Sponsored by:

Yep, 997 values are tanking...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:10 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yep, 997 values are tanking...

Three months ago my sig car, a GTS cab with a $125 window, purchased new in June was supposedly tanking. Everyone I spoke to or heard from ws telling me to dump it quick, the 991 is coming.

I had a bug for the 993TT and was looking to perhaps do some type of deal. This past weekend I was contacted by a local Porsche dealer asking me if I wanted to sell it to him for $5K more than I was told to offer it to the Market for private parties to buy. I asked him what's up.

He said that the market for ultra-clean lo miles 997.2's is hot. Not the "specials" like GT-3/RS or TTS, but just great clean "ordinary" 997's He said that West Coast dealers are offering just about anything he wants for a good car.

Well, after some horse-trading and for cash and a "future consideration" I sold my GTS for a price I was told I'd never get just a few months ago.

Rumors walk, $$$$ talks guys. THe 991 may not make the noise expected, or maybe the timing is just right now...

I'll be back...
Old 12-13-2011, 04:15 PM
tbrom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mean you sold your GTS to buy a 993 TT??? Wow, I'm shocked. Your GTS out performs the TT in every way except for perhaps the old feel of the air cooled engine - I'm speachless. Is the GTS just not that good??? Were you unhappy with it? Gotta be more to it than "better dump it quick"....can't believe you still didn't loose a lot of dough on it.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:22 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Originally Posted by allegretto
Three months ago my sig car, a GTS cab with a $125 window, purchased new in June was supposedly tanking. Everyone I spoke to or heard from ws telling me to dump it quick, the 991 is coming.

I had a bug for the 993TT and was looking to perhaps do some type of deal. This past weekend I was contacted by a local Porsche dealer asking me if I wanted to sell it to him for $5K more than I was told to offer it to the Market for private parties to buy. I asked him what's up.

He said that the market for ultra-clean lo miles 997.2's is hot. Not the "specials" like GT-3/RS or TTS, but just great clean "ordinary" 997's He said that West Coast dealers are offering just about anything he wants for a good car.

Well, after some horse-trading and for cash and a "future consideration" I sold my GTS for a price I was told I'd never get just a few months ago.

Rumors walk, $$$$ talks guys. THe 991 may not make the noise expected, or maybe the timing is just right now...

I'll be back...
Let us know if your get a 993. I have been tempted to do the same trade with my 2011C2 but need the peace of mind of the factory warranty. I have noticed that dealer prices on low milage 997.2s are really holding.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:28 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Haven't decided on my next P-car

The Cab (GTS's are great BTW) was in part for me to chauffeur my daughters. They love riding in "Daddy's Convertible". But this prevented me from getting a real "keeper" of a 911. Picked up a BMW M3 Cv as a DD and 'Convertible". It is a great car for the purpose I bought it and takes care of the two catagories.

Now, I can get something I really want... Oh Boy! Not sure a 993TT is the one. I'm kinda digging a few different approaches. It won't be about all-out performance this time since all of them are plenty fast... except the Old Ones. You know, early 70's S's and such... yum yum!

Oh, BTW I sold it to a dealer for $3K less than I paid for it in June... it was an offer I could NOT refuse.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:50 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The Cab (GTS's are great BTW) was in part for me to chauffeur my daughters. They love riding in "Daddy's Convertible". But this prevented me from getting a real "keeper" of a 911. Picked up a BMW M3 Cv as a DD and 'Convertible". It is a great car for the purpose I bought it and takes care of the two catagories.

Now, I can get something I really want... Oh Boy! Not sure a 993TT is the one. I'm kinda digging a few different approaches. It won't be about all-out performance this time since all of them are plenty fast... except the Old Ones. You know, early 70's S's and such... yum yum!

Oh, BTW I sold it to a dealer for $3K less than I paid for it in June... it was an offer I could NOT refuse.

Wow!!!
That was an incredible deal the dealer made for you.
Congrats. Go's to show what great cars 997s are.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:55 PM
DHC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

My guess would be "the economy.". Used car prices seem to be holding quite steady, directly with the continued high employment and lack of a true recovery.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:05 PM
prepostrs
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is great that your expectations were exceeded. For me to see this as a data point for the true indication of the 997 price trend, I would need to know specific #'s and the sources that were offering you predictions and advice. Once 991's hit the streets we'll have more info, but I'm happy to hear your story worked out.

If your trade yielded a 993TT for you, congrats and enjoy it. I'm curious what a "future consideration" would be.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:07 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I'll be back...
Great deal!! What part of the county are you in?
Old 12-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

I'll be back...
your sig car is kinda hairy. Don't know that it's worth that kind of money!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

congrats on your sale. Hope you find what you want.

Now someone else has got a chance to pick up a great GTS cab.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:45 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
congrats on your sale. Hope you find what you want.

Now someone else has got a chance to pick up a great GTS cab.
+1, plenty of guys here were drooling over picking up a pre-owned GTS, and this one def has low miles, guaranteed. provided no accident history in those short 6 months of ownership.

So the OP sells it for $3K less than he paid. Is that pre-tax? doesn't seem like a deal to lose $3k, Maybe if he paid cash for it, possibly, in order to not finance a nut for 6 months. The dealer wins if he can sell the car close to what the PO purchased it for, if not more.

Either way, we fancy Pcars for the enjoyment factor and as always, looking for something better ( or worse, lol.)
Old 12-13-2011, 07:03 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

what about the sales tax? a loss as well, no?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:15 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

huh ? full of oxymorons. daddys convertible ? all out performance ? oh boy ? yum yum ? roflmao.

you don't know what you want. did you put more than 1000 miles on the GTS in 3 months ?

993TT ? I think that's a pass for you.

.........if it's too good to be true.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:21 PM
boolala
Race Car

Unless he's already got a buyer lined up I just don't see how this dealer is going to make any money on the deal. (unless the OP bought the car at a good discount to MSRP).
Old 12-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Unless he's already got a buyer lined up I just don't see how this dealer is going to make any money on the deal. (unless the OP bought the car at a good discount to MSRP).
This is spot on. Why would they pay that much money on spec.? A couple of years ago my sales guy offered to buy my '08 SY C2S b/c he had someone who desperately wanted it. He was going to basically trade me my car for a new '09 MkII but I didn't like the color so I nixed the deal.

Quick Reply: Yep, 997 values are tanking...