Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with 60,000 km service to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 08:44 AM
mduke
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with 60,000 km service to do?

My 2006 Carrera has a major (60,000 km) inspection coming up.
The dealer mentioned that all fluids, filters and plugs need to be changed (+) for a cost of $800. No problem

He also suggested a brake flush ($190) and an injector cleaning ($290).

The car runs well - are these extras necessary or do I throw a can of injector fluid in the tank and call it a day?

Would like to do proper service but not add extras unless needed....any advice?

Thanks.....Mike up in Canada
Old 08-02-2011, 08:03 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake fluid every two years.
Injector fluid is likely BS unless you've been running some pretty bad gasoline - most have additives that will keep your injectors fine.
I think plugs are a 100k miles replacement but check your manual on that. I could be wrong (again).

Definitely oil, oil filter, air intake filter and maybe cabin air filter at this mileage (er kilometerage?) - which isn't very high IMO. Inspect the belt and coolant reservoir as those are known wear items.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mduke
My 2006 Carrera has a major (60,000 km) inspection coming up.
The dealer mentioned that all fluids, filters and plugs need to be changed (+) for a cost of $800. No problem

He also suggested a brake flush ($190) and an injector cleaning ($290).

The car runs well - are these extras necessary or do I throw a can of injector fluid in the tank and call it a day?

Would like to do proper service but not add extras unless needed....any advice?

Thanks.....Mike up in Canada
If you are using a name brand premium grade of gasoline and buying from a busy station (to get the freshest gasoline) there's no need to flush the injectors. They get flushed everytime they are opened to inject a bit of fuel into the combustion chamber.

If you *feel* a fuel system/engine deposit cleaning is required what you can try is running a bottle of Techron through the gas tank, following the instructions on the bottle.

Do this just before you have the car in for an oil/filter service. That is run the with the tank with the last bottle of Techron in it run the gas tank down to 1/4 or lower -- but not too low -- and then you can fill up the tank and then have the oil/filter service done.

Unlikely you'll notice the difference after using the Techron but that Techron is pretty amazing stuff and if there's any cleaning needed it will do it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah the reality is no one does a proper fuel injector flush which is to attach a solvent can to the schraeder valve on the fuel rail and run the car on the solvent exclusively.

Nowadays with techron, redline SI2 and seafoam and BG, you dont need the dealer to do this. You just pour a bottle of cleaner into your tank. I usually pour a bottle once a year.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:48 AM
mduke
Track Day

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Much appreciated. Will do the tune-up, brake flush, skip the injectors. Saving some dollars will go towards Tubi......Regards, Mike
Old 08-03-2011, 12:48 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just did the 60k as well. But that is 60k miles not kilometers.

Spark plugs were due at 60k and I also did cabin filter. However, i didn't need an oil change yet and didn't have to do any of the other things you mentioned.

-T
Old 08-03-2011, 03:06 AM
PaulLA
Track Day

That is a good deal on the service for $800! I was quoted $700 just for plugs at the stealership! Plugs are recommended 4 years and brake fluid is recommended every 2 years. I have a 2006 C4S - changed the engine oil and filter, added the LN magnetic drain plug, flushed out the brake fluid for the first time :0 and changed the plugs last month. I had the help of a friend who is a honda tech and with a hydraulic lift made it easier to do the plugs (the shield and the connectors were a pain - couldn't imagine doing that on your back).

Injector service is a sell up for them. An alternative and cheaper method is using Redline Fuel System Cleaner (this worked really well - noticed a huge difference while towing with my 98 4Runner through the Mohave Desert). The chevron techron injector cleaner is good too - can get a pack from costco for a good deal too.

At this higher mileage - also consider the cabin filter and the air filter. These parts you can pickup and do it yourself.

Quick Reply: Newbie with 60,000 km service to do?