Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE: convertibles allowed at WG, SP. VIR, NJMP???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:59 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Default DE: convertibles allowed at WG, SP. VIR, NJMP???

I am considering a 997S convertible as a daily driver but would also like to use it for DE at VIR, SP, NJMP and WG.

Which tracks allow this car to run with a soft top?

Of those that do not allow it with a soft top, am I correct to assume it is ok if the hardtop is on it? (these removable hardtops are an option on these cars, but very few have them).

Thank you
Old 03-02-2012, 05:11 PM
hjacobs2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DEs for sure
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2012, 05:23 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Clarification:
at these specific tracks can you run convertible without aftermarket roll bar -- Summit Point, Watkins Glen, New Jersey Motorsport Park, and Virginia International Raceway???

If not, then can you run with the optional hardtop, again no aftermarket rollbar added?
Old 03-02-2012, 08:16 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May depend on who is organizing the DEs

I ran at WG in my 997S Cab with no mods (no hard top, no roll bar) at PCA Zone 1 DE 2 years ago - and multiple PCA DEs at Tremblant, Calabogie and Mosport in the Cab and Boxster before it.

However i know some local clubs here in Ottawa will not allow 911 Cab without a proper rollbar because with the pop ups they can't confirm the "broomstick" test.

Check with the clubs you plan to run with ...
Old 03-02-2012, 09:12 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Clarke - Per the PCA.org website:

"Open Cars: Any make of car delivered with factory installed roll over protection meets the minimum standards for PCA DE events. In these cars the soft-top must be in the up position or the hard top installed.

If a car does not have factory installed roll over protection, a roll bar or roll cage must be installed, which meets the "broomstick" rule (the driver's helmeted head is below a bar placed on top of the roll bar and windshield). Design, installation and materials of roll bars or cages and their installation must meet PCA Club Racing specifications, contained in Appendix A-Roll Cage Specifications of the PCA Club Racing Rules. All targa tops must be installed unless there is addition roll over protection. All sunroofs must be in the closed position. The windshield alone is not considered to be factory roll over protection".....

However, many tracks and orgs require cabs to "pop-up" the integrated roll bars as part of Tech. On a 997, that usually requires an Indy or Dealer to do without throwing codes. On earlier cars (996s) I think the same are more 'mechanical' in actuation. Have to run with the top up, of course (unless there is a cage and net, etc).

If you plan to also run NASA, SCCA, BMWCCA, etc, check their websites for similar info... GL & Best

Quick Reply: DE: convertibles allowed at WG, SP. VIR, NJMP???