Sponsored by:

997.2 Engine Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:56 AM
JOL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997.2 Engine Reliability

I understand that the new 991 uses a revised 997.2 engine. Now that the 997.2 has been around for a few years, have the engine problems that impacted the 996 and some 997.1, specifically cracked engine cylinders been resolved?

I had a 2003 911 C4s, that unfortunately cracked two cylinder liners due to faulty design/manufacturing process, the only fix was a new engine. I loved the car, but don't want to have that hanging over my head again.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I haven't heard of any major engine issues with the 997.2. Some cars have had the high pressure fuel pumps replace. My dealer replaced mine as part of a TSB but I never sensed anything wrong with the pump. There are those that appear to have higher than what many would consider normal oil consumption. My 09 C2S used about 1 quart per 3000 miles. Someone on here was using 1 quart per 500 miles. I would find that rate annoying. When I traded the 09 C2S at 23000 mi the only thing I had done to it was change the oil 3 times, the 20k service and the noted HPFP replacement.

If my GTS, a planned long term keeper, does as well I'll be a happy camper.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I haven't heard of any major engine issues with the 997.2. Some cars have had the high pressure fuel pumps replace. My dealer replaced mine as part of a TSB but I never sensed anything wrong with the pump. There are those that appear to have higher than what many would consider normal oil consumption. My 09 C2S used about 1 quart per 3000 miles. Someone on here was using 1 quart per 500 miles. I would find that rate annoying. When I traded the 09 C2S at 23000 mi the only thing I had done to it was change the oil 3 times, the 20k service and the noted HPFP replacement.

If my GTS, a planned long term keeper, does as well I'll be a happy camper.
Thats right I have 15000 miles. Oil consumption is 1 qt every 3500-4000 miles+ and seems to be going down. Had no issues with my HPFP but had it replaced. Been a very reliable car so far.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:46 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JOL
I understand that the new 991 uses a revised 997.2 engine. Now that the 997.2 has been around for a few years, have the engine problems that impacted the 996 and some 997.1, specifically cracked engine cylinders been resolved?

I had a 2003 911 C4s, that unfortunately cracked two cylinder liners due to faulty design/manufacturing process, the only fix was a new engine. I loved the car, but don't want to have that hanging over my head again.
Actually, I haven't seen anyone mention cracked cylinders at all on the water-cooled engines, and I include the books I read before choosing the Porsche we did buy. Not that they don't happen sometimes, but I've never seen anyone speak of a design or manufacturing problem that had to be fixed. Sorry you had a bad experience.

As for new problems, none have come up, though people who chose to stick with the 996 or early 997's kept assuring us our engine problems would show up as soon people started getting to 5,000 miles. Then it was "wait 'til 10k miles," and one optimistic Cassandra jumped that to 30k miles and ... well, none of those problems ever surfaced. The 997.2 engine is just fine. Of course it's grown quiet around here now that all the trolls have a 991 forum they can jump to and predict disasters for those buyers.

If you can afford a 997.2, buy one. You'll love it.

Gary, contemplating the terror of being an optimistic Cassandra
The following users liked this post:
sierra73 (10-22-2023)
Old 01-23-2012, 06:57 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

35000 miles here on an 09 Carrera. No issues other than the workshop campaign on the fuel pumps mentioned above. Mine was working fine, but they replaced it anyway.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:20 PM
AYHSMB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Actually, I haven't seen anyone mention cracked cylinders at all on the water-cooled engines
There have been a huge number of cases. Please read the boxster boards, for example. You can also check Pelican Parts, Pistonheads, etc. etc. It's not hard to find this information. There have been many cases of failures of the Lokasil liner, as well as D-chunk and other failures of the cylinders themselves.

As for new problems, none have come up, though people who chose to stick with the 996 or early 997's kept assuring us our engine problems would show up as soon people started getting to 5,000 miles. Then it was "wait 'til 10k miles," and one optimistic Cassandra jumped that to 30k miles and ... well, none of those problems ever surfaced. The 997.2 engine is just fine. Of course it's grown quiet around here now that all the trolls have a 991 forum they can jump to and predict disasters for those buyers.
Those people are not "trolls" as you so kindly label them. They are people who have been burned by Porsche making a shoddy engine for the last 10-15 years. Every generation since the first Boxster, the Porsche fans have been saying "oh all the engine problems are fixed now"; first with the M96.2 revs, then the M97 changes, people kept saying "the problems are in the past" and they kept being wrong. Once you see that pattern of history it is entirely logical to predict that it will happen again.

Now, it does seem at the moment that the 997.2 DFI engine is a good one. Only more time will tell if that really is the case, and people who are aware of Porsche's recent history are justifiably skeptical. So far it looks solid.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:36 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AYHSMB
Please read the boxster boards, for example.
[...]
Ah well, I wouldn't, now would I? What with having a 911 and all.

Those people are not "trolls" as you so kindly label them.
Grandma raised me to be kind. Though it consorts beneath bridges with Billy Goat Gruff, and spends its on-line time hanging around forums for people of newer models, still a thoughtful considerate person should choose a kindly name when one is at hand, rather than more blunt descriptions that suggest themselves.

Gary

Trending Topics

Old 01-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

AYHSMB it seems you need to be driving a BMW then!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep reading these types of "discussions" and laugh. Most of us on here drive Porsche's for one main reason, they're fun cars! We don't buy them for the reliability.

I had a 01 Boxster lose its engine with under 15k on the clock and have since had five other Porsche's (all of which have fortunately been fine - knock on wood). If one of them did have a problem, I would be back in one the next day.

Even with the occasional issue or non-issue, Porsche's are still one of the best values out there in the sports car segment.
JupiterJohn (01-13-2024)
Old 01-23-2012, 09:31 PM
J. Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

All the threads about M96 and M97 engine failure possibilities scared me into buying a 997.2 A little more money than I planned to spend but so happy I did. There is so much information about IMS failure (both online and with all the advertisements for the fixes in PCA publications) that I thought it was worth the extra $ for peace of mind to go with the 9A1 motor. Also figured that I'd get more of my money back at resale in a few years anticipating bigger gaps in pricing between the 997.1 and the 997.2 cars if the dot 2 continues to be so reliable. In terms of oil on my 2009 base Carrera...put on 2500K miles since purchase (bought with 7K) haven't added a drop of oil and the gauge still reads full.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:48 AM
JOL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am definitely not a troll. I am a Porsche lover that was a bit upset when my 2003 911C4s with only 45k miles self destructed. Since it was beyond the warranty period, Porsche did not offer any assistance.
I purchased it new, always had it serviced by a Porsche dealership and never abused it. The only repairs were replacing the RMS three times (third time was a charm) and replacing the front differential (unusual). It was in pristine condition, original body, paint, etc. with all the documentation.

I posted on the 996 forum looking for some information and the only options were installing a Porsche rebuilt, finding a salvaged engine or having a qualified rebuilder provide an engine. The cost to do so was outrageous. So I decided to sell it as is, luckily another Rennlister read about my situation, made a good offer and bought the car. Through his connections with the PCNA he found a porsche rebuilt, installed it in the car and sold it to a VERY HAPPY buyer. He did dismantle the engine, took pictures of the cracked cylinders (2) and was kind enough to forward them to me. Other than the cracked cylinders, he said that the engine wear was minimal. I probably lost about $20k in value when the engine went. I'm glad that some don't care about a car's reliability and can afford to so.

So no, I am not a troll, just an enthusiast that wants to get back into Porsche, but before doing so, doing a bit of due diligence.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JOL; 01-24-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Porsche911dream (09-19-2019)
Old 01-24-2012, 10:36 AM
equ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JOL, I think it's too early to say whether .2 engines are bulletproof or not, they've just not been out that long. That they're a complete redesign of the block does say something about the m96/m97, not to mention horror stories like yours. I had an m97 for 5 yrs/33k miles, no issues, but started getting worried and antsy... Did a bunch of research and it indicated that 09-11, so almost three years, and no internal failures for the new 9A1 engine. Occasional fuel or water pumps and those I don't really worry about. Another good data point was the cayman interseries, using stock 09 3.4L DFI engines. 100k race miles (spread among a bunch of cars) and not one engine failure. That's when I took the plunge and bought a 997.2. It so happens that my DFI does not use oil at all, no measurable use in the last 3k miles.

A side benefit of the switch was the different character of the new motor. While the M97 had great sound that I missed briefly, the 9A1 revs freely and has frictionless feel to it. Sportier in my opinion and still torquey. Just much better at the top end and in response.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:46 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by equ
JOL, I think it's too early to say whether .2 engines are bulletproof or not, they've just not been out that long. That they're a complete redesign of the block does say something about the m96/m97, not to mention horror stories like yours. I had an m97 for 5 yrs/33k miles, no issues, but started getting worried and antsy... Did a bunch of research and it indicated that 09-11, so almost three years, and no internal failures for the new 9A1 engine. Occasional fuel or water pumps and those I don't really worry about. Another good data point was the cayman interseries, using stock 09 3.4L DFI engines. 100k race miles (spread among a bunch of cars) and not one engine failure. That's when I took the plunge and bought a 997.2. It so happens that my DFI does not use oil at all, no measurable use in the last 3k miles.

A side benefit of the switch was the different character of the new motor. While the M97 had great sound that I missed briefly, the 9A1 revs freely and has frictionless feel to it. Sportier in my opinion and still torquey. Just much better at the top end and in response.
+1. I think we're starting to have cars with 3-4 years and higher mileage on the 9A1 engine. I really agree with your post. The engine note is a notch down (can be rectified with PSE or aftermarket) but its a great motor. A sleeper and maybe even conservatively rated at 385HP IMO. It feels faster than that. The jump from my 996 40th to the 997.2S is very noticeable. A pretty significant increase in performance and reliability (no RMS or IMS to worry about).
Old 01-24-2012, 12:21 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

so far for 9a1 engines used in any 2009+ C2 and C2S and GTS cars we dd not see here a single thread about destroyed motor. early issues on 9a1 included increased oil appetite, then on PDK car it was overheat if car had no 3rd radiator, then some cars had fuel pump (HPFP) replaced.

so so far so good, looks like those who got C2S 2009 cars when they were going with huge discounts are really in luck. seems like porsche really have managed to build a really good car with 997.2.
T Silnner (04-12-2022)
Old 01-24-2012, 12:30 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JOL
He did dismantle the engine, took pictures of the cracked cylinders (2) and was kind enough to forward them to me. Other than the cracked cylinders, he said that the engine wear was minimal. I probably lost about $20k in value when the engine went. I'm glad that some don't care about a car's reliability and can afford to so.

So no, I am not a troll, just an enthusiast that wants to get back into Porsche, but before doing so, doing a bit of due diligence.
nobody says you are.
997.1 M96 and M97 motors were improved a bit and I believe it is not a common issue with them to have U shaped cylinder cracks like in early 996 cars.
but those M96 and M97 still may suffer from 6th cylinder overheat, they still have IMS (improved) and still have chain tensioner/rattle issues and non-forged rod bolts that are stretched, and a lot of other issues related to cast and not forged internals, but it is more critical for racing, even at DE it will not bite probably, at least i want to believe that.
also those cars may not tolerate LWFW - may lead to broken crank if engine was not balanced well enough.

i beleive rod bolts and chain tensioner are the #1 common danger for heavily tracked cars considering you fixed oil starvation somehow , so if you want to buy used 997.1 car - take it to a good mechanic who knows what to listen for.
chain is allowed to rattle in cold for couple of seconds until oil gets sucked in into tensioner but if it continues to rattle for long time - it means potential big trouble.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Engine Reliability