Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there differences between 991 PDK & 997.2 PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 04:56 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
This is way overblown. I have a 997.2 PDK and its great. Owned it from brand new for 4 years. There are no hidden charges/maintenance. I haven't spent a dime. Buy what you prefer to drive. My past 3 911's were manual and I was always concerned that valet parkers (in LA this is a necessity unless you leave the 911 at home) would ruin my clutch - sure enough one did. One side benefit w PDK - tough to do that ...
The hidden charges/maintenance that I was referring to was what some here alluded to regarding the "recalibrating" of the gen1 PDK when experiencing rough or odd shifting behavior. In any case, it will probably be a non-issue for me because, being a "three pedal" guy, I haven't seriously considered a PDK anyway. As JeanLouis33 says, though, never say never...

As far as valet parkers ruining my clutch, since I'm the only one who will ever drive my car, all I will have to worry about is how the previous owner treated the car.

Originally Posted by Robocop305
Carrara white is the bright white.
Another gorgeous car!

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
I'm glad I have a manual after reading thru this thread lol
I know, right?
Old 06-02-2017, 05:40 PM
JeanLouis33
Racer

Received 328 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
I'm glad I have a manual after reading thru this thread lol
Is it worth reviving this thread? Ok, I'll try.

Since the last lmessages, I have upped to 991 TTS and the PDK has changed...
Evolution, again, not revolution (Porsche do not do revolutions!) but the pleasure of use has measurably increased.

Lvt19672, I was not keen on losing my manual gearbox, but after a track day with the PDK on full auto, I am a changed man. This gearbox is just amazing, now.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:03 PM
1analguy
Instructor

JeanLouis33, you're still here! Me too. And unfortunately, I'm still looking...I have to sell a car to physically make room for a Porsche, and I haven't had the nerve to part with it. I'm getting ready, though. It's been sitting a while so I have to change out all of the fluids, etc. before putting it up for sale. All the same 911 considerations still apply for me, except that I'm now looking at 997 GTSs and TTs vs 991Ss. Still have your 997? And, if so, how has it been to live with day-to-day? Just curious...
Old 07-15-2017, 01:32 PM
JeanLouis33
Racer

Yes Sir, I am still here. I understand the agony of sellin a car you love... even if it is for a better one !!!

The 997 was fine, and I got well used to the pdk, although I was immensely reticent at first. Now, in my seventieth year, I have climbed the last rung, and bougt a 991 turbo S, 560hp (gen 1), in Carrara white. And I am indeed a happy man ! Directional rear wheels, ceramic brakes... she is marvellous...

...and they have improved on the .pdk as well, no jumps during gear change, much smoother , and yes... it is possible... faster !

Here I am following the pack of friends... I am seriously in love, my friend!

Regards

Old 07-16-2017, 03:04 AM
1analguy
Instructor

I just watched the vid you talked about above. What a beautiful car that was. I wanted to hear it as well, but the vid had no sound...
Also, you're right...the new one is even better!
Old 07-16-2017, 03:57 AM
JeanLouis33
Racer

Thanks. The best one I ever had... and I am on my eleventh 911 since 1977. And yes, the video was made by a guy I did not know, a pro photographer. And there is no sound (although sound is the only problem, with the turbos... it is muffled, nothing like the GT3s. I have a different exhaust and it is better but still the rev counter limits at 7100revs, unlike the GT3s at around 8500!!!)

To go back to the topic, yes, the .pdk , like everything Porsche make), was tweaked between the two generations... nothing major, but as usual slightly better, more efficient... gosh, you have to love Porsche, guys !!!
Old 07-26-2017, 10:37 AM
1analguy
Instructor

...I have a 997.2 PDK and its great. Owned it from brand new for 4 years. There are no hidden charges/maintenance. I haven't spent a dime...
Then you haven't been through the first scheduled maintenance for the PDK yet. You could change the gear lube yourself, but the hydraulic service requires Porsche's dealership computer to cycle through the various servos in order to properly flush the system. If you have a PDK, they've got you! The manual transmission? Drain and fill...done. In your driveway. That's what I meant by "additional charges" for PDK maintenance.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:07 PM
JeanLouis33
Racer

Yes, covering their tracks under the excuse ""it requires our computer systems to properly maintain your Porsche"", they do hold us to ransom.

Although to be honest, I have never felt I was being fleeced by my Porsche Centre. Yearly maintenance, I do not get involved, the bill is within expectations when you talk about a top of the range sports car.

In that respect, yes, PDK is more expensive but to be honest, I haven't changed my oil in 30 years !!!
Old 08-08-2017, 11:53 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by JeanLouis33
...to be honest, I haven't changed my oil in 30 years !!!
You really should...it's probably getting dirty by now.
The following users liked this post:
JeanLouis33 (06-23-2020)
Old 08-08-2017, 01:49 PM
JeanLouis33
Racer

Originally Posted by 1analguy
You really should...it's probably getting dirty by now.

Excellent humour (sorry, humor in the U.S. of A.)

Gosh, my English let me down... sorry.

My lovely Blanchette goes to the CP every autumn, for a check up and whatever needs doing... "... because she's worth it !"
Old 08-08-2017, 05:26 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Did you have sports chrono in your 997? If the answer is no, then that explains this post. The differences are not vast.
I had a sport chrono 4s pdk.
The 991 is a lot quicker..and every reviewer says it.

The car is a lot more alive.. the PDK in the 991 is vastly superior at the race track as well - less toque converter feel indeed and the rev match on downshifts
JeanLouis33 (06-23-2020)
Old 08-09-2017, 04:22 AM
JeanLouis33
Racer

Originally Posted by snake eyes
I had a sport chrono 4s pdk.
The 991 is a lot quicker..and every reviewer says it.

The car is a lot more alive.. the PDK in the 991 is vastly superior at the race track as well - less toque converter feel indeed and the rev match on downshifts
My 997 4S and my 991 TTS were back to back, and without meaning to create an argument, the difference is immediately noticeable.

The speed is the first point... I hardly use Sport plus, no need, PDK is reactive enough for my taste. With the 997, I was constantly on Sport plus because the box felt a little sluggish (to my taste).

Furthermore, the "quirks" that affected my 997 do not appear in this one: little jumps, brief 'hiccups' while driving no longe appear.

Like all things mechanical, the first generation of PDK was a Quantum leap forward, but it was improvable... and they improved it with 991 . Any driver who senses, who "feels" his car, cannot fail to notice the improvements.

No doubt the "992" 's PDK will be even better...
Old 06-23-2020, 04:44 PM
JeanLouis33
Racer

My 997 4S and my 991 TTS were back to back, and without meaning to create an argument, the difference is immediately noticeable.

The speed is the first point... I hardly use Sport plus, no need, PDK is reactive enough for my taste. With the 997, I was constantly on Sport plus because the box felt a little sluggish (to my taste).

Furthermore, the "quirks" that affected my 997 do not appear in this one: little jumps, brief 'hiccups' while driving no longe appear.

Like all things mechanical, the first generation of PDK was a Quantum leap forward, but it was improvable... and they improved it with 991 . Any driver who senses, who "feels" his car, cannot fail to notice the improvements.

No doubt the "992" 's PDK will be even better...
Well, I can confirm... the 992 PDK is smoother, from cold (on the 991, there was some reticence with a cold gearbox) and it is so fast that for the first time, the difference between Normal and Sport Plus is barely noticeable... so
for the first time (I had 997 PDK and 991 PDK), I do not use Sport Plus. Though I DO use the Manual mode 100% of the time. Can't help it, the car does NOT decide when it is time to change gear... I do!!
Old 06-23-2020, 08:43 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

It's good to have somebody that can offer this kind of perspective about the PDK changes. Thanks a lot.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:49 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Well, I can confirm... the 992 PDK is smoother, from cold (on the 991, there was some reticence with a cold gearbox) and it is so fast that for the first time, the difference between Normal and Sport Plus is barely noticeable... so
for the first time (I had 997 PDK and 991 PDK), I do not use Sport Plus. Though I DO use the Manual mode 100% of the time. Can't help it, the car does NOT decide when it is time to change gear... I do!!

I would have to feel the differences in person before judging but I think this would bother me. As a former 997 owner you know that the difference between normal and sport+ is dramatic. On the 992, if there's little or no difference between normal and sport+ modes why bother having different modes? Normal mode on my 997 is so slow and lazy I can't stand it and never use it.
vg247 (12-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Are there differences between 991 PDK & 997.2 PDK?