in doing so the author noted that while the forthcoming 991 will be a great car, it may be that newer does not necessarily mean better.

The discussion of the older Porsches was simply in a sidebar in the print version. The text version in this thread distorts the presentation of that part of the article. The sidebar was not presented nor meant to be a comprehensive history of all things Porsche...
Old 07-24-2011, 01:37 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

nice article!
Old 07-24-2011, 03:25 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

I've e-mailed Dan Neil about 2 mistakes he made in other articles. One, he emailed me back and the other he didn't.

Seems like "improved" usually means "bigger" and I don't like it!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Below is a brief list of other Porsche 911 sacrileges. It should be noted that all of these changes ultimately made the car better.
As others have already pointed out, the 993 does NOT fit into that context. The author was emphasizing what Porsche supposedly got it "wrong" throughout the 911 iterations. Dan Neil didn't forget or miss the 993.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:28 AM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by swajames
The point of the article was to provide an extremely positive review the GTS and in doing so the author noted that while the forthcoming 991 will be a great car, it may be that newer does not necessarily mean better.

The discussion of the older Porsches was simply in a sidebar in the print version. The text version in this thread distorts the presentation of that part of the article. The sidebar was not presented nor meant to be a comprehensive history of all things Porsche...
Ahhh, that is the only version of the article I was able to read.

My point was that the best example of porsche fans dismissing the new model for the older model was the 996 water cooled vs. the 993 air cooled
Old 07-25-2011, 09:38 AM
peterm
Racer

It very easy to criticize someone who tries to convey information to the masses on something that you specifically look at with a microscope. A broad range journalist needs some journalistic freedom and that comes with room for error. I suspect when you have a cough you'd expect your GP to do the brochoscopy? Appreciate the article for what it is- criticize it if it was in panorama
Old 07-25-2011, 10:15 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 353 Likes on 209 Posts

For a newspaper article it was very, very good IMO. You want to read a screwed up assessment of a Porsche? Try the Washington Post or NY Times. The former even had the stupidity to call the Porsche an 8 cylinder car (and Warren Brown bragged he had gone a "hundred miles per hour" in a Turbo at Watkins Glen). Mr. Neil, at least, clearly understands what Porsche is about and the editors at the WSJ donated a full page to the article.

And ironically one of the main thrusts of the article coincided with Chris Harris's opinion piece in Excellence this month. How far should Porsche go technically with the 911 and still provide a "driver's car" yet compete with the likes of McLaren or Ferrari. He wisely noted Porsche's ability to do both- a four wheel drive Turbo that an uninvolved (read not so good) driver can easily drive fast (similarly noted by Mr. Neil) v. a GT2/3/RS/4.0 etc. (or in Mr. Neil's case- an earlier model) that calls for much more involvement and a higher level of skill.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:49 AM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Donate? He gets a full page every Saturday. The WSJ pays Dan Neil very well to review cars for the Saturday paper. He left the LA Times for his current gig. Good move.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:54 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hpowders
Donate? He gets a full page every Saturday. The WSJ pays Dan Neil very well to review cars for the Saturday paper. He left the LA Times for his current gig. Good move.
what gig the "Car show"? What a POS show. I've lost all respect for him. He should have gone to Top Gear.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:33 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

One of the better articles around 911 from a non-car magazine/newspaper.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:52 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kosmo
what gig the "Car show"? What a POS show. I've lost all respect for him. He should have gone to Top Gear.
No. I'm talking about his move from the LA Times to the Wall Street Journal.

The problem with his reviews at the Journal is he mostly does cars in the $200k range. If I'm not going to buy it, I'm not going to read the review.

When he worked for the LA Times, he reviewed more down to earth vehicles like the BMW 135i, etc;
Old 09-02-2011, 05:17 AM
hamburg113
1st Gear

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Mercedes benz interview questions

Best regards.

Last edited by hamburg113; 09-15-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:28 AM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by hpowders
No. I'm talking about his move from the LA Times to the Wall Street Journal.

The problem with his reviews at the Journal is he mostly does cars in the $200k range. If I'm not going to buy it, I'm not going to read the review.

When he worked for the LA Times, he reviewed more down to earth vehicles like the BMW 135i, etc;
Missed this comment first time around, but Dan Neil's WSJ reviews do in fact cover the entire spectrum and most of his reviews are of relatively down to earth hardware. I get the paper every day, and read his column every week - he's not just looking at 200K cars, and these really make up the minority of the WSJ reviews. What I like about Dan Neil is that in addition to being a car guy like the rest of us, he is an excellent writer - much like Chris Harris in this regard, and better than most other auto journalists out there.

Quick Reply: Wall Street Journal