Sponsored by:

Killing PS2 tires - quickly!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:08 PM
mike2010
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Killing PS2 tires - quickly!

Hi - on my 07' C2S, I'm going through PS2 tires very fast. I'm wearing the outside edges off them, (the outside inch or two of tread and the outside edges) on track days. All four are wearing like this. I have tried varying pressures up and down, thinking that the tires are 'rolling' under heavy cornering, but it doesn't seem to help. (I have tried between 33 and 38 hot all round).

It's getting a bit excessive, less that 4k miles and two track days for every $2k!! I'm only doing 7k miles a year and 5-6 track days - mostly at T'hill, where I get more wear on the right side as it's a left handed track.

Before the last couple of set of PS2's I had RE050's which wore evenly under similar use, but I know I was going a lot slower and the PS2's grip better.

I had the car aligned a couple of times in the last few months by local dealers to try and make sure there's no issues there. I wondered whether more camber would help but was told it would increase tire wear???!!!. The car drives really well and I have no complaints about grip.

Is this typical experience as you get faster on the track?
Is it that I'm being too much of a hooligan and need to work on my driving style?
Is it that I simply need to move up to a set of track wheels and tires as I'm really pushing street tires too far?
Is it that PS2's are just too soft for aggressive driving?

Any thoughts appreciated....thanks!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

I consider this typical wear of tires on a Carrera. If you are complaining about paying $2000 a pop for new tires from a couple of track days perhaps tracking your Porsche is not something that you can afford to be doing. Tracking a Porsche is not inexpensive. I stopped doing it many years ago--I simply couldn't afford the tires, brakes, clutches, etc. that I was going through. Perhaps you can find cheaper tires for your fun days.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

You need more camber.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:15 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

My PS2's wear *ok* on track... no excessive wear, I just wear the inside of the rear tires a lot more due to the alignment and that's normal.

If you're wearing your outside wall, you're rolling too much, which either means your tire pressure is too low, or you're transitoning is too aggressive.

If you're very serious about track days, I suggest either get a dedicated track tire (like Toyo R888), or, to go with "Extreme Performance Tires", such as Yokohoma AD08, Bridgestone RE-11, etc... those have stiffer sidewalls, and are meant for DRY track days, you can then use PS2 for wet track days.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:26 PM
tbrom
Racer

Buy a cheaper tire like a Khumo and have a second set as a dedicated track tire. You can also look at the toe in settings that really wears the tire too. Are you drifting??? J/k...

You can use less sticky tires, set the toe in at about 0 - use a little more camber and make things last longer at the expense of the best handling characteristics the car has to offer - hey it would still be fun - well I think it would be but everyone has their own way of going at something.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:09 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

also consider going to 18in
Old 08-15-2011, 03:20 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

OP - I've had exactly the same issue. I went through all 4 original PS2's on my GTS in 2700 miles - 5 track days, 3 AX events. I corded all 4 tires on the outside edge.

Since then I maxed out neg camber on my car, which worked out to about -1 degrees in front, -2 degrees in back. I also switched to the new Super Sport Michelins. I now have 3 more track and 3 AX days on the car, for a total of 4500 miles on the new tires. Just this weekend I discovered one rear tire was corded on the inside and replaced both rear tires. Other posters have suggested I may have a toe-out problem, which I'm having checked tomorrow. My other 3 tires were fine.

Yes, more negative camber will wear out tires faster IF you only drive on the street. If you track the car, you'll wear out tires so fast that the street wear is less of an issue than track wear. Once I get my issue resolved I think I'll be better off with the additional negative camber.

YMMV!

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 08-15-2011, 03:49 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
OP - I've had exactly the same issue. I went through all 4 original PS2's on my GTS in 2700 miles - 5 track days, 3 AX events. I corded all 4 tires on the outside edge.

Since then I maxed out neg camber on my car, which worked out to about -1 degrees in front, -2 degrees in back. I also switched to the new Super Sport Michelins. I now have 3 more track and 3 AX days on the car, for a total of 4500 miles on the new tires. Just this weekend I discovered one rear tire was corded on the inside and replaced both rear tires. Other posters have suggested I may have a toe-out problem, which I'm having checked tomorrow. My other 3 tires were fine.

Yes, more negative camber will wear out tires faster IF you only drive on the street. If you track the car, you'll wear out tires so fast that the street wear is less of an issue than track wear. Once I get my issue resolved I think I'll be better off with the additional negative camber.

YMMV!

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
I really think you and OP need to swtich to another tire for track and keep PS2/PSS for wet days only.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:56 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 387 Likes on 268 Posts

The OP states he's wearing the outer edges, NOT the insides... So it's not too much camber. Too much toe perhaps?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:13 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mike2010
Hi - on my 07' C2S, I'm going through PS2 tires very fast.[...]
Is this typical experience as you get faster on the track?
Is it that I'm being too much of a hooligan and need to work on my driving style?
Is it that I simply need to move up to a set of track wheels and tires as I'm really pushing street tires too far?
Is it that PS2's are just too soft for aggressive driving?
No.
Probably.
No.
No.

YMMV.

G
Old 08-15-2011, 05:00 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm burning through a set of cup tires every 400 track miles in my '07. If you install GT3 lower control arms and run more negative camber all round it will help a little. Best thing you can do is buy a set of dedicated track wheels and run a symmetrical R compound tire such as the Toyo R888. When the outside edge of the tire is beginning to look worn, you flip them on the rims to get some more life out of the tire. Also investigate storing your extra set of wheels at the track, it will save you a lot of headaches.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:11 PM
mike2010
Cruisin'

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll get the camber done and see if that helps a bit - as was mentioned, my street wear is negligible but would be great if I could slow down the track wear a bit. Looking into a a set of wheels & tires for the track is probably my best solution...and as suggested 18's would be a bit more affordable and have a larger range of tires to choose from.

Anyone know of a company that makes 18's in the right offset and affordable for the track?
Old 08-20-2011, 07:20 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

18 in used wheels in correct sizes are often for sale on this site. Check the classifieds, or become a member to see the member-to-member classifieds.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:21 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

go on ebay and buy a set of wheels and tires
Old 08-20-2011, 11:00 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
I'm burning through a set of cup tires every 400 track miles in my '07. If you install GT3 lower control arms and run more negative camber all round it will help a little. Best thing you can do is buy a set of dedicated track wheels and run a symmetrical R compound tire such as the Toyo R888. When the outside edge of the tire is beginning to look worn, you flip them on the rims to get some more life out of the tire. Also investigate storing your extra set of wheels at the track, it will save you a lot of headaches.
+1 this is your answer and what I do.

Quick Reply: Killing PS2 tires - quickly!