Sponsored by:

Long time Porsche Owner giving a Ferrari a try

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:43 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

I think the price is good.

Your challenge is that people will want a lower price because of the mileage and not realize all the options the car has. People also tend to compare the 911 base price to the 911S price.

Of course too low a price tends to make people feel that there is something wrong with the car.

we car buyers tend to have inconsistent thought processes

One good way to check your price is to look at other cars like yours
http://autos.aol.com/used-detail-597...11-2005/price/

Or here ( click the market breakdown icon)
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...sting=32853616
Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 PM
henchpilot
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gated shifter is most definitely a unique think with the f car that I truly love, even if it's slower than the 6 speed in the Carrera. I researched a ton on Ferrari chat before my purchase and that's why I chose the 02 360. Over all I feel they have been very reliable cars.

For what it worth guys on Ferrari chat are extremely helpful.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Only YOU can make that call, it will be very hard for anyone else to recommend which to keep... keep both for a few weeks, and see WHICH ONE do you like to get into every morning? That'd make it easy.

The ONLY sticking point for Ferrari is maintenance. If you got an indy shop to do the work for you, then see which is easier to maintain in the long run.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:35 PM
sdiamond911
3rd Gear

I've had a 348 spider for a number of years and love the drop top. I disagree that the repairs are an honest deterrent. I'm no rocket scientist but have had no issues with dong any of the updates or repairs myself. it is self diagnostic so pulling any codes is a simple and equipment free process. Summer time top down and the engine at rev is a beautiful thing. Recently bought a 996 coupe, completely different car but enjoyable as well. I say keep them both but just get enough seat time in to keep them running smoothly.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

A year ago I crossed off one of my bucket list items by trading my 996TT for a 2006 F430 F1 coupe. I year later I traded it for a new 911 GTS. They say, "You can sleep with a Ferrari, but you will marry a Porsche".

They were right!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 PM
henchpilot
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
A year ago I crossed off one of my bucket list items by trading my 996TT for a 2006 F430 F1 coupe. I year later I traded it for a new 911 GTS. They say, "You can sleep with a Ferrari, but you will marry a Porsche".

They were right!

Curious what got you out of the F430 so quickly? Maint cost? Overall enjoyment?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't tell my three 911's, but I secretly want to try a Ferrari...

Originally Posted by henchpilot
Curious what got you out of the F430 so quickly? Maint cost? Overall enjoyment?
I'd like to know this as well...

OP, that's a HOT F-Car...!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Since you asked......

A little about myself and my automotive background is probably in order to understand my decisions.

I am a 60 year old retired mechanical engineer. Over the course of my life I have had the privilege of owning over 30 cars. As an engineer, I appreciate thorough engineering as I know firsthand what it takes to accomplish it. Since I graduated from college, I have been drawn by German cars. Up until the late 80s when the Japanese began to catch up, the most thoroughly engineered cars were German. I have lived overseas (Europe) and traveled extensively. I have experienced the sheer competency of German cars from VW's to Porsche's on the autobahn. You should have been there before all the current speed restrictions. I did my first DE at the Nurburgring with a new 911 that I had taken delivery of at the factory just four days before. I still attend 4-5 DE's each year. I have owned 7 Porsches, 3 of which were 911s, the last being a '03 996TT suitably modded for track day fun.

The last few years I watched the price of used Ferrari's come down to a level that I could justify. After considerable research, I settled on the F430 as it is the most reliable, trouble free model available. I found a 2006 F430 F1 Coupe with just under 3000 miles and traded my Turbo. Over the course of 12 months and 4000 miles, I came to the conclusion (as an engineer) that the Ferrari is woefully under-engineered.

On the plus side, it has styling, fine sumptuous leather, a lighting quick gearbox, and a exhaust soundtrack just this side of an F1 car. You should hear one in a tunnel as you rip through the gears at redline. But, you must balance that with the shortcomings of the car.

I live 300 miles round trip from the nearest Ferrari dealer. Many of the systems on the Ferrari (Engine, Transmission, Differential, A/C) require the use of an electronic service tool to accomplish even some of the simple maintenance tasks - changing and bleeding the F1 transmission control system for example. In 4000 miles, I made 3 trips to the dealer for routine maintenance and repair. That's 900 of my 4000 mile total.

I learned that the car has many "design quirks", Ferrari speak for poor engineering or quality. The electronic control systems can throw a fit and require your to go through a "shaman's dance" routine to reset the controls. Some say it just part of the Ferrari charm. They are probably not engineers. From the the 355, to the 360, to the 430, to the 458, the exhaust systems have problems. The exhaust system is designed and mounted in such way that there is little consideration for the expansion/contraction due to heat or the considerable engine vibrations that a flat plane crank V8 can develop. The inevitable outcome is cracked exhaust headers or other components.

Now the header assembly of the 430 is covered by the 8 year emissions system warranty because in contains a precat. So if they fail (and they will) Ferrari will happily put a new set on of the same design. The problem is that it is possible for metal to break off inside the header and damage the precat. It is also possible that this piece can be sucked back into the engine past the exhaust valve due to the amount of valve overlap and the high revs. This will create all sorts of havoc in the cylinder. This damage is not always covered by Ferrari as the contigent damage from the header failure. Liking it so far?

At 7000 mile, my muffler "failed" because the weld securing its outer wrap failed causing all sorts of heat insulation material to be blown about the engine compartment. I replaced the muffler myself at a cost of $2500 for the parts.

The engine compartment is nearly completely enclosed. The engine generates so much heat, it's advisable to park with the engine cover raised to exhaust the heat. Now remember there are a lot of hydraulic lines and electronic control modules positioned behind some thin walled covers in this area. What could possibly go wrong?

I ran a few DE's, but kept from pushing the car hard. It simply does not have the brakes or the suspension to keep up with much more mundane machinery. It sounded fantastic, but it rolled around like a dancing hippo from "Fantasia".

So I began to wonder. If Ferrari can't design a simple exhaust system correctly, how well have they done on the more complex systems and sub-systems? I decided that my "bucket list" item was suitably checked, and I traded the car for a 2012 GTS. Now Porsche is perfect either. Each generation has had its Achille's heel. Valve guide wear, RMS, IMS, etc. But I kow the likelyhood of any of these happening, and I know the cost to repair. Trust me, it's a lot lesss than on a Ferrari. "Better the devil I know than the one I don't".

If you havn't by now, you eventially learn that those things you think you want, aren't really as good as you thought. Perhaps this is part of the wisdom that comes with age. In the end, they're just cars, and the Ferrari is a very nice Fiat.

Last edited by Fred R. C4S; 02-10-2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: premature send
Old 02-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

Fred--My observations are very similar. However, I let my friends buy the Ferraris and I simply stood by and watched--and learned. I just stuck to Porsches--since 1974. I also spent many years in Europe (Germany, mostly) and the only cars that can be repeatedly flogged on the autobahn and survive are the Porsches.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:49 AM
henchpilot
Advanced

Thanks for the enlightenment on your f430 ownership. Truly hope my 360 can be less trouble than your experience. I've found a great Indy that's got a good rep so hopefully that will help, already did brake pads and fluids with not much more $ than my 911.

On f chat many owners have had trouble free ownership with modern fcars for many years, just keeping up with fluid and belts on recommended intervals. Who knows though, could see myself in a used 991 S in 3 years lol. Loving the newness, to me, of Ferrari ownership at the moment.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:47 AM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by RonnieTheC
I owned a 2002 6 speed 360 and a 2007 F1 F430. Also a 2009 CS2 6 speed and manny Corvettes, currently a 2010 Grand sport 6 speed. The 6 speed in the Ferrari is crap. It does not compare to the smooth short throw of a Vette or Porsche. I got tired of the F1 in the F430 real quick. it's boring. Finally, as much fun as Ferrari's are to drive and how wonderful they look and sound, in reality, they are not very well made cars. Lot's of expensive repairs. And to buy a Ferrari out of warranty is just nuts. Trust me...I worked for them for a year and a half!
Way to crap on someone's thread.... Not cool.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
....So I began to wonder. If Ferrari can't design a simple exhaust system correctly, how well have they done on the more complex systems and sub-systems?
I think the answer is that they can design incredibly reliable, well engineered systems throughout the car but they choose not to apply that engineering to their street cars. Ferrari's street cars seem borderline brittle while their F1 cars have been anything but, decade after decade, screaming around tracks at redline for hours on end, trouncing all other brands in almost every category. This is not a record achieved by poor engineering: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...la_One_records

So no....I never understood the huge divide in reliability between Ferrari's street cars and their race cars. Porsche seems to have bridged this gap much better.

Last edited by sandwedge; 02-11-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:00 AM
rsr997
Advanced

Very nice Ferrari good luck. I'm a 550 maranello guy when it comes to Ferrari.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:28 AM
henchpilot
Advanced

Originally Posted by rsr997
Very nice Ferrari good luck. I'm a 550 maranello guy when it comes to Ferrari.
Looked hard at a few 550's, beautiful car, and the V12.....
Old 02-11-2012, 04:51 AM
rsr997
Advanced

This one haunts my dreams at night.

Quick Reply: Long time Porsche Owner giving a Ferrari a try