Sponsored by:

Another 991 review.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 01:39 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts
Default Another 991 review.

Was at the dealer today for service on my GTS. Naturally got my first up close and personal viewing of the 991s.

I was struck by the size of the car in person. It's dwarfs the 997. It is WIDE. It is LONG. Stretched in comparison. Everything seems bigger even the wheels. The 997 appeared almost diminutive next to it. The sense of size wasn't as dramatic inside the car. Didn't care for the Panamera console. The console sits higher but the dash sits lower and stretches out further due to the steeper angle of the windscreen.

Looking out over the dash to the front bonnet the fender pontoons appeared to be angled almost to a point as they curved down towards the front the car. Reminiscent of a 914 to me. Did not care for the bulbous headlights.

The engine exhaust sound is a little louder and I have the PSE with a Fabspeed X pipe on my GTS and the 991 I drove did not have PSE! There was more exhaust sound inside too.

The car was quick. On par with the GTS as to power and quickness. Steering was a little numb off of center and not quite as sensitive as the GTS. Could really feel the wider track. Suspension was nice and compliant yet firm. GTSish. PDK was great. Down shifts were instantaneous. Upshifts almost instantaneous. G force meter was cool.

The 991 had a more refined modern automated high-performance grand touring feel to it.

Stepping back into my GTS I was in a car that was immediately more mechanical (from the now antiquated hand brake to the more sensitive steering feed back) in it's feel and intimate in size with it's dash and windscreen right there. It felt like a sports car. Small, raw, purposeful and powerful.

Did I like the 991..? Yes for the most part. However, I was in no way, shape or manner wishing I waited instead of getting my GTS. In fact, I now love my GTS even more now. I made the right decision.

The 991 is nice but IMHO it just made my GTS into a classic Carrera. She's a keeper.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:39 AM
boraiv333
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't agree more!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:08 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Was at the dealer today for service on my GTS. Naturally got my first up close and personal viewing of the 991s.

I was struck by the size of the car in person. It's dwarfs the 997. It is WIDE. It is LONG. Stretched in comparison. Everything seems bigger even the wheels. The 997 appeared almost diminutive next to it. ........ .
It is really interesting how the use of horizontal design lines can make a car "appear" larger.

Model......... 997........991...... Diff.
Length...... 175.63.... 176.81... +1.18 inches

Width........ 71.18...... 71.18...... 0.00 inches

Height....... 51.18...... 50.98..... -0.20 inches

Wheelbase.. 92.52...... 96.46.... +3.94 inches
Old 03-03-2012, 08:38 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

There are many things that bother me about the car but none more than the size. It just seems big, especially in the front.....very wide....that among many other smaller things (headlights, rear end, rear lights) make me......disappointed.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
There are many things that bother me about the car but none more than the size. It just seems big, especially in the front.....very wide....that among many other smaller things (headlights, rear end, rear lights) make me......disappointed.
I've got my test drive scheduled for Wednesday.

I think a lot of these thoughts come from the fact that many of us are so used to the 997 shape and look from eight years of production of the 997.

Once we see these 991's out for 2-4 years, the 991 may become more pleasing.

I'm not a fan of the headlamps either. The lighter curb weight and faster nature of the car sure are steps in the right direction. I'm curious on the PDK part of the car. I'm not a fan of "automatics" (owned only 1 in my entire life), but all the ranting and raving over this new programming for the PDK makes me pretty curious... I guess I'll find out on Wednesday.

The price sure has crept up on these cars though over the past few years... It was not long ago that the base price of a 997 was just over $70k...
Old 03-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

While the dimensional numbers are what they are...to the eye the car is strikingly bigger. I will post pics as soon as my son gets up and shows me how. the pics drive the point home.

All the 991s at the dealer were PDK cars. Salesmen said Porsche is really pushing PDK. I don't know why. Maybe their sales studies show PDK is preferred in the Chinese market. That thought just pisses me off but it is what it is.

Interesting how even the reviews on the 991 forum are mixed. One new owner said the new 991 felt like his F360 w/ F1 or his Lambo w/ E gear but better. Maybe that's just it. Great performance but missing or missing a good chunk of 911 feel and character.

As one Evo reviewer noted it's a great performer but it's stepped away from it's classic roots that defined what a 911 is. In sum, as he said it's just not as instantly loveable like the 997 was. It just does not evoke the same excitement from a visual standpoint and has stepped outside of the Sports car realm into high performance Gt tourer.

Perhaps the 991 Turbo and GT3 models will evoke more rawness and excitement. While I do like the 991, it is a beautiful car it just does get my juices flowing like my GTS.

While some say the 991 makes the 997 look dated or antiquated I think more accurately it makes the 997 the last of the raw Carrera "sports car" with visceral feel and great performance. Last of the Mohicans. And that ain't bad.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Yes, true (in the sense that I agree). And while the 991 may be in many ways a "better" car it's the size that I just can't seem to come to grips with. If I were in the market for a new car now, where only the 991 variant was available I'd probably have to give a long hard look at a Cayman or new Boxster.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:35 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

C pillar visability is greatly reduced, rear console trim takes up even more of the rear seat area
Old 03-03-2012, 12:54 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

I'm not getting what all this size chatter is all about. The car is barely more than an inch longer. The wheels look a little big. I could do without the 20's. But I've seen the car up close and in person, it doesn't look measurably larger to any degree. Which is no surprise since it has only grown by 2/3 of 1% in length and nothing in width. I really think all this negativity over size is a subconscious reaction to rationalize holding onto your current 997 and avoid spending the obscene 991 prices that Porsche is so proud of charging.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:07 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what it can also make you do is review the Evolution of Porsche and those who have started owning after 2000 can consider a gen or two earlier if they want raw, tight, right now feel and a pretty worry free sports car.

There is little size difference, and in all but the most open of roads the enhanced performance is pretty much useless. It's more "Modern" and electro-gizmo. Oh, and the front track is a bit wider.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:34 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Parallel Views, and The Black 991

Waxer-

Thanks for your review, seems in concert with many of us.

My buddy bought a black 991S and it gives the illusion of being a bit smaller than the 991. It was especially dramatic to view at dusk, rumbling down the street all lit up.

But much of the "off the record" whispering going on by Porsche NA and Germany employees is.......GTS....GTS...GTS......while on the record out load is....991......991....991..... More refined, easier to drive fast, faster on the Ring, and other sales pablum.

I feel very fortunate to have chosen a GTS. I have not driven a 991, and strangely to not feel a great urge to do.........
Old 03-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Here are the pics that I promised which I had my son download. Draw your own conclusions from the pics. To me the size difference is noticeable. The last pic shows two additional outdated body styles currently in my garage. To some the shapes are outdated, to others timeless.

This one is mine.

Attached Images      
Old 03-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Sorry for the double pics
Old 03-03-2012, 03:21 PM
RazrPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Waxer, which dealership is this? I like it in white but I agree that you can tell the front is wider when standing in front of them.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Flemington Porsche.

Quick Reply: Another 991 review.