Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Low (Extreme?) Mileage Concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Ipecac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Low (Extreme?) Mileage Concerns?

I searched and read other helpful posts here regarding purchasing a very low mileage P-car (trying to avoid being flamed!). I'm wondering if there are any specific concerns for a 2007 997S with 1600 miles. I know the owner so I can get a full history etc. I will also arrange for a PPI, of course, as I usually do.

Things I've learned from reading posts:

- check for leaks
- dry/cracked hoses, rubber parts
- check tires

But are there things that can't be checked via a PPI? Or am I just being overly cautious?

Thanks,

Ipecac

Last edited by Ipecac; 03-11-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

If I leave my C2S set in the garage for a month I feel like it hopping down the road when I drive it. If I drive once or twice a week it purrs like a kitten. I wouldn't think there would be many issues with this car other than tires. You may need to replace the tires because I bet they are cracked and since this is one of your life-lines you don't want to take any chances. Oil and fluids get old event if you're not using them so an oil change, brake fluid flush, an maybe radiator juice would be good to replace. Especially the brake fluid because it likes water which isn't good for you brake system. I would probably silicone spray all the rubber seals and bit throughout the vehicle, do a complete detail with clay and a nice wax. Now drive the hedoublehockeysticks out of that car please!

Some debate that the IMS may take a bit of a beating because it doesn't see proper coating of oil on a regular basis. See link below:

http://www.flat6innovations.com/used-engine-article
Old 03-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Even if the car had its oil changed once or twice a year, it spent the rest of the time just sitting. Can you be sure the owner drove it 'moderately' those 1600 miles (320 miles/yr) and resisted the temptation to drive agressively? What would sitting that much portend for the IMS bearing seal? Remember, you can't retrofit an '07 proactively w/out splitting the engine.

Unless you're very cavalier about money, I would at least get a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty on it. But minor things like rattles, wind/water leaks, defective trim pieces, etc. that normally show up in the first few thousand miles, won't be covered even by the best extended aftermarket warranty, so be prepared to pay out of your pocket.

Unless that car was professionally put-up for storage, I wouldn't be comfortable with it unless it was CPO. YMMV.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:27 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

320 miles per year?? 1600 miles = 6400 1/4 mile runs that thing is ready for the scrap yard!!

I would not be as concerned with only 1600 miles. That is hardly enough to get acid in the oil or wash out IMSB grease. There may be other problems due to condensation on the clutch/pressure plate or in the engine and or fuel system.

If it is a good price I would consider it.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Hartdude
Intermediate

There is something you may consider doing (if you have a reputable dealer nearby); you may ask your dealer if they would consider buying the car, and CPOing it for you, then resell it to you. I know my dealership has done that in the past, and while it may have cost a few more bucks up front, it certianly has given the buyer peace of mind in the long run.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:48 PM
rickmdz
Instructor

If the car checks up I would probably just buy bumper to bumper warranty. With that low millage a warranty should be very affordable and to cover more than the 2 years you will get from CPO. The dealership will charge 2K for CPO as a starting point then on top of that they will have to go through the CPO checklist including fresh fluids, tires, etc. all at dealership prices...
Old 03-11-2012, 03:26 AM
gibsonre
Intermediate

I bought a 7,500 mi 2005 C2 a year ago. Couple little things - did the major service a few months ago and found a leaky oil sender seal. With new plugs, coolant, a front sensor 'deal', brake fluid change, a few oil changes (recently went to 5-40w), cabin filter, air filter, misc other items - ~$1,500. also put a warranty on it for ~$2k. Happy with the cost savings up front and thrilled with my 3rd car (drive my '79 924 for good weather daily driver).

Point is - go for it!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:52 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not be concerned about low milage since you know owner and can ask a lot of questions about abuse. Tires may have flat spots if not stored on Tire Cradles. You can tell that with one drive. If sever they will not get better and need replace. Unlike Model A Fords modern seals do not dry out. Rust on some parts may occur but cylinders are not cast iron anymore.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:34 AM
dntlvet
Pro

I'd probably buy it.
Low miles, good owner/history.
Plan on changing out fluids and rubber as mentioned.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:15 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

If the car was 20 years old with mileage that low, I would be concerned. The car is only a few years old. This low mileage is a plus, and nothing to worry at all about. It might need an oil change and brake fluid change if that hasn't been done recently. Check the tires, but they are probably fine. Buy it and put some miles on it!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by fpb111
I would not be as concerned with only 1600 miles. That is hardly enough to get acid in the oil or wash out IMSB grease.
Clearly the crucial variable is how often the oil was changed in the car's 5 year lifetime, but 320 miles/year still presents the potential for significant problems unless the car was put-up properly for storage. The biggest issue isn't acidity, assuming the oil was changed regularly, but rather water. In the oil, and in the gas as well.

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
Unlike Model A Fords modern seals do not dry out.
Unfortunately that's just not correct. Shops here in Florida make tons of money replacing seals for people who come down in the winter to find the car they left parked since spring has sprouted an oil leak, or the air-con compressor is devoid of refrigerant and won't hold a recharge.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Ipecac
I searched and read other helpful posts here regarding purchasing a very low mileage P-car (trying to avoid being flamed!). I'm wondering if there are any specific concerns for a 2007 997S with 1600 miles. I know the owner so I can get a full history etc. I will also arrange for a PPI, of course, as I usually do.

Things I've learned from reading posts:

- check for leaks
- dry/cracked hoses, rubber parts
- check tires

But are there things that can't be checked via a PPI? Or am I just being overly cautious?

Thanks,

Ipecac
There are 3 (at least) concerns with an extremely low miles car.

1) The car is still "new". Thus it is at risk of suffering a 'new' car problem as miles are driven that due to the new car warranty having expired on time will not be covered by the new car's warranty.

2) With extremely low miles and little usage (and roughly 300+ miles per year I think that is the text book definition of this condition) seals/gaskets/o-rings dry out. They shrink. They can leak. While the leaks may not be severe you have to ask yourself how you would look upon the car if after you bought it left a stain on the garage floor like a new puppy with an over active bladder...

3) Often a low miles car will have a price premium attached to it, its price will be higher than a similar car with more miles.

The problem is that if one buys the low miles car, and at a premium, that premium evaporates very very quickly as the car is driven, and the miles accumulate.

You can't do anything about (1) above unless you can get the car with some warranty. Absent a warranty you roll the dice. My new 02 Boxster had just one problem (RMS leak at 25K miles) in its first nearly 80K miles. My 03 Turbo (bought used with 10K miles) developed some rather expensive problems in its first 50K miles (40K miles that I drove it) but were taken care of by the car's CPO warranty. (I might add that even in its 1st 10K miles the original owner had the car in for a few problems: rattles/squeaks and a bad spoiler, which were all covered by the car's new car warranty.)

For (2) a thorough test drive (30 miles or more) and then a PPI could turn up any existing leaks. But the risk is say the car has an RMS leak. This is budgeted for in your offer and the seller accepts (unlikely though since he's thinking the car is "new" and can't have any problems). You buy the car and have the RMS leak fixed. Then a few months later, another seal leaks, or the A/C o-rings leak, or the water pump shaft seals leak, or name your leak du jour. Worst case you re-seal, re-o-ring the car one seal, one o-ring at a time.

For (3) you can try to negotiate a lower price, but the seller is again unlikely to want to lower his price. The car is low miles and like new so he's wanting like new price for the car.

He doesn't want to hear his car is just an old used car with low miles.

I would not say walk away from the car. I would not say jump on the car. Just be aware of some of the concerns and based on how things similar to this situation have worked out for you in the past take that into account.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Mercedes 2000 CLK Cab that is my wife's car. It has 18000 miles. I change the oil and filter once a year just before winter. She never drives it very far. I take it out occasionally and run the **** out of it. It doesn't leak. It stills runs perfect. I do oil analysis on it as I do all my cars. I would not be afraid of a low mileage car especially if it has been drivin off and on.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I bought a 1990 928 with 27K miles on it back in 2008 and had it for two years. I changed the oil pan gasket and power steering hoses (both of which would need changing regardless of mileage) and I had to replace the A/C seals and hoses. The A/C hoses were the only items that dried out prematurely due to lack of use. The upside was that the suspension, paint, engine, gearbox and interior were all like new.

In my opinion it easy to replace seals/hoses and achieve factory new results but it is very difficult to duplicate factory fresh paint and interior.

Since you are considering a 2007 997 I would add that the car should have a history of yearly oil changes. If it doesn't I would have a PPI done but only after the car has been driven 20 - 30 miles to determine if any leaks are present at the RMS.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:58 AM
Ipecac
Advanced

Thanks for your awesome responses. The PPI will have to wait until April as the seller is attending the Geneva car show with hs family, and I'm taking the wife/kids to NYC next week for spring break.

I'll keep you posted, and hope to have some pics and a new avatar in a few weeks!

Jonn

Quick Reply: Very Low (Extreme?) Mileage Concerns?