Homelink Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 03:05 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Make sure you're not parked under the garage door when you do this.
Thanks...
the owners manual has more page real estate devoted to warning you about that than they do for the actual instructions, but I appreciate the reminder.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:26 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

ok, first step was always to press opener button in the car so it flashes, then you get out, the keep pressed garage opener remote until your fog lights blink, then there is one more step when you need to climb a ladder to your actual garage opener unit and you need to press a button in it, it is a red one under its cover.
i do not remember now if you have to press anything in the car for it again or not. you probably should. try to search forum for this.
whole procedure is indeed not exlained properly in the car`s manual but it will work.

for simple non-rolling code remotes it is enough just to keep remote pressed (for a min or so) in front of your car`s front bumper until fogs blink - it was so for any gate openers. garage opener unit needs you to climb the ladder as well.

ok, an update - you need to press button 1 and 3 for 40 sec or so to erase all previous codes first.
then you press any button you like best until it blinks. then you get out and press garage opener until fogs blink 3 times.
now read post below (and keep in mind 'learning' mode of opener is active for 30 sec or so only imho so be quick and do not park car under garage door while it`s open ):
-------------------
I went to the Homelink website listed earlier, looked up my garage door opener manufacturer along with Porsche's and followed ALL the steps.
There was one step mentioned earlier in these posts about keep your car running while programming it. Not sure if that was the missing link, but after 2 yrs of giving up and not using my home link system I finally got it to work for the first time last night

- turned on my car and then followed programming steps as in manual so that
fog lights blink 3 times.

- got back into the car and pressed the assigned button. It blinked a few times and went solid... this let me know that the garage unit has to be in learn mode.
-I found the "learn mode" button on the garage unit and pressed that button and a small light came on to let me know it was in "learning mode"
-got back in my car and pressed the assigned button and held down for a few seconds and then repeated it. by the third try the garage had learned the code.
Now it works as I had always wanted it to.

Thanks for all your input guys!
Old 04-05-2012, 04:53 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The Porsche garage door buttons/electronics are designed by HomeLink (Johnson Controls). Each garage door opener manufacture has it's own way to learn the Porsche button controls. That is why the manual can be hard to follow & to make it work. The learn button may be under a cover or it may be on the outside of the opener. The button on my unit at the house is black & on the outside of the motor box while the button on the main garage door at the condo is white, under a cover & the button on my assigned garage is purple & on the outside of the motor box. On all three the programming is different.
By using this link: http://www.homelink.com/
HomeLink will ask you for your manufacture, model & date of your car & will then ask you for the manufacture & model of your door opener. They will then give you a video and or print instructions. These instructions are up to date & specific for each model that is out there.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:55 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

'learn' button is not on the remote, it is on the unit itself that opens the door. i hope it is clear to anybody.
after car 'learned' code from the remote you press that 'learning' button the motor unit and then press car`s button several times until motor in the garage 'learns' this new 'remote'.

same procedure as if you would try to add new remote opener for your garage.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NA011
The Porsche garage door buttons/electronics are designed by HomeLink (Johnson Controls). Each garage door opener manufacture has it's own way to learn the Porsche button controls. That is why the manual can be hard to follow & to make it work. The learn button may be under a cover or it may be on the outside of the opener. The button on my unit at the house is black & on the outside of the motor box while the button on the main garage door at the condo is white, under a cover & the button on my assigned garage is purple & on the outside of the motor box. On all three the programming is different.
By using this link: http://www.homelink.com/
HomeLink will ask you for your manufacture, model & date of your car & will then ask you for the manufacture & model of your door opener. They will then give you a video and or print instructions. These instructions are up to date & specific for each model that is out there.
Thanks for your link, easy to follow and it worked .

Old 04-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 574 Posts

Tried it and failed. I cannot get the running lights to flash, and in the background the gate is going up and down! Now question - I live in one of the many beautiful Vancouver apartment buildings that have the standard security gates instead of actual 'garage doors'. Could this be the issue? Anyone had similar experience?
Old 04-07-2012, 05:14 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Tried it and failed. I cannot get the running lights to flash, and in the background the gate is going up and down! Now question - I live in one of the many beautiful Vancouver apartment buildings that have the standard security gates instead of actual 'garage doors'. Could this be the issue? Anyone had similar experience?
Try the "Gate Selection" & check the Canada box in this link: http://www.homelink.com/
Old 04-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys, I've given up programming my home link and finally got it to work using the above.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by NA011
Try the "Gate Selection" & check the Canada box in this link: http://www.homelink.com/
Thanks for this. I'll give it a go and report back. If it doesn't work I'll call the 800 number. Never give up - never surrender!
Old 11-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Cocca
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Carrera 4S

I got the remote in the car programmed for one opener, but not the other. Brand new Liftmaster 8550 opener will not work w/the car. The other one, a Liftmaster 3900 Light Duty Commercial Jackshaft Opener works as it's supposed to.

Yes, I followed the directions - the 3900 had the lights flashing and opening just like that.....

Yes, I also followed the directions for the 8550 too. I followed them for standard mode, for rolling code mode, my own mode, I called Homelink, I went to their website and followed their instructions, I went to the LiftMaster website and followed their instructions, I read my manual and followed Porsche instructions, I Googled it and followed the "Strong Porsche" instructions for the Panamera, I went on this site, Renntech, Planet 9, 6speed online...... I think I'm good in the "I did it correctly" department.

Is there a solution? A repeater? Incidently, this opener will not work in my LR4 or M-B.....................
Old 11-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Dubbin'
Instructor

You need a repeater.

I got a repeater for me high lift 8500 and it works like a charm.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Cocca
Intermediate

Dubbin, thx.

What are the details on your repeater, please? Thx again....
Old 11-02-2014, 04:22 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Boy is this timely. I'm talking to the garage folks tomorrow as my 70's opener is dying.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:56 PM
TCZ
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I was unable to get mine to work until reading this thread--thanks!!!
Pushing the learn button inside the actual garage door opener unit was the difference maker for me. Working like a charm now.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:31 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubbin'
You need a repeater.

I got a repeater for me high lift 8500 and it works like a charm.

Thanks,
Mark
This is correct. I just bought a new Lift Master gate opener and arm, only to find out that I also needed a repeater to program my homelink systems.

Tip: Call Lift Master Customer service. The repeater is a $50 ticket, but they will send you one at no cost once you give them the information they need to qualify (info about the items you own that are on Homelink). They may charge you $7 S&H, but they will take care of the rest, at least.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Homelink Issues