Sponsored by:

Mediocre Sound from Bose Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:28 PM
NYP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mediocre Sound from Bose Radio

My new 997 C2S came with the Bose upgrade radio. The sound is pretty awful -far inferior to the sound in my Mercedes (with Harmon Karmon) and BMW (Logic7 sound system) with their upgraded factory radios. It sounds tinny, not much mid-range and/or deep sound. I turned up the bass a bit but with minimal improvement.

Is it a settings issue and if so, what settings do you recommend - I listen to pop music mainly. Does this car have a subwoofer? Am I going to have to purchase something aftermarket to improve the quality of the sound?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:45 PM
swajames
Racer

The Bose system on the 997 isn't a high end system by any stretch but it sounds pretty good. If you've no mid-range and particularly no bass, my sense is something is amiss. There's plenty of bass on mine (a 2008) and it's certainly not an awful sounding system. As factory fit systems go it's not too bad. My guess is you've got something going on, the car is under warranty so run her in and see what they find.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 514 Posts

I have the bass turned down, -2. I thought mine sounded a bit boomy
Old 03-25-2012, 11:58 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Bose has zero punch and impact in the bass region...just loose low end boom.

A few years ago I used a RTA to analize the freq responce of the Bose system. Ran everything flat and the eq curve in the the Boses system was extremely odd.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:42 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NYP
It sounds tinny, not much mid-range and/or deep sound. I turned up the bass a bit but with minimal improvement.
Yep, that's exactly how mine sounds too, mids are really lacking and highs are tinny. I think the base is not bad, it's precise, but you really have to put it to +5 or more to hear it. I also find I have to fiddle with the bass, treble, and surround settings depending on the music I'm playing at the time.

The only positive thing I can say is at least it doesn't distort when turned up loud.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:42 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, I have the sound package plus in my GT3 and sounds horrible compared to the logic 7 in BMW's, also poor compared to Audi (Q7). Now I listen to the engine (fantastic) and talk radio... very lousy for music, rental car quality. Let me know if you get a good setup...
Old 03-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

There has been a lot of complaints about the Bose in the 997.1 and .2 I'm not a big fan of any Bose gear especially their surround sound systems. If I had and extra $8k setting around and all other mods and upgrades that I want for the P-Car....I'd change out the Bose system in a heartbeat. But for now I'm going to suffer with it.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

You're using the wrong stereo controls. The one you're looking for is located on the floor directly under your steering wheel.

But, seriously, you only get Bose speakers, the stereo and amp are still the stock Porsche setup. Swapping those out will give you a serious upgrade if you need it. I don't.

Last edited by Neotorque; 03-26-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:56 PM
PCC
Instructor

I have to say .. for such an expensive car the sound system is a disgrace
Old 03-26-2012, 02:56 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NYP
My new 997 C2S came with the Bose upgrade radio. The sound is pretty awful -far inferior to the sound in my Mercedes (with Harmon Karmon) and BMW (Logic7 sound system) with their upgraded factory radios. It sounds tinny, not much mid-range and/or deep sound. I turned up the bass a bit but with minimal improvement.

Is it a settings issue and if so, what settings do you recommend - I listen to pop music mainly. Does this car have a subwoofer? Am I going to have to purchase something aftermarket to improve the quality of the sound?

Thanks.
Subwoofer is in the passenger footwell on the left side wall.
I have my bass turned to +5, as it needed a little more on the low end.
I listen to XM most of the time, and use the "Surround" mode. Mine only sounds good when you crank of the volume, though.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:33 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Bose sounds fine. I have surround sound on. + 2 on treble and bass. It sounds great. My wife has Harmins in her Bimmer BUT it's a bigger car with more speakers. No complaints on my end
Old 03-26-2012, 08:40 PM
DHC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The Bose is just OK from my POV. Generally, Bose is pretty weak stuff and far from audiophile quality ... kind of a stereo for the lowest common denominator, at least given the price point.

But keep in mind this setup is in a car, a notoriously difficult place for hi-fi.

If it really bothers you, suggest locating a high-end car stereo installer and discuss what you're looking for. Bet they can speak to options, price, how the install will look, etc.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Bass at 2 too. Usually its the other way around ?......certainly not the beez knees tho !
Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

You just crushed everyone that purchased a Bose System that thought they could get wonderful surround sound out of 1-1/2" Speakers.

Originally Posted by DHC
The Bose is just OK from my POV. Generally, Bose is pretty weak stuff and far from audiophile quality ... kind of a stereo for the lowest common denominator, at least given the price point.

But keep in mind this setup is in a car, a notoriously difficult place for hi-fi.

If it really bothers you, suggest locating a high-end car stereo installer and discuss what you're looking for. Bet they can speak to options, price, how the install will look, etc.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NYP
My new 997 C2S came with the Bose upgrade radio. The sound is pretty awful -far inferior to the sound in my Mercedes (with Harmon Karmon) and BMW (Logic7 sound system) with their upgraded factory radios...
I agree, it sounds like crap. I almost never turn it on. I don't know what kind of MB and BMW you have but I assume that they have bigger interior space than your 997. That alone will make the audio system sound better. The factory audio system in my Ford Expedition sounds much better than the Bose system in my 997.

Quick Reply: Mediocre Sound from Bose Radio