Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how many double Ds use clear bra to avoid road rash.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 06:32 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how many double Ds use clear bra to avoid road rash.

I use my 2011 as a Daily Driver. I just took my first short road trip (Dallas to Austin and back). And yes, found a chip or two in the paint on the front bumper. I dislike the look of the clear bra but was really disheartened to see chips to the metal from rocks. I am inclined just to live with it as I did on my 964 but am curious. How many out there who use their p-car for daily driver have clear bra installed? thanks, John
Old 10-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I have on both my Carrera S and Q7 S-Line.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Despite all the good things said about clear bra, the ones I've seen all end up dried up, yellow, and filthy at the corners. MAYBE I HAVE NOT YET SEEN ONE DONE PROPERLY BY A PROFESSIONAL (in caps to make a point so people here don't stone me to death!!!). The ones I've seen were installed by the dealer, and not by a guy in a van. Nonetheless, that may not mean a whole lot since my experience has been less than desirable. And maybe Joe from the Van is better. Until I see a three or four year old car with a healthy, clean clear bra still intact, I will not be a believer.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

i rarely drive my car and have had more than one "expert" ask me why I spent money on clear bra. Seems intuitive that dd's would be more inclined to go clear bra than non-dd's.

my 2 cents
Old 10-17-2011, 07:07 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gone both routes.
On a previous car, I had a full coverage clear bra. The car was red, the protection worked, and the film was not visible from beyond 3 feet or so.

On my current car, I have film only on my headlights and parking/fog/turn signal fixture. I decided against doing the whole bumper because my priorities changed. Compared to before, I now care more about "go" than "show." My car is for driving, not for staring.

So why did I cover just the lighting? Because they're absurdly expensive to replace, and I didn't want to tape them every time I went to the track. I'm happy with my decision.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:24 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Originally Posted by acao
I've gone both routes.
On a previous car, I had a full coverage clear bra. The car was red, the protection worked, and the film was not visible from beyond 3 feet or so.

On my current car, I have film only on my headlights and parking/fog/turn signal fixture. I decided against doing the whole bumper because my priorities changed. Compared to before, I now care more about "go" than "show." My car is for driving, not for staring.

So why did I cover just the lighting? Because they're absurdly expensive to replace, and I didn't want to tape them every time I went to the track. I'm happy with my decision.
Thats an Idea I had not considered. Might be a good compromise. I am trying to aquire the mentality of more go than show. Hard with a new car let alone a 911.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:31 PM
henrysko
Instructor

Had it on our Bimmer and I'll never do it again.

Yellowed, corners peeled, etc and that was just 3 years of driving. And it was top quality 3M, professionally installed for $850!

Put your money away and, when the time comes, go for a respray instead.

Of course, YMMV.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

I've didn't have clear bra on my M3 and I tracked it several times and didn't like all the little chips in the bumper, hood and cracked headlight. So now have it on my GTS and my DD, although the yellowing is a factor, the price of the clear bra is still cheaper and a better solution versus a repaint (IMHO). I figured nothing is better than factory paint and plus the money I spent on clear bra is probably around the cost of a new paint job any way. Again this is my opinion but its how you want to look at it. I'm OCD, so even if the clear bra yellows, I can always replace it versus trying to color match or worse yet finding over spray later on...
Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I use a clear vinyl (not 3M) on the entire front of my car including the entire trunk lid, mirrors etc. My 4S is my DD including winter Works well. NO yellow after 2 years on my white car. Don't recall the product except that is is not 3M and has no orange-peel.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:33 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

My 06 is my DD and had the new XPel clear bra put on after having the front end repainted after hitting a deer. The new XPEL looks great on my black cab.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:59 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I drive 70 miles each day with ongoing construction in my area and it is a must. installed a 3m clearbra, so far it has saved my car from many chips and scratches and other airborne crap. It is cheaper to replace the clearbra sections than respray.

I know some prefer a repsray but i would not want to deal with the paint matching of a metallic color and also have to deal with any issues of why the front was repainted if the car is sold.. Porsche undergoes a paint process that i feel can not be matched by any body shop.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the clear bras on my car and the wife's Acura DD. In Florida we have love bugs and they destroy paint . . .
Old 10-18-2011, 10:58 AM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Thanks for these responses. Obvious spilt of opinion on this. I am still thinking. Looks like I will have to consider differences in quality of the material used.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:44 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

I am a huge fan of "Double Ds" and prefer them bra-less!!!!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:10 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

I have had it on my last 2 cars. It is now 6 years old on my 911 and getting a bit dull and the edge on the hood a bit worn. I need to replace it soon. That said, it is not yellow at all. And it is only noticed by others when standing very close to the car. I have a few stone chips on the hood just above the edge of the shield. But the paint underneath the shield is undoubtedly perfect. Would I do it again? Yes indeed.

Quick Reply: how many double Ds use clear bra to avoid road rash.