Sponsored by:

Winter tyres

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 01:47 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter tyres

I am about to fit my first (ever) set of winter tyres.

Seems the choice I have is Michelin or Michelin. Does anyone here have any experience of the Pilot Alpin tyres? Are they noisy/skittish, whatever?

I'd appreciate some feedback from guys living in wintry lands!

thank you
Old 11-07-2011, 02:07 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
I am about to fit my first (ever) set of winter tyres.

Seems the choice I have is Michelin or Michelin. Does anyone here have any experience of the Pilot Alpin tyres? Are they noisy/skittish, whatever?

I'd appreciate some feedback from guys living in wintry lands!

thank you
I got the PA2 and they're great, no issues! The other option is Pirelli Sotozero or something like that, BOTH have been reviewed positively, nothing between them, pick the cheaper option.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:10 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Alex, I appreciate the opinion.

In Vancouver, you would know!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:13 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by draxa
Thanks, Alex, I appreciate the opinion.

In Vancouver, you would know!
Yup! Although, we actually rarely get much snow unless I take a trip up to Whistler.

Regardless, I usually swap to winter tires in November and take off in March, that saves the more expensive summer tires, works GREAT in rainy/cold weather, and actually the N-rated Winter tires handle very nicely compared to typical winter tires, so pretty much win-win-win!
Old 11-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

As mentioned, there are a few options. Go to TireRack.com and pull up the car, wheel size, and select winter tires and you should have some choices to get you started with.

I've been running the Michelin Alpin Sports for 2 winters and the work well, though are (not surprisingly) a bit nosier in the car (given the more pronounced tread and that the 911 interior gets lots of wheel noise). But I get traction below 45 degrees and can drive on snow with much less fear.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:07 PM
agreenway
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pirelli Sottozero

I run the Sottozero's on my C2S. I have put lots of miles in the snow over the last few years.

Very happy with these tires.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have used the Pirelli's. They worked very well in the ice and snow. Obviously you want to wait until the streets have been somewhat plowed, but I find that 911s can handle very well in these conditions with the proper tires.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott997
Obviously you want to wait until the streets have been somewhat plowed,
Not at all, you just need to wait until enough traffic has driven over the snow to at least pack it down. Once the snow is packed down hard, you can drive on it just fine in the Porsche.

The only problems my Targa 4 has had is when the snow melts to slush and isn't plowed, but stays at 2-3 inches of slush, going up even slight slick exposed aggregate concrete is a non-starter (ie my driveway). But thats why I have a shovel... to prevent water skiing.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:30 PM
boolala
Race Car

I have PA2s on both cars. Works for me.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:52 PM
4 Track Mind
Advanced

Pirelli Sottozero are adequate in the snow but at 295 on the rear I can't help but wonder how much better they would be if I'd managed a 265 fitment.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:23 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4 Track Mind
Pirelli Sottozero are adequate in the snow but at 295 on the rear I can't help but wonder how much better they would be if I'd managed a 265 fitment.
That's why I actually down-sized to 265/235 on 18" wheels on my 4S, I then use my spacers to help with narrower width of the wheels. The side benefit is that the tires are quite cheaper to purchase!
Old 11-12-2011, 05:10 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

I had the Michelin Pilot Alpin fitted on Thursday.

Definitely softer/more comfortable to drive - I had got very used to the firm ride of the Bridgestones but these are, say, 10% gentler.

Also I reckon 10-15% of steering feel has been lost vs the Bridgestones. It's a 911 so the steering still feels great but not as great as it was. This is not a wonderful thing but it is certainly a small trade-off worth paying (particularly if we have a cold winter).

I was concerned that there would be a noise issue but this is almost not worth mentioning. OK I'll mention it; very slight thrumm on the overrun on smooth roads. You'd have to be listening hard to catch it.

So I'll wait and see how it goes in the ice and snow. My first time with winters.

Thanks for the advice and opinions above.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok Minok is right, doesn't have to be plowed but you want your chin spoiler to clear ;-)
Another important note, once temps are consistently below freezing, even if there isn't snow or ice on the ground, you should have winter tires. The compounds of performance tires feels like hard plastic on ice when its really cold out.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed on the Tirerack site that they have removed the Michelin PA2's, the only option for 18's is Pirelli Sottozero. I know they were having a hard time getting 235/40 18 in the PA2 from Michelin.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:16 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

As another thought but not N-spec. I use Dunlop winter 3D. I have used same brand on my other car for winter over the last 5 years and prefer them over Yoko, Pirelli and Toyo. Haven't used michelin. I was having a hard time finding michelins Pa2 as the last batch at TIrerack got sold and if I got a flat this winter in those larger rear tires, I would be SOOL.
Combo is 235/40/18 f and 285/35/18 r. Handling is superb and no loss in steering feel. THese tire are great on cold pavement, great in light snow and good in deep snow, great in slush, and good on ice...by the fourth year they are a little less good on ice.

Quick Reply: Winter tyres