Sponsored by:

Happiness is a state of mind

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 12:59 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Happiness is a state of mind

" This is not meant to be an insulting, criticizing or smart *** type post so I want to apologize in advance if it appears as such "

Happiness is a state of mind. We, the fortunate few who lurk or actively post in this forum as Porsche owners drive a car with such wonderful attributes. We experience a sensory overload on day 1 of our motoring pilgrimage i.e. the day we drive back our car from the dealership or even just watching it being lowered to the ground by the enclosed vehicle carrier gives us goosebumps.

In the years past after many miles go by the car loses it's charm and appeal. The paint is no longer shiny, the seats no longer free of bolster wear and we have forgotten the new car leather smell. Then we start thinking about our next acquisition and very reasonably so. But these days in the age of the automotive forums we gain access to such an amazing amount of information. Everyday through these forums, we get to read reviews of new cars (last I checked there were more than 30 reviews for the 991), see shots of cars from amazing photographers, watch youtube links of drag races, private message and ask opinions of the options they have ordered in their personal cars, etc. Now it's hardly been a year or two since you've owned the car, the new car smell if still better than perfect, the clear-bra has not seen it's first rock chip, the car has yet to see it's first oil change, yet we are no longer happy and are already thinking of our next car. Why ? Coz we hear other owners rave about the raspiness of their exhaust, see pictures of a new design of a forged wheel on a website, read on magazine websites about the insane torquiness of the engine on the new model. Now what was a completely harmonious package is now no longer satisfactory. All of a sudden the Carrera red natural leather looks better, the FVD brombacher street exhaust appears to be the only go to choice and yes we swap a perfect car for a turbo and then exchange a TT for a TTS coz our TT does not have PCCB's and of course platinum silver on the TTS looks such much better than GT silver that adorned your TT.

As a owner of several P-cars, I browse various sections of this and other forums and I see an increasing trend of owners changing their cars at an alarmingly fast rate. My wife's car is a first gen MINI convertible and I rarely see this trend in MINI owners jumping from one car to another. Porsche certainly would love to have us all enter into Porsche ownership by buying a Cayman then upgrade to a 997S a couple of years later only to then custom spec a TT even before it's time for a major service on the previous car. Yes this helps the economy, the company, the dealers and more importantly fellow Porsche owners who want a CPO'd P-car that is even better than a new car as the engine is now broken in (well sometimes not even that). As a newbie Porsche owner myself, the reason I posted this was to gain insight if this has always been the case with owners of such high performance cars or is this a new trend that can be linked to our foray into automotive forums.

Obviously anyone can chime in but I would love to hear from owners who have owned Porsches for several decades. My sincere question to you guys is: Are you keeping your cars less often than you used to, if so why so, are you doing things to it that you previously would never have even imagined like adding a paint protection film and changing a perfectly fine side skirt. To the relatively new owners my question is would you have altered your behavior if not for these forums. I've been guilty of this too. My perfect car is all covered in paint protection film (aka extreme craziness), my exhaust is no longer that perfect after I hear the sound of PSE on youtube, the paddle shifters seem so much more racing inspired and a must have although for a DD the shift buttons work perfect when you are sipping a cup of coffee and having a C4S, the ultimate all-weather high performance car, I still contemplate whether I should own the ultimate 997 (GTS vs TTS) even though I know that my car is as good as a GTS, I personally am not a fan of CL wheels, alcantara and am under the impression that the extra 100 hp will be a sure overkill at least for my less than average driving skills. Yes I have no interest in the 991 but will these forums overload me with enough meat that I will eventually succumb.... Bottomline is that I love my stable of cars and each car is unique and is a superb performer in it's own right and I really want to never part with these. Not after how much care I've given them over the months, years.. Yes we can always put to rest an endless mental debate but conjuring up those famous words "Life is short" and go for whatever our heart craves for but we all have great cars to begin with and that's my point. We have so much to thank these forums for as we learn so much on how to drive and care for our cars but is there a dark side to these forums; sometimes I wonder.

One of the pleasures of owning a vehicle is the bonding that one develops over time, but these days I wonder if the so-called auto-enthusiasts ever experience this unique feeling as they are already enamoured by the next best, gotta have car. I finish my post with one final thought to consider as a new year resolution. Let's all be thankful for the car we have and let's all clean it, maintain it, drive it and most of all ENJOY IT.

Here's to a very happy new year

w00t
Attached Images    

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 12-31-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:38 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

This could be a great discussion.

I really like a lot of various sports cars...not all just Porsche. I'm really liking my current GTS. It has a lot of things I wanted in my Porsche for various reasons for me personally. Is it perfect for me...NO...but so far it's been a great car with the way I like to use on the street and track.

I am guilty of not keeping cars. Why? Cost of mantanance after the warranty. The cost to maintain or replace major parts of my GTS after it's is over might be a serious reason I will not own it much past 4 years. I would really like to further dial my GTS in and customize it but hate to do much more to it and lose that money when I have to replace those parts with the stock parts.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:55 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Mdrums I too am hoping for a nice discussion. I would like every response to also state if
A) They are a long time performance car owner or someone new.

B) Have their choice to swap or add something to their car got anything to do with the time they have spent on the forum.

I feel the "younger guys" and the "newer owners" have a lower threshold to swap cars but I may be way off. You bring up a great point on the running costs after the warranty period. But it is my impression that several dealers offer after-market warranty for $5k for piece of mind for another 4 years or 50,000 (or whatever extra miles) and by then it's an 7 year old car anyway and I can certainly understand getting into something new before our time in this planet runs out. In fact I can even understand changing it every three years but cars are being changed with hardly 10 k miles on the odo.

Obviously it is one's nature or personality that really plays the biggest role but I wonder if we would love our cars that much more and keep it that much longer if we spent less time lurking in car forums. I would love to hear other people's take.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:50 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

I agree. Happiness is truly a state-of-mind and balance in life. Re one's car or any other possession, and beyond financial considerations... once I get something that suits my needs I like to keep it a number of years, or depending on the item, forever. Constantly changing things, like one changes a shirt, simply means one is never happy with what one got and one is always chasing an illusion. Of course, there may be other reasons and there's always an exception out there.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:48 AM
onetrickpony
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's human nature to always want to improve and especially thanks to the internet and these forums, the lure of the newest features and higher models become very enticing. However, one of the things I love about Porsches is that they seem to have a rather 'timeless' element to their design - I'd like to think that the older they get, the more character they develop, unlike with many other brands.

That being said, I upgraded from a Boxster to a Cayman S, to a Carrera S. I'd really like to think that the C2S is the keeper for me.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:21 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I have always enjoyed driving and puttering around with cars. I've gone from '60's vintage Fords to Fiats and Saabs. Certainly an eclectic background. 911's were always on my list but never in my budget. When I started to realize that I enjoyed driving more than tinkering, I was drawn to 911's more and more because of their reputation for being fun to drive and durable. So after some test drives, 964, 964 Turbo, 993, I decided to pull the trigger. I have gone through the stage where I felt I needed to mod my car. This was immediately after purchasing it eleven years ago. Since, I have not had the hankering to sell/replace my 911. Honestly, my car has actually spoiled me to the point where I have become super picky these days, hyper critical of newer models and newer cars in general. Not to start an argument here-that's just my perspective. Will I ever get another performance car-maybe-but most likely in addition to my current car and perhaps another 993 or older Porsche.

Last edited by Franklin229; 12-31-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:48 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

w00T.

I change often!

I lease the car for business and I love the car for what it is and the thrill I get just getting in it every day or even looking at it. Financially that makes sense for me and has not much to do with the car. 3 or 4 years and I'm pretty much ready for a new one. That's me and that's my personality business reasons aside. I also can't deny that upkeep had something (small part) to do with my decisions as well.

Keeping a car for a long time has never appealed to me and I've never done it. I've had 4 911s in 11 years and in fact since I'm 18 I've always changed cars and the longest I've had one was 5 years and that was a 911 lease.

I never modify my cars although I did add an exhaust to a 996 c4s and was always sorry and would never do so again. I'm 64 and want to drive these cars forever!

Tom
Old 12-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you have.
I drive all of my cars till there's nothing left.
My mbz 270,000 miles
My ford excursion 182,000 miles (I still drive that one)
My p-car 32,000 miles, and I plan to keep it till it is done.
My boat is 33 years old and in 5 star condition.
I have been married for 23 years, and I will keep her too! (yes, she is also in 5 star condition)
When I go to a restaurant, I order what I know.
It's just how I'm wired, boring I know, but that's just me.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

Great discussion. I go by the definition of happiness as "the overcoming of knowable barriers towards a known goal". I think this is where our non-ending quest for the next car comes from. It's not in actually finally getting the new car, it's the process involved. Its the game of it. I've done it almost three times now - getting close to swapping out my loved 997.1 for a 993, a new GTS, and finally a lightly used 997.2 C4S. And every time I pulled out of the deal. I think there is a rational to the warranty issue that is not so emotionally but practically driven.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:10 PM
swajames
Racer

These are special cars, and owners do form a bond with them. That said, I am personally a car guy first and foremost, and a happy Porsche guy second. At some point, I will change - in large part because I love trying new things and different experiences. I am thinking about an end of run 997.2, I'm also thinking about a 991 - but there are so many great cars out there and I love being able to live with one for a few years, enjoy it and then try something different. I've got a demanding job which sees me traveling a lot and I like to enjoy my things when I'm home. Through my job, I can enjoy some of the finer things and for me cars are in this category. I'd like to own an Aston and I'd like to own a Ferrari, and at some point I'll scratch these itches but for now I am happy with my 911 although it isn't a car I will keep for more than another year or two. Simply put, I've been happily married for over 20 years and I like that part of my life to stay just the way it is, but for me cars are things I like to enjoy for a few years then try something new. I also love the process of shopping for the next car, and for me it boils down to life being too short to not try and enjoy new things.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:06 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

w00t, nice post and a very Happy New Year to you.

For the record, I own a 2009 C2S Cab that I purchased new and have had it about 2 years now. I have a crossover that is my airport/commute/Home Depot ride and the C2S is my pleasure car. Nothing more perfect for SoCal than dropping the top and heading down the Pacific Coast highway or a spirited ride through the canyons. Being my first Porsche, I wanted to get to know the car and it's characteristics before modding. I've just this past week begun the mods with a new center pipe from Sharkwerks (sounds GREAT/easy install and Alex was very helpful) and am going to be looking into other mods down the road.

I'd like to begin by addressing your comments about all the temptations on the internet (forums, new car reviews, galleries, etc.) that push/pull a person to trade sooner that later, with a single word in response...EXACTLY I too try and resist - until one day I start thinking how nice it would be to have the better sounding exhaust, upgraded speakers or even the next gen C2s Cab. I would add though that I don't think this is exclusive to the Porsche brand as many of my friends trade their (non P-car) vehicles on a frequent basis (annually). I'd agree with you that the overexposure/multiple marketing avenues being used by manufacturers today to expose us to thier new models is part of the reason and would add a couple more: 1) more than ever a persons vehicle is seen as a status symbol (none of us here of course) and they are agressively marketed that way by the manufacturers' and, 2) the ability to afford to trade vehicles more often. As we know, Porsches are not inexpensive so the folks who purchase them can generally afford to trade on a more frequent basis (even if it's for another P-car). In comparison, the Mini is a more affordable car and attracts it's share of 1st time buyers who (from a financial standpoint) need to keep the car longer.

On a personal note, coming from a middle class background, we didn't have the ability to trade cars every year and the "norm" was that a car should last 5+ years then you replace it. I can recall many an evening in college changing brakes, etc. on the college beater. Having had the good fortune of success in my career, I can now trade cars as frequently as I wish. I started in the mid 90's with the upscale American brands and then purchased several Mustang GT's culminating in a Shelby GT 500 vert, and moved into German cars from there. Before my current C2S I had purchased new a 2008 BMW 535i then 12 mos later traded it for a 2008 BMW M3 vert (that I still miss to this day). I agree with you, there is something I miss about every ride I have owned and it is always tough to part with them in trade for the next ride. As you can probably read between the lines, I am somthing of a gearhead and enjoy modding all of my vehicles (I have m-cycles as well and just this week had the 103 big bore kit installed on the Harley).

Back to my current ride, I really am enjoying the CS2 and plan on keeping it at least another year (that will be 3 years ownership and will shock the family I'm sure) but I see the inevitable pattern begining to emerge...enjoy new ride/mod new ride/boredom sets in and then on to the next ride. Now that is not to say the C2s is boring because it's anything but that...but hard to explain - you don't really miss all the wonderful things about a ride you have had a while until it's gone...hope that makes sense? Anyway thanks for the thoughtful post and hope 2012 is a great year for everyone here!
Old 12-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

As a 38 year owner of Porsches I have to say that I'm probably in the minority. I keep my cars a very long time. Always have, whether it is a Porsche or something else. I do it because I can' afford to buy the newest and the latest, and at the same time, I truly get to know the cars I have. I know what fails, and what works. If I am on the road in the middle of no where I have already an idea of whether I will be able to successfully go out and return home again, or if I am risking a breakdown.

Today's Porsches are among some of the most reliable automobiles on the roads today. Even by modern day standards things like Ferrari owners have to temper their drives based upon how many miles away from their Italian shop they are, and how many miles have passed since their last $8,000 major tune up. (now needed, what--every 3,000 miles instead of 5,000 miles). With the Porsche brand you can be assured that you won't be left stranded anywhere provided you do the very basic due-dilligence when it comes to proactive maintenance.

I'm very happy with the car that I bought this time because I exploited the early 997 orderers' experience and found out what they were ordering, what they were happy with, and what they wished they had ordered but hadn't. So, I just made sure I got all that stuff. With a loaded Porsche you can be amply satisfied for a much longer period of time. I don't go for all the coatings and 3M this and that because, after all, it is a car. Simply a car. But a very special one, though.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Great post and it is something I have also pondered of late.

For context I have owned performance cars for about 11 years now although I have coveted them since I was 10. In the past 11 years I have owned a 500E, 928 S4, 928 GT and now the Spyder. I drove each of the cars 2 - 3K miles/year and took exquisite care of them. In fact all of the cars were in far better shape when I sold them. But that is something that has been true of nearly every fun car I have owned, even as a teenager. I have had the opportunity to drive and or ride in many other performance cars but only a rare few really have made me "want" one (GT3).

I think you make a really good point regarding car forums and how they can be a leading factor in making us want something new or different. It has everything to do with exposure as you have eluded.

For example, about 15 years ago I purchased a used Bose 901 Concerto Speaker for music and home theater. I also picked up an HK 2 channel receiver which has enough juice to make them sound really good. Since then I haven't looked at buying another set of speakers because I completely avoid the whole sound scene. I remain completely satisfied with the speakers and have no interest in replacing them. I have had sound guys who spend thousands on equipment say that my setup sounds really good. Not great but definitely better than average.

Getting back on topic, I now have the Spyder and it is without a doubt the best car I have ever experienced. In fact it represents everything I have always wanted and imagined in a sports car since I was a kid. Best part is that I was able to order it from the factory exactly the way I wanted it. And yet just this morning I was on the Suncoast website looking at some cool add on performance/luxury item. Why? Because I saw someone post a link and next thing you know I'm drawn in by it all!

But I will readily admit that I don't regret hanging out here one bit. It has become a part of my life and my hobby and it has created incredible opportunities. About 10 years ago I met Carol Shelby at an exclusive Mercedes/Car Dealers event and it was all made possible by exposure to a Mercedes Forum. I have met and continue to meet great people on this forum that have been extremely helpful, generous and great to chat with. It has been a help in other aspects of life as well, not just cars. So while I may end up spending more than I need to on my car hobby the trade off is meeting and knowing the great people which have similar interests.

Something I have learned is to focus my time on ways to enjoy what I have rather than focusing it on ways to improve what I have.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Interesting topic, Amar(w00t); I enjoyed reading your thoughtful post. I easily fall into the long-term enthusiast catagory as I've been car crazy since I was a teenager in the '60's. It would be very hard for me to pick any single reason as the prime motivator in buying or selling a car. For the most part, it's my internal expectations and level of satisfaction that drive my choices, but it would also be unrealistic to say that seeing a new car in a showroom or on the road, or reading a glowing review doesn't have some influence.

I became a Porschephile at heart after I saw my first 911 at a car show in the mid 60's and that was reinforced a few years later with a ride in a buddy's new '71 911E Targa. The deal wasn't done, however, until I bought my first new Porsche in '84; a Carrera in Ruby Red Metallic over Burgandy full leather with F/R spoilers and Fuchs wheels. I kept that car for 13 years. I also bought a new Boxster S in 2007. I kept it 2 years before trading it for my current '09 Carrera S. The difference? The '84 Carrera was my dream car, I got exactly what I wanted, and saw it at the factory (factory strike in '84 kept me from taking actual delievery; major bummer.) My emotional attachment to that car was very strong and I compromised nothing in getting it. The Boxster S, OTOH, while a great car, WAS a compromise. I tried to replace my 996 and my wife's SLK 320 with a single car that would work for both of us. It didn't. It turned out I really missed owning a 911 so we did the big car shuffle again.

Sure, I enjoy the fun of shopping, the excitement of delivery, that "new car smell" etc. and although I'm very happy with my current 911 I'd be foolish to say that I will never own another Porsche. Still, I've found that the key to my satisfaction in most everything (insofar as it's practical ) is to get what I really want even if it means waiting; it ends up being better and cheaper for me in the long run. FWIW, my current car is very satisfying and a car that I'll keep, maybe not 13 years, but a good long while.

As to your specific question, although I'm sure this will vary widely among individuals, for me personally reading this forum doesn't do too much to drive my desire for a new car. It is an enjoyable place, though, to share with others who also suffer from my particular car/Porsche disease.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Fishdoc
Rennlist Member

Yes these cars spawn happiness. Never thought I'd have a cab but this and my 07 basalt black cab have provided much fun.
With 32,000 on the od considering selling but love the car and dont want anything faster or more fun esp with top down.
Had an offshore boat, loved it but rather costly. Cant travel for long vacations since as my dental practice does not allow. Drove to the Ozarks a couple months ago with 40 other Porsche guys and gals and had a blast driving the multicolored forest roads that were designed to be driven by these cars.
Keeping this car and happy at it and a Happy New Year to you all.

Quick Reply: Happiness is a state of mind