Homelink Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Homelink Issues

Last night I tried programming my gate and garage door openers to my 2009 C2S.
I had the owners manual in my lap, and followed the instructions to the letter.

Never got the driving lights to flash, even with the gate FOB, which is a dip switch style, and should be an easy set up. It was for my other 3 cars.

I started out by deleting all codes, have the car on and the button flashing I want to program, exit the car to hold the FOB by the car's nose, take 3 swigs of beer, which is about a minute, and the car doesn't do squat, and the button is still flashing some 2 minutes later.

Can anyone share some insight as to what I could be doing wrong? I've replaced the battery in the FOB and will try it again this evening, but I don't think that's it, since it opened the gate right before I attempted the program routine.

thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Well if you ever figure it out let me know the simplified version.
When I have a free afternoon , I'm gonna try mine too.

Good luck !
Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You mention the gate is a dip type switch system. Any chance it could still be the electronic rolling codes? Same thought on the garage opener, rolling codes? If so you may need to "seed" your Homelink with the actual remote from the gate and/or garage door opener before it can communicate with the respective system. I had that problem.

To seed it use your remote and the Homelink together by pressing and holding the remote button and then press and hold the Homelink button. May have to aim the remote toward the nose of the car (I forget what I did), but eventually I got the Homelink to start the slow flashing. Then I went back to my opener and pressed its communicate button; returned to the car and pressed and held the same Homelink button a few seconds and the LED driving lights flashed as per the manual. The Homelink button was programmed and works fine. Could be worth a try if you are still having issues.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:01 PM
PHX 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stronbl
You mention the gate is a dip type switch system. Any chance it could still be the electronic rolling codes? Same thought on the garage opener, rolling codes? If so you may need to "seed" your Homelink with the actual remote from the gate and/or garage door opener before it can communicate with the respective system. I had that problem.

To seed it use your remote and the Homelink together by pressing and holding the remote button and then press and hold the Homelink button. May have to aim the remote toward the nose of the car (I forget what I did), but eventually I got the Homelink to start the slow flashing. Then I went back to my opener and pressed its communicate button; returned to the car and pressed and held the same Homelink button a few seconds and the LED driving lights flashed as per the manual. The Homelink button was programmed and works fine. Could be worth a try if you are still having issues.
thanks!
I can press the button I want to program, and the LED indicator flashes slowly, indicating it's ready to be programmed, which is correct per the manual.

What you describe is basically the procedure I've used to program my other cars, but the Porsche manual wants you to get out of the car and hold the transmitter FOB near the nose of the car. My other cars, you do everything inside the car and hold the FOB close to the Homelink buttons.
I can't set the gate opener to the teach mode, as it is a community gate and they control the opener FOBs, and there's not public access to the "teach" button.
My garage opener is a rolling code type, but I haven't messed with it, yet.
I'm getting a beer, and will try it again now
Old 04-04-2012, 10:04 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to the Homelink web site & follow their directions. At least for me it's easier to understand.

http://www.homelink.com/program
Old 04-04-2012, 10:38 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

And you did get out of the car for that programming step, correct. I've had 3 997's and I had to get out for that step on all cars To get the parking lights to flash and never had a problem getting the programming to work. All were rolling code garage door openers.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:00 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX 911
Last night I tried programming my gate and garage door openers to my 2009 C2S.
I had the owners manual in my lap, and followed the instructions to the letter.

Never got the driving lights to flash, even with the gate FOB, which is a dip switch style, and should be an easy set up. It was for my other 3 cars.

I started out by deleting all codes, have the car on and the button flashing I want to program, exit the car to hold the FOB by the car's nose, take 3 swigs of beer, which is about a minute, and the car doesn't do squat, and the button is still flashing some 2 minutes later.

Can anyone share some insight as to what I could be doing wrong? I've replaced the battery in the FOB and will try it again this evening, but I don't think that's it, since it opened the gate right before I attempted the program routine.

thanks in advance for any help.
I've gone through the same process and got the driving lights to flash but it still won't work. I've spent way too much time on this by now and finally just clipped the old remote on the visor. Don't know what they did to the homelink on the .2 cars but I wish they would have left the old system alone. My -06 took all of 30 seconds to program using the same sequence.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:16 PM
marcus0277
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you done a search on here? I wish I could remember what I did to program mine, because I recall having a similar problem. I can't remember if it was something as simple as using the other transmitter (with a fresh battery), or if there was something peculiar about the programming order that I wasn't doing right. But I remember doing a search on here (or was it that other renn forum?) and finding something that kick-started my brain and got me going.

In the end, I'm not 100% certain that I got the driving lights to flash, but the interior/button lights did what they were supposed to do, and the thing is properly programmed now.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:20 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dont give up, it could be your opener... I had this problem with my 2011 BMW when i installed a new opener several months ago. the BMWs homelink was too 'old' for the openers security "2.0" software. talking to chamerlain and homelink was frustrating... i ended up going back and fourth with homelink on the phone they sent me a 'repeater' free of charge. the repeater plugs into a wall outlet in your garage. It comes with its own clicker...

so then you will teach your car from the clicker of the homelink repeater, then the repeater will send the signal directly to your garage door. this soultion worked and fixed my issue.

also, if you have rolling codes, chances are you do... you have to press the button three or four times after it learns the remote, while the garage door is in learn mode. the Homelink light will flash rapidly during this phase. you keep pushing it in 2-3 second intervals, as many times as you need to until the garage door cycles.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I've posted a remedy on the turbo board that has helped quite a few members. Check the link and see if I can help. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...-problems.html

Jay

Last edited by DJ23; 04-06-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:11 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I've gone through the same process and got the driving lights to flash but it still won't work. I've spent way too much time on this by now and finally just clipped the old remote on the visor. Don't know what they did to the homelink on the .2 cars but I wish they would have left the old system alone. My -06 took all of 30 seconds to program using the same sequence.
I have a .2 car, and both my gate (non-rolling code) and my garage doors (rolling code) programmed perfectly. It was a hell of a lot easier than my wife's Chevy, that's for sure. fyi

also-Homelink is VERY helpful over the phone. The Tahoe was an unbelievable nightmare to program, but they were able to walk me through it. Give them a try if nothing else seems to work.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:41 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
I've posted a remedy on the turbo that has helped quite a few members. Check the link and see if I can help. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...-problems.html

Jay
Thanks Jay. Took less than a minute using the sequence you posted on turbo. Didn't even have to move the car out of the garage. The learn button on the motor box was the missing link. No need to involve that on the -06. Pointing the transmitter at the bumper did it all by itself.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Your biggest problem is you are only getting three swigs of beer in a full minute. You are drinking too slow!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:41 PM
PHX 911
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies, and thanks DJ for the link to your thread.

Well, I put a new battery in the gate FOB, tried the deletion procedure (buttons 1 & 3), programming procedure, and still couldn't get it to work.

I flipped over 1 more page in the manual where there was a procedure for just reprogramming 1 button (hold it for 20 seconds until it flashes slowly), so I tried that. I barely got my second swig down, and low and behold, 3 flashes from the DRL's! Sweet!

Not so fast....I drive down to the entrance, push the Homelink button - gate doesn't open. ****....

So, I push the button for another 20 seconds, get out of my car, beer in 1 hand, FOB in the other, get a wierd look from a Mom heading out as I'm standing in front of my car, and I get 3 flashes after only 1 swig!
Well the gates open since I pressed the FOB, so I get back in the car, have another swig, and wait for it to close. Press the Homelink button - gate opens!
Success!
Going to do the garage door tonight, which reminds me - I need to stop by the store on the way home for some beer
Old 04-05-2012, 12:49 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX 911
Thanks for all the replies, and thanks DJ for the link to your thread.

Well, I put a new battery in the gate FOB, tried the deletion procedure (buttons 1 & 3), programming procedure, and still couldn't get it to work.

I flipped over 1 more page in the manual where there was a procedure for just reprogramming 1 button (hold it for 20 seconds until it flashes slowly), so I tried that. I barely got my second swig down, and low and behold, 3 flashes from the DRL's! Sweet!

Not so fast....I drive down to the entrance, push the Homelink button - gate doesn't open. ****....

So, I push the button for another 20 seconds, get out of my car, beer in 1 hand, FOB in the other, get a wierd look from a Mom heading out as I'm standing in front of my car, and I get 3 flashes after only 1 swig!
Well the gates open since I pressed the FOB, so I get back in the car, have another swig, and wait for it to close. Press the Homelink button - gate opens!
Success!
Going to do the garage door tonight, which reminds me - I need to stop by the store on the way home for some beer
Make sure you're not parked under the garage door when you do this.

Quick Reply: Homelink Issues