Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any evidence that overrevs matter at all?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:15 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I bet you were well above 8,200 RPM. The gauge is not as fast as the actual occurance, it lags behind.

FYI.
Very interesting chart...

Thanks for posting.

I was not aware that the 997 GT3 had a 9,000 RPM redline. Is this true?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:26 PM
mdeleeuw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It matters.

All good points above. Considering the piston/connecting rod and main bearings only, the peak acceleration of the piston varies with the *square* of the engine speed. So a 20% over-rev means 150% of the loading to the con-rods, pins, and main bearings.

Do you think that Porsche engineers left 50% of the strength in those components as a safety factor?

I for one would not consider an engine with significant over-revs, and understand why Porsche use it as a warranty gate.

Mike
Old 10-10-2011, 07:29 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
True, dat.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:31 PM
DGrayling
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In the April 2012 edition of Excellence, it states: "A general health plan prescription for the IMS bearing in your 997 might look like the following: ... ... ... ...
6. With the engine at full operating temperature, drive with the engine rpm up; if possible in terms of legality and road safety, accelerate to or near engine redline once or more per driving cycle."

My question is would this be beneficial for the 9A1 DFI engines also?
Old 02-02-2012, 02:06 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

Don't know, but that is a regular occurrence in my case.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:03 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm not sure if the piston/rod/bearing strength is the #1 issue with over-revs although it's a still a big deal. I think if you get into the over-rev range the valves are going to probably float a bit and the pistons are going to kiss off on them. That'll bend the valve and trash the valve train and the con-rod and lower end isn't going to like that either.

In most of the over-revved engines(in general) i've seen the valve train gets the worst of it. Anyway, that's the root of the failure but it sets off a chain of events that can take out almost anything.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:29 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Very interesting chart...

Thanks for posting.

It's not true.

https://rennlist.com/forums/8801553-post60.html
Old 02-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

There's not any real proof this is beneficial to the older engines that it prolongs IMS bearing life.

A balance is really best. While one wouldn't/shouldn't drive the car around with rpms in the basement like he's driving some kind of farm tractor neither should one drive around with the rev limiter banging off the stop all the time.

My cars see high rpms -- near redline sometimes (not often cause there's nothing to be gained even redline). Not for engine health but for my health, mental health. These cars a blast to drive and sometimes when it is ok at high speeds, an even bigger blast.

If I lived/drove in an area where higher speeds were legal I'd run the car up to whatever the limit was.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Joe6pack
Instructor

Lurking over from the 911 board and thought I’d add a point. Not the same I know, but when Ford designed the 289 K-code engine which was an upgrade from the 289 A code engine, one of the things they did was go to screw in valve studs as opposed to press in. They also used heavier valve springs to eliminate the aforementioned valve float. The connecting rods and hardware were upgraded and were identical to the rods used on later boss 302’s of Trans Am fame. They also used thicker main bearing caps and high nodular iron for the crankshaft. To my knowledge, the bearings themselves were the same. The horsepower was boosted to 271 at 6,000 rpms from 225 by solid lifters, carburetion, dual point distributor and exhaust. There was no redline as it were, but the rally pacs in those cars went to 8,000 rpms as opposed the 6,000 rpms for the regular 289 equipped cars. The point is that if you want to rev higher, things have to be made beefier. I doubt the redline is there for looks.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:11 PM
sameerg
Intermediate

Ok, so pardon my ignorance,
I have never gone near 6k rpm in my car. Does that mean, that my DME report will show 0 overrevs for all ranges?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:36 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sameerg
I have never gone near 6k rpm in my car. Does that mean, that my DME report will show 0 overrevs for all ranges?
If you have been the only driver (no service techs) and have never bumped the rev limiter and have never grossly missed a shift then I say it's pretty safe to assume 0 overrevs.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:07 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
I blew my old 997.1 C2S's engine at Sebring. Nothing past Range 4 (I think it is around 8,200 RPMs), but apparently that was enough to blow it up... It was due to mis-shifting, I am not denying it. I didn't think at the moment it was enough to bend and then brake a connecting rod and cause it to shoot through the case.

The rev limiter is there to protect the engine and the components, as mentioned above more rev means more force and along with it more wear and tear.
I have heard the same thing re the connecting rods. While certainly the valves can be damaged via mechanical over-rev, there is some concern on the part of Porsche that the rods might be a 'weak link' of sorts (factoring in track use, not normal street use). There is a guy with RTR that has done some testing or consultation work with PCNA on that issue. Dont know more than that...
Old 02-02-2012, 10:15 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

OK this is too easy. You have never gone near 6K?? Come on??
Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by alexstjo
This might be a stupid question but can you over rev a PDK?
Originally Posted by SharpMan
It won't let you.

I'm not in the market. Was just wondering if there was any actual evidence to suggest it matters.
PDK won't let you downshift if that action will cause a mechanical over rev.

However, you can hit the rev limiter while accelerating and in doing so you will, in my opinion, get some over revs in ranges 1 & 2, just as you would with a manual transmission.

I don't have a PDK car but would really like to see a DME readout of a PDK car that has bounced off the rev limiter a few times. My contention is that there WILL be over revs in the lower range(s).

To me it is not logical to admit that a manual tranny car can and will have over revs if you hit the rev limiter while accelerating but then turn around a say it is impossible for a PDK car to have over revs from bouncing off the rev limiter while accelerating. I am not talking about a mechanical over rev (a.k.a. "missed shift").
Old 02-03-2012, 12:09 AM
J. Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I really hope your car is still in the new car "break in" phase. Buying mine CPO with 7,200 miles already on the engine saved me 3-4 months of the frustration of having such an awesome car and not being able to make it sing.

Quick Reply: Any evidence that overrevs matter at all?