Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem filling fuel tank? Or...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 02:54 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Problem filling fuel tank? Or...

It actually feels like Machiavelli had the right of it. The whimsical "law of unintended consequences" only seems to strike laws passed with higher motives. But I may be hasty about seeing a state-wide problem, when it's just my own C2S. Let me explain:

Gas stations in southern California have been closing for a day or so and re-opening with little signs bragging of their new dispensers that reduce vapor losses during fueling. I had a brief curmudgeonly thought that they couldn't slow the delivery rate much more without providing rations and bedding, but that's just old-man talk. It actually seemed like a reasonable requirement. I suppose. Sorta. Anyway, it didn't bother me particularly. Now it seems I should have flinched harder.

I have refueled at Chevron stations three times since the change. I tried different stations because I thought it was a random result of poor maintenance the first time. I was too preoccupied with other matters to assign a cause the second time, but it stuck in memory so I went to a third station this time. It could possibly be some other cause than the new requirement, but after three trials I'm skeptical. Too much coincidence. Besides my car, the only change the stations have in common in this brief period is that nozzle upgrade. Well, I say 'upgrade', but...

With the old pump handles: you start the flow into your tank; the pump shuts off when the back pressure rises enough to indicate full; you let it sit briefly (about a deep breath does it) and then tip the handle upward to let the last bit run into the filler neck; remove the handle and replace it on pump. Bob's your uncle. No spillage and you can do the whole chore wearing good clothes.

Now... things are not so effective. Thus: Start the flow; pump shuts off after a few gallons; re-start the flow; pump shuts off after an additional gallon; re-start the flow; pump shuts off after one more grudging gallon; re-start the flow; ad inflowitum.

I haven't been a "top up the tank" motorist since my second year of engineering school when I figured out the cold gas from underground that you pump in just comes back out the overflow when it warms up in your car's tank. (Darned if I know where it goes now, because they changed the overflow arrangement years ago, but it doesn't give you the benefit of a brimful tank that people hope will result.) My point is I'm not a driver who sits there clicking the handle repeatedly when I fuel my car. I get out of the car having done the arithmetic to know how many gallons I need to pump. Usually I'm right within a couple of tenths, but I'm never off by more than half a gallon. So when the pump shuts off, I need only glance at the meter that shows how much has been pumped to know whether the tank is full or it's one of those temperamental off-geklicken moments that afflict these devices.

Now? Now I'm sitting there clicking the handle like a damn fool because the tank is only three-quarters full.

In the last three fueling stops, I haven't got my tank above 14-gallons, give or take a quart. It's full enough to reset the computer, but the gauge reads about 3/4 and the range shown is only 230 to 250 miles.

If this is me, I'll schedule a service of course, but it sure did coincide with the change in the pumps and I've never had the least problem before.

I'm hoping this is just a problem with one or two nozzle types and I'll try a different supplier next week, but what does the forum think about this? Have I missed a service bulletin? Or should I give up and live with half-tanks as long as I stay in California?

Gary
Old 11-26-2011, 03:14 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm assuming, Gary, that your specific area in SoCal had vapor recovery nozzles before, but these have been replaced with "upgraded" ones? There have been no changes up here (yet); we've had our current VR nozzles for quite a while. I've occasionally had the problem you describe at random locations, but usually I can fill up with no problem.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:26 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Gary: I have the same question as Mike. But, in any case, these CA 'vapor recovery' gizmos are a big PITA. In our cars I found that twisting the nozzle 90 deg clockwise from the usual transversal/down position (i.e., aligning the main plane of the nozzle with the front-back direction of the car) helps. And yes, never overfill, as it contaminates the emissions back-flow system.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:13 AM
wbellinz
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife is having a similar problem with her Audi. However we are in PA and not CA. I have researched this issue a lot as it is annoying. In my case it is the car. There are a couple components to the EVAP system. Usually th carbon canister fills with gas if you " top off the tank." the other culprit may be the leak detection pump. My point is it may be an issue with the cars EVAP system. Try another car at the gas station to rule out the new pumping system.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary,

I'm having the same issues, when I fill up the gas pump handle stops after every couple of gallons. Since my car only has about 800 miles, I've only filled up twice and I have yet to get the fuel indicator to read a complete full. So irritating!

And I thought it was the Chervon Station but after two different stations I realized maybe its me? The thought of me not working the gas pump properly crossed my mind, "am I really that stupid?" or I did fail to get the "secret handshake" from my Porsche Dealer on how to properly fill up my car? I was thinking about starting a thread but was a bit embarrassed about it too.

So thank you for the thread and I'm glad I'm not the only one with cantfillmycartofullitis, its a terrible disease that I no longer have to suffer in shame or alone...
Old 11-26-2011, 10:47 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Move to Oregon or New Jersey and your angst about a full tank will be replaced with angst about the high school guy filling the tank.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Gary:

Careful with ADias' advice, as the further you depart from the perpendicular placement of the nozzle plane to the ground, the greater the chances of disabling the back flow valve in the nozzle (auto shut-off).

I wonder, given California's infinite and green superiority, if you are dealing with newly installed ATC dispensers. Any chance? I look forward to hearing from consumers who are using automatic temperature adjusting dispensers whine about not getting the gallons for which they pay. Lawyers are behind the movement, and it may be coming to a fuel retailer near you, undoubtedly destined for its genesis in the great state of California. (sometimes you just get what you deserve)

In all seriousness though, Gary, none of the EPA-imposed vapor guidelines have ever wasted much consideration on consumers. Your (and other posters') experiences should come as no surprise. That's your government at ...cough, cough,...."work."
Old 11-26-2011, 11:11 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

X2 on NJ. Some of those kids actually shake the car with how hard they put the pump in. I'm usually pretty cool (it's just a car) but I caught myself saying "what the F__ are you doing?" to someone recently when they landed the nozzle in the tank like they were trying to push the car sideways. They don't work for tips so they don't give a ****.

I've found that if you leave the nozzle 1-2" out from fully inserted, the auto shut-off works properly.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:13 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

You need one of these.
997-201-944-00 ADAPTER
It helps with the vapor capture nozzle. It is a plastic ring that goes around the filler neck. It has little humps around the edge that allow more air in and out during fueling. Once you put it on you leave it on. Takes two second to install. Remove the gas cap, silde the adapter on, then put the gas cap back on and your are done.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 160 Posts

Turning the nozzle 90-degrees solves this "problem."
I did not realize the delivery systems had recently changed in CA, as I've had the early shut-off syndrome on my wife's Boxster for years. I always thought the shape of Porsche's gas tank "confused" the gas pump's auto-shut-off mechanism.
Once I started filling up with the nozzle rotated off vertical, problem disappeared.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

try the Chevron at Westminster and Seal Beach Blvd. That is where I fuel my 2007 C2s (pump #3 usually). I have not experienced the problem you are describing. Sometimes, if the nozzle is not inserted straight, it will give me a fuelus interruptus, but otherwise, there is just enough time to wipe down my windows, and I am full.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Aerokitted
Pro

Flip it upside down no issues
Old 11-26-2011, 12:11 PM
yossarian
Advanced

Originally Posted by function12
You need one of these.
997-201-944-00 ADAPTER
It helps with the vapor capture nozzle. It is a plastic ring that goes around the filler neck. It has little humps around the edge that allow more air in and out during fueling. Once you put it on you leave it on. Takes two second to install. Remove the gas cap, silde the adapter on, then put the gas cap back on and your are done.
+1. I got it about six months ago, felt less foolish at the pump and have never had an issue since. I'm in CA.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:42 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you the the adapter?
Old 11-26-2011, 01:12 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Picture of adapter? Price varies from $4-$14 dollars.

Quick Reply: Problem filling fuel tank? Or...