997.1S reliability after 70k miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 997.1S reliability after 70k miles

Hi gang,

My '05 is going to be out of extended warranty this coming March and I am considering if I want to hold onto it for much longer. I currently have 61k miles on it and put on about 18k/year so by then it will be around 70k.

So far, no engine problems and I get oil changes every 5k miles.

I probably won't keep it after 100k but I am wondering how reliable I can expect it to be between the 70k to 100k period.

Thanks,
-T
Old 09-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenta
Hi gang,

My '05 is going to be out of extended warranty this coming March and I am considering if I want to hold onto it for much longer. I currently have 61k miles on it and put on about 18k/year so by then it will be around 70k.

I probably won't keep it after 100k but I am wondering how reliable I can expect it to be between the 70k to 100k period.

Thanks,
-T
There is no such thing as a sure thing but since the car's been good up 'til now chances are I believe quite high that it will remain good for another 30K miles and probably many more miles beyond 30K miles.

Even if a problem develops it isn't the end of the world. A wheel bearing or even an AOS between now and 100K... not a real biggie. Water pump or fuel pump. Ditto.

Just don't ignore a drop in coolant level or signs of an AOS going out and so on.

In short just keep doing what you've been doing and chances are very good the car will be fine.

Oh, before the car goes off of warranty have it checked over very carefully for any leaks. This requires the car be put in the air and some of the underneath body panels removed to check the radiator lines, power steering lines, brake and fuel lines and of course all those lines as the run from the front of the car to the rear and the engine area. Be sure to check the CV boots for cracks. Check the transmission over for signs of fluid leaking from not only the big shafts and such but from around a shifter selector shaft and so on. (Many scoff at early servicing but I took my Turbo in for an 'early' transmission fluid change and the tech spotted an oil leak from around the selector shaft. Car was under CPO warranty and Porsche replaced the transmission. And the new transmission came with fresh fluid.)

Do not wait until the last minute to have the car checked out either. If something is found amiss and covered by CPO warranty the minute the CPO warranty expires any warranty on the work that was done expires too.

So consider having the car checked out now and then later closer towards the warranty expiration date.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:10 PM
tpenta
Racer

Great. Thanks. Will do a full check 3 months before expiration.

-T
Old 09-21-2011, 03:58 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenta
Hi gang,

Thanks,
-T
if you have money to buy new GTS and trade in this car - do it.

if you want to keep the car and it is off warranty - in some moment of time you will need to get it into shop, replace IMS with LN Eng. retrofit, replace AOS, replace serpentine belt, replace water pump (if needed - but most likely - needed), replace RMS.

IMS is the worst item of them all, and for most stuff on the list tranny should be down - usually happens at clutch job. at 60K miles your clutch is probably also due, you kinda want clutch to be replaced before it took too much meat from your flywheel or you will need new flywheel as well. Also, if never changed before - you need new spark plugs and new coils.
It is what major maintenance job sounds like. It may run up to $6k-8K somewhat if done all together. Kinda a lot but it is still cheaper than a new car or new engine/tranny for old car.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:47 PM
tbrom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely be checking the things mentioned by Utkinpol, but I'd be checking them to see if they are leaking so you can have the work done under warranty. When I read up on the LN engineering bearing/seal replacement there was something about doing that on a "regular maintenance" type schedule as in every 50k miles.

I'd like to think that keeping a car like a 2005 was a good idea cause they aren't cheap to maintain but cheaper than buying a new one. Although after you check out your car and have some things done if needed you may choose to sell and buy a later model anyway. I'm waiting to be able to afford a 997.2 myself. Worth the wait I think. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:37 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine (07 997 C2S) got to 76k miles before I sold it last month. No problems related to mileage, but there was some of the "normal" difficulty getting into first gear occasionally and I felt the synchro on 2nd starting to wear. But I did have at least 10 track weekends in this car, too.

If well maintained I wouldn't worry.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forsee an '05 997.1 is going to depreciate much less from here on than eg a BMW or Merc sedan of the same age (or even a 996, as the 997 has more "classic" styling inside and out). So while there are bound to be things that will go wrong with it upwards of 70K, the resale value of the car will remain high enough to merit doing most repairs. Probably the only thing it wouldn't worth is replacing the engine. Most things that could go wrong with it could be handled by a partial rebuild, but the one that can't (unless you're really lucky and catch it early) is the IMS failure. Most '05s have the smaller double-race bearing which can be replaced without removing the engine. @ your mileage, if the clutch feels heavy, it might be worth the peace of mind to get it done and get the LN bearing at the same time. The labor is the same, it's only the $600 or so for the part.

My '05 has 35K on it (21K when I bought it), and I only put about 6K/yr. But my clutch was very stiff (former owner probably abused it) so I did the replacement and LN bearing earlier this year. I also have a bumper-to-bumper warranty with 5.5 years remaining. I consider my car for the long haul, there really isn't anything it lacks that would prompt me to get a newer one. Unlike many other brands, there's no stigma to driving an older Porsche (unless it looks like crap), in fact I can forsee calling mine "vintage" when I finally do sell it.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:47 PM
tpenta
Racer

Thanks guys. All good feedback. I forgot to mention things I have already done on the car:

1. Transmission was replaced under warranty this summer. There was internal failure.
2. Clutch has been changes earlier this year.
(i know what you are thinking: guy can't drive... but I'm not to blame on this one)
3. Spark plugs changed as part of 60k check-up

As for the IMS, I was told by my local shop that at the next oil change, they will be including a new plug that is magnetic and actually collects any shredded metal pieces in the oil. So that when they change it again, if they find any shreddings then it points to an issue. Not sure if anyone has heard of that before.

I have thought of the GTS but also of just going to a regular 997.2S. But the thought that goes through my mind is that then you are talking about just a small jump to just going with a 991. I will wait to see how the 991 looks and does and decide. Another part of me wants to wait for the next Cayman.

Decisions decisions....

Thanks again,

-T
Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

i do not think you will be happy with cayman after 911 car.
considerinng list of work you`ve done only mistake was not to put in LN Eng. IMS retrofit when transmission was off car, as well as AOS should be replaced when transmission goes off as it is a cheap part and very easy to deal with when gearbox is down.

after those criticl parts are renewed engine should be quite OK and if gearbox is new and engine is fine i see very little reason to worry about another car. well, unless you just want to upgrade but it got nothing to do with current car`s condition.

IMS bearing in '05 cars should be replaced every 50K miles or as soon as you see those magnetic metal particles. open up your oil filter at next oil change and you will see. also, change oil twice a season at least, oil is cheap, new engine is expensive.

Quick Reply: 997.1S reliability after 70k miles