Sponsored by:

10% 6-spd build on GTS's ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:11 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 10% 6-spd build on GTS's ?

Wondering if what I have heard is correct, that the PDK is 90% of the buildout on the GTS ?
I would think that will make the 6-spd more sought after due to its small availablility later on.

jason
Old 07-27-2011, 01:18 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

i would probably buy PDK if i was after GTS. 10% is probably fair size of 6spd segment considering PDK is way better for performance.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:24 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On paper its better by .4 sec, true, but it seems like the 6-spd is going to be harder to find in newer cars. Kinda losing that part of the sports car experience it seems.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:27 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter82
On paper its better by .4 sec, true, but it seems like the 6-spd is going to be harder to find in newer cars. Kinda losing that part of the sports car experience it seems.
I agree. And then the wife could drive it, and I don't want that to happen.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:32 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately I think the 6MT is a rarity on all 911's now.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:42 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the percentage for all 997?
Old 07-27-2011, 01:46 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

6 speed on my 2012 GTS. The other one at my dealer was a 2011 PDK. They have had the PDK car since March.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:48 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

6-speed will be rarer and potentially more valuable in the future in used market.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:09 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexb76
6-speed will be rarer and potentially more valuable in the future in used market.
I don't mean to be argumentative but I disagree. It's only more valuable to those that want it. There's a reason more of the cars sold are fitted with a PDK. First, it's a trend in the marketplace as more and more people don't want to row their own and second, in order to meet fuel economy requirements, etc. the PDK gives the manufacturer more control over shift points, etc. to meet them. Many have said that the PDK upshifts too quickly for their liking. That's because the lower engine speed at higher vehicle traveling speeds contribute to lower fuel consumption. This means that the manufacturer has a greater probability of meeting CAFE requirements.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy21
I don't mean to be argumentative but I disagree. It's only more valuable to those that want it. ...
That's the irony of rarity, when the rare product is one of two options and the other option has the larger market.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:25 PM
GHills
Instructor

Thinking about these cars as any sort of collector's item is delusional.

I heard there werent that many tiptronic 996's......must be some sort of a price premium!
Old 07-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter82
Wondering if what I have heard is correct, that the PDK is 90% of the buildout on the GTS ?
I would think that will make the 6-spd more sought after due to its small availablility later on.
Originally Posted by alexb76
I would not be surprised to hear only 10% are manual. PDK is the best of both worlds to many, and this is a GT car; I'd bet the Spyder and Cayman R have a larger percentage of manuals.

Regardless, even with smaller production numbers, I doubt the manual transmission cars will ever be more valuable. Unless the PDK is later discovered to be flawed, there is no reason to think used buyers would be more interested in a manual than new buyers; demand shouldn't shift, so with given supply, prices shouldn't shift, either.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy21
I don't mean to be argumentative but I disagree. It's only more valuable to those that want it. There's a reason more of the cars sold are fitted with a PDK. First, it's a trend in the marketplace as more and more people don't want to row their own and second, in order to meet fuel economy requirements, etc. the PDK gives the manufacturer more control over shift points, etc. to meet them. Many have said that the PDK upshifts too quickly for their liking. That's because the lower engine speed at higher vehicle traveling speeds contribute to lower fuel consumption. This means that the manufacturer has a greater probability of meeting CAFE requirements.
Yes. And if someone thinks PDK shifts too soon there are two excellent and very simple solutions: press the "Sport" button or shift it manually, as I do 90% of the time.

Originally Posted by ADias
That's the irony of rarity, when the rare product is one of two options and the other option has the larger market.
So true.

Originally Posted by GHills
I heard there werent that many tiptronic 996's......must be some sort of a price premium!

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Regardless, even with smaller production numbers, I doubt the manual transmission cars will ever be more valuable. Unless the PDK is later discovered to be flawed, there is no reason to think used buyers would be more interested in a manual than new buyers; demand shouldn't shift, so with given supply, prices shouldn't shift, either.
Agree.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i would probably buy PDK if i was after GTS. 10% is probably fair size of 6spd segment considering PDK is way better for performance.
Let's be realistic, most people don't buy PDK b/c of it's performance, they buy it b/c they can't drive manual. Among the group of people I know only 10% can drive manuals, sounds about right.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I would guess that more than 10% of GTS buyers have the ability to drive a manual. I think the shift (no pun intended) away from manuals is equal parts because the GTS is more of a GT car (some manual buyers may have opted for a similarly priced GT3), and because dual-clutch manuals have become accepted as an automatic transmission in sports cars.

Quick Reply: 10% 6-spd build on GTS's ?