Sponsored by:

991 deivered

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spourreza
Nice car! Post pics with interior. Congrats.
+1
Old 04-17-2012, 10:51 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I cant believe you guys took the bait

OP, pls post some pics as it might distract some of the ADD boys from going down this path again. Do you mind taking the rear bumper off every time you have to fill the gas tank?

Old 04-17-2012, 11:23 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Simple math

Listen.... all I know is that my car is tagged as a 997 which means it's 6 points better than a 991.... It's just simple math... Live with it...
Old 04-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Congrats. It seems to be a better car in nearly every way from the 997 series.
Only if it has the state of the art K40 system installled.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:26 AM
zanwar
Pro

Originally Posted by ADias
I fully expect the 991 GT3/RS to be fantastic performers. But like the Carreras they will be 'balanced' and distant from what now are called the 911 'defects' (pendulum-dynamics, steering chatter).

Hard-core track guys will trade their GT3s/RSs for the new ones, seeking all out performance, as they do not care for the 911 signature; perhaps they never did.
The 991 has pendulum dynamics. There is still steering chatter. Perhaps your last point is correct, as a track enthusiast, I'm not wedded to any particular platform. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses. I don't want to drive to the limits of the 997 for the rest of my life.

I hope the OP enjoys his car, it looks like a nice build in a classic color combo.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:26 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Old 04-18-2012, 01:59 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Mike: 4WD 997s exhibit just about the same pendulum dynamics as a 2WD (maybe a smidgen less). They just have more traction. I agree that the architecture transitions the pendulum swing to a front grab as the front engages, but the pendulum is very much there. Pendulum does not have to do with traction, but with geometry and mass distribution. I have many miles on 2WD and 4WD, as my previous car was a C4.

The 991 changed that geometry significantly. The 991 still has a shade of pendulum, but at much higher limits, beyond recklessness. A 991 feels like a balanced car such as an M3 or E63. That is what a 4"WB increase and wider front track do. For the Nth time: the 991 is a fantastic performer, that is not in question, but drastically different from what a 911 used to be.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:02 AM
Sharkys
Advanced

I have no problem with the advancement of technology. But I could do without automatic windows, swivel headlamps, Premium Bose, etc in my 997. I would have preferred Porsche keep the 997, skip the 991 and concentrate on the Cayman. Imagine the Cayman with a more powerful engine and a few suspension tweaks if that. 997 and 991 owners would hide.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Damn Vern you are a tricky guy. Shucks, you got us again.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Congrats. It seems to be a better car in nearly every way from the 997 series.
Yes, it's so much better! Now, when one forgets what kind of car he owns, he's got it all spelt out on the rear deck! And the presbutton parking brake certainly is a vast improvement over that tedious and perplexing lever! Oh and we mustn't forget that marvelous bit of high-tech engineering: piping the engine sound into the cabin...why, it's positively astounding. Yes indeed, let's all caravan our 997s to the crusher. Oh the shame of owning such an obsolete heap
Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 AM
zanwar
Pro

Originally Posted by ADias
Mike: 4WD 997s exhibit just about the same pendulum dynamics as a 2WD (maybe a smidgen less). They just have more traction. I agree that the architecture transitions the pendulum swing to a front grab as the front engages, but the pendulum is very much there. Pendulum does not have to do with traction, but with geometry and mass distribution. I have many miles on 2WD and 4WD, as my previous car was a C4.

The 991 changed that geometry significantly. The 991 still has a shade of pendulum, but at much higher limits, beyond recklessness. A 991 feels like a balanced car such as an M3 or E63. That is what a 4"WB increase and wider front track do. For the Nth time: the 991 is a fantastic performer, that is not in question, but drastically different from what a 911 used to be.
This is incorrect. One can make the car exhibit the pendulum dynamics at fairly low speeds. Thrown the car quickly into a tight, slow corner and you can feel the engine in the back. It's less apparent intially because you're not trail-braking as much as the 997. But it's there if you go looking for it. The car does start out as very neutral but it will revert to rear engined behavior when pushed. To be honest I think the transition might be a bit too fast and some people could get hurt in this car. I've never driven an M3 but there's no way the two cars could have similar handling. My Maserati is a very balanced car 49%/51% F/R but it feels nothing like a 991 because the distribution of the mass is completely different.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Yes, it's so much better! Now, when one forgets what kind of car he owns, he's got it all spelt out on the rear deck! And the presbutton parking brake certainly is a vast improvement over that tedious and perplexing lever! Oh and we mustn't forget that marvelous bit of high-tech engineering: piping the engine sound into the cabin...why, it's positively astounding. Yes indeed, let's all caravan our 997s to the crusher. Oh the shame of owning such an obsolete heap

Palmbeacher: I think you onto something! Maybe that "artist" on the other thread wadding up his 997 in that crusher wasn't creating art at all.. maybe he just realized with the arrival of the 991...well...

*sign* Sad really : (
Old 04-18-2012, 04:05 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Yes, it's so much better! Now, when one forgets what kind of car he owns, he's got it all spelt out on the rear deck! And the presbutton parking brake certainly is a vast improvement over that tedious and perplexing lever! Oh and we mustn't forget that marvelous bit of high-tech engineering: piping the engine sound into the cabin...why, it's positively astounding. :
Why do we feel the need to ridicule a 991 in a thread where someone has just announced that he just took delivery of one? Seems like the two best options are to not say anything at all (if you dont like the 991) or congratulate the OP on his new toy/arrival/car.

Alternatively there are 1500 other threads lamenting the GT nature of the 991, the absence of pendulum dynamics, whether a GTS is better, the 997 is the last true 911, i could afford a 991 but didnt buy it etc. - you could keep going in any one of those.

To the OP - congrats on your new purchase, hope you enjoy it. If not there are thousands of older Porsche's you could buy
Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

To ridicule 991 is silly. It is proven to be faster therefore it is a better 911 car.

Concerns most people have are in the different area, and related to maintenance diffs compared to previous cars, parts availability, etc.
Same as it was with 993 to 996 cars transition. And knowing previous history - congrats to all gunea pigs who a brave enough to vote with your money for progress.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Car is faster, handles better, is more fuel efficient etc.
Don't take the bait. He did the same thing to the 997.1 turbo owners when the 997.2 turbo came out. He means no harm.

Quick Reply: 991 deivered