Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK vs Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We aren't nitpicking at all. We are all having a bit of fun.
I guess you need to be old enough to own 997 to understand.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
Don't you 997 guys have something better to argue about? This thread solidify the stereotypical mid life crisis/ "I am always right" attitude of Porsche drivers. You guys must be compensating for something.....After reading half a page of this thread, you guys should probably realize that you can't convince the otherside. Is like freaking teaparty here. Stop nitpicking and playing with numbers. There are always faster, fancier, cheaper, more exciting cars out there, so who cares, just drive and enjoy.
While I disagree with the general intent of your comment (I mean, why go to a thread or forum and complain that you don't like what they're posting about?; nobody's forcing you to read the posts) I still enjoyed it. Honestly.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

"Even more reason that PDK offers higher performance - minimal chance of driver error in executing a perfect shift each time. What % of the time is the typical manual driver capable of performing a perfect heel-toe rev-matched shift?"

As to the GTS being .3 seconds quicker than the C2S...

Yes, .3 seconds is .3seconds. It's not a significant difference. One gains the added quickness through slightly faster shifts and the other through more power.

The difference of .3 seconds can be lost easily to driver error in the 0to60 sprint and more so around a track.

No question PDK is going to give you that perfect shift every time. Again that's my point. It "gives" it to you. The art of driving is one step further removed and the challenge of mastering the art of a MT and becoming one with the machine lost.When the human portion of higher performance is removed from or reduced in the equation and replaced with a computer it takes us away from the basic premise of sports car driving. MHO.

I am glad Porsche did away with the crank starter though.

Last edited by Waxer; 08-07-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:07 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
We aren't nitpicking at all. We are all having a bit of fun.
I guess you need to be old enough to own 997 to understand.
And you probably have to have enough money to seriously consider keeping two mistres... uh, sports cars to get some of these jokes.

Gary
Old 08-07-2011, 12:41 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

2020 992 Porsche 911 released - Porsche Describes New Features
May 21st, 2019. Zuffenhausen, Germany : For immediate Release

Cars equipped with PDK transmission and Sport Chrono Pack can download the cybernetic ghost of Walter Rohl to drive the car for you. Simply sit back and hold the f*ck on.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Zactly.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by winkingchef
2020 992 Porsche 911 released - Porsche Describes New Features
May 21st, 2019. Zuffenhausen, Germany : For immediate Release

Cars equipped with PDK transmission and Sport Chrono Pack can download the cybernetic ghost of Walter Rohl to drive the car for you. Simply sit back and hold the f*ck on.

Sounds like a very cool option. Ride with Walter, learn, then go try it for yourself! I'd pay BIG for a wide with Rohrl. Too bad the new download won't be available for the MT guys!

Unless you really do mean Walter Rohl. Don't know who the hell he is!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:23 AM
tbrom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

i want everyone to remember -that is if they read the OP first post - but this thread was never intended to be the MT vs. PDK thread it has dwindled down to. If we were actually sticking to the OPs reason for posting it would be the guys with PDK chiming in for what it is that makes the PDK special to them. What makes the PDK involving for the driver - why a person wouldn't just leave it in "D" and ride around like a poeser!

This thread has become exactly what the OP didn't want it to turn into - a discussion that has been worn out and that has no resolution. The MT will always be the tranny of choice to many for all the reasons noted here - the PDK on the other hand has it's own appeal and it not to have Walter Rohls ghost drive the car for you - actually that is a pretty silly argument but valid somehow to the poster. BTW Walter has a PDK Turbo. Now before I get flamed for mentioning that because we all know why he has one! So please do not expound on that. I will mention one thing - I would love to take a ride with Walter Rohl and I don't think there is a guy or gal here on the Renn that wouldn't and be just dumbfounded watching the master at work. Just like we do when listening to a piece of music or looking at a painting we admire.

The whole idea of this thread was to expound on the experiences of driving by those that have PDK - not those that have a MT! It has been hi jacked into that discussion and probably the reason why we haven't heard from 991 for a long time! So isn't there someone that would like to come back to the original idea behind this post. I was actually looking forward to hearing about why PDK owners like their trannies and why they still feel very involved as drivers using PDK.

Is it asking too much? We all know that a discussion about why one vs the other is pointless - no one talks anyone into something they just don't feel is right for them but those of us on the fence about this new technology were really hoping to read something new and interesting. How bout that - how bout you PDK owners telling us what's so damn good about the PDK. Why a PDK offers plenty of driver involvement and some of the experiences you've had that might demonstrate that! Something we don't know. A new perspective by an owner with lots of new experiences with a new transmission.

If you want to start another thread to carry on this "debate" fine - make one - but I think it would be nice if we could actually get to the real purpose of this thread unless no one really wants to talk about that. Maybe you PDKers don't have much to say? But I'm betting you do and I for one am all ears! I bet 991 would like to hear more on the fun aspect than this "derivitive debate".

Sorry but I just had to add this as another perspective.....
Old 08-08-2011, 03:39 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by tbrom
The whole idea of this thread was to expound on the experiences of driving by those that have PDK - not those that have a MT! It has been hi jacked into that discussion and probably the reason why we haven't heard from 991 for a long time! So isn't there someone that would like to come back to the original idea behind this post.
I said this in post 16 (so long ago......) but to repeat, my PDK Carrera S is fun!! I love and feel involved driving it as much as I loved driving 45 years worth of MT's. (BTW, if there's someone out there with 45 years experience driving PDK who now owns an MT maybe they can offer an interesting counterpoint ) I still have all the control over gear selection that I want; more than a MT in some ways. Auto is seldom used but there if required. I've been hooked on cars ever since I sat on my Dad's lap and steered his '55 Chevy BelAire V8. I work on my own whenever possible and none of the Porsches I've ever had (or hardly any other car for that matter) has so much as pulled into the driveway of a car wash. I do all my own detailing. I absolutely love driving and everything about automobiles.

Do you think I'd own a Porsche that wasn't fun and involving to drive? Hell no! BTW, did I mention that PDK is fun, and does this answer your question?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:07 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
I think PDK on the track is cheating.... There, I said it...

Everyone has anti-lock brakes, electornic nannies, and now automated rev-match shifting. What next? Programs to drive-by-GPS the ulimtate lap based on my Traqmate compilation of Rennlists fastest laps ? Just sayin...

-B
BMW has already done it for you.

Maybe the "PDKites" would like Porsche to offer this option on the 991!

J/K. Settle down!

Phil

Old 08-08-2011, 02:20 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Guys,

i want everyone to remember -that is if they read the OP first post - but this thread was never intended to be the MT vs. PDK thread it has dwindled down to. If we were actually sticking to the OPs reason for posting it would be the guys with PDK chiming in for what it is that makes the PDK special to them. What makes the PDK involving for the driver - why a person wouldn't just leave it in "D" and ride around like a poeser!

This thread has become exactly what the OP didn't want it to turn into - a discussion that has been worn out and that has no resolution.
True! One must wonder why 'manualites' have the urge to post on a thread they were not asked to participate... It's either that they are not sure of themselves and need to tell the world their choice is the manly one... or, they are envy and having second thoughts, but peer-pressure among their manualites' peers constrains them to change.

Re the OP's quest: Mike's, Mdrums', mine and other's positions on PDK's characteristics and (yes) driving fun are all over this forum.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:08 PM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I said this in post 16 (so long ago......) but to repeat, my PDK Carrera S is fun!! I love and feel involved driving it as much as I loved driving 45 years worth of MT's. (BTW, if there's someone out there with 45 years experience driving PDK who now owns an MT maybe they can offer an interesting counterpoint ) I still have all the control over gear selection that I want; more than a MT in some ways. Auto is seldom used but there if required. I've been hooked on cars ever since I sat on my Dad's lap and steered his '55 Chevy BelAire V8. I work on my own whenever possible and none of the Porsches I've ever had (or hardly any other car for that matter) has so much as pulled into the driveway of a car wash. I do all my own detailing. I absolutely love driving and everything about automobiles.

Do you think I'd own a Porsche that wasn't fun and involving to drive? Hell no! BTW, did I mention that PDK is fun, and does this answer your question?
Mike your first post was a great post to 991's question. You have more than done your fair share to answer but I was hoping that some of the other PDK guys would chime in. I've already saved your first long answer which by the way is a great read! I thank you for your posts!

I'd just like to hear more from other PDK owners even if they aren't 911 owners - Cayman or Boxster PDKers should be welcome to post as well. There's a guy with a red Cayman that has done a lot of track time in his PDK - I'm reading other kinds of posts on the PDK as well. There's a post on someone that is having his tranny replaced due to some insumountable problem - but the dealers are not allowed or most likely able to work on the PDK right now - they are being replaced if there is a serious problem. I'm eating all this up.

I don't mean to admonish anyone in particular - it just seems like the MT guys can't stand it and are doing their best to render this to an argument - most unpleasant. That's all I'm really trying to say.

Thanks again for your very good posts but you have to admit you may be fueling the fires of the "debate" just a bit..... Anyway - I hope I'm not being an ***. Just sayin...
Old 08-08-2011, 03:17 PM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by ADias
True! One must wonder why 'manualites' have the urge to post on a thread they were not asked to participate... It's either that they are not sure of themselves and need to tell the world their choice is the manly one... or, they are envy and having second thoughts, but peer-pressure among their manualites' peers constrains them to change.

Re the OP's quest: Mike's, Mdrums', mine and other's positions on PDK's characteristics and (yes) driving fun are all over this forum.
Adias,

Sounds like you really love PDK. You and Mike both live out there in CA - a wonderful state to drive in - canyon carving etc. Tell me any of the experiences you've had that really demonstrate some of the fun aspects of PDK. I don't mean to beat a dead horse but guys like you and Mike have had a lot of seat time with PDK - that in itself speaks volumes. So you must both be continually thrilled with the tranny.

How long have you owned your PDK and how many manuals have you owned and what was it that made you consider the PDK in the first place and then what was it that made you pull the trigger if there was that "ah ha" moment. Just curious? I'm seriously considering it myself - mainly because of the wifey - but I did this before with a BMW 530i and got steptronic which I assume is more like the old Tiptronic of the 911. I remember when I took it out for a romp and explored a little more of the handling characteristics and the clutch smelled like it was struggling a bit from the heat. So I'm assuming that PDK is nothing like that.

Thanks guys,

Tim
Old 08-08-2011, 03:42 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Adias,

Sounds like you really love PDK. You and Mike both live out there in CA - a wonderful state to drive in - canyon carving etc. Tell me any of the experiences you've had that really demonstrate some of the fun aspects of PDK. I don't mean to beat a dead horse but guys like you and Mike have had a lot of seat time with PDK - that in itself speaks volumes. So you must both be continually thrilled with the tranny.

How long have you owned your PDK and how many manuals have you owned and what was it that made you consider the PDK in the first place and then what was it that made you pull the trigger if there was that "ah ha" moment. Just curious? I'm seriously considering it myself - mainly because of the wifey - but I did this before with a BMW 530i and got steptronic which I assume is more like the old Tiptronic of the 911. I remember when I took it out for a romp and explored a little more of the handling characteristics and the clutch smelled like it was struggling a bit from the heat. So I'm assuming that PDK is nothing like that.

Thanks guys,

Tim
I'll contact you via PM later today. It's not worth my time to deal with the nonsense controversy PDK/manualite on a public forum.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ADias
I'll contact you via PM later today. It's not worth my time to deal with the nonsense controversy PDK/manualite on a public forum.
Same here, tbrom. I've covered much of this already and the poor horse is definitely showing signs of abuse in this thread so I'll try to be more specific in a PM.

Quick Reply: PDK vs Manual?