Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

used 2005 997 C2S - new owner revelation and some car pics from San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:48 PM
CivicRydr
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default used 2005 997 C2S - new owner revelation and some car pics from San Francisco

Hello. I wanted to share with everyone my experience on purchasing a used 997 C2S. It is a 2005 model in black with the Chrono Sport package and manual tranny. It has 90k miles on it.

First, I must confess that I've always wondered why someone would drop ~$100k on this 911. Back in 2005, I had an E46 M3 that had similar performance (or so I thought) for about half the price. After driving this car, I now understand why.

- How it turns: the steering feel is hard wired to your brain. Responsive is a good word to describe it. The car feels a bit twitchy, kinda like a go kart. I like this. SPORT mode on please. It's weight (or lack there of) wants to move with you, rather than being jerked along. Think dance partner that is in tune with your every step. Because the car reacts more quickly, I feel like I can be very precise in putting it where I want it within a corner. Turn in is immediate and inspires a lot of confidence, although not as much as my Integra TypeR probably due to the fact that the steering is a bit light for me.

- How it goes: Three hundred or so naturally aspirated horsepower is all I’ll ever really want/need. I might even go as far as to say that the power bump on the “S” model isn’t a necessity. Coming recently from an Evo8, 335i and GT-R, my right foot and both ears really missed NA engines. In the past they were blessed with the responsive throttle of BMW’s S54 in the M3, and the screaming howl @9000RPM of Honda’s F20C in the S2000. I’m happy to say that the 3.8L M87 ain’t no slouch. The sound is racy. Air induction creates a whur, whine & rasp combination that I just love. It’s mechanical and then it wails accompanied by a fury of acceleration. In the city, the car darts around in 2nd gear. It squirts between cars in traffic with ease. Anything else that can slice between cars with this much precision only has 2 wheels. And on the highway, I was amazed at how well the engine pulled at 80mph in 6th gear. This is something that turbo cars do well, and where NA cars usually require a downshift. The C2S pulled nicely from ~3k RPMs allowing me to pass cars and trucks on the highway with only a slight twist of my right ankle.

- other things 911: straight-line braking is superb with the engine in the back. Visibility is comforting to the extent that you can see very well in front and sides of the car. You can see things within 5 feet of the front bumper. This is significant distance when you’re used to the GT-R where you can only see things 15 feet away and further. After getting acclimated, I don’t have any gripes about the OEM short shifter and clutch. Although not as bolt-action like and communicative as Honda transmissions, the short throw of the shifter and heavy yet forgiving clutch is a great match to the personality of the car’s engine. Clutch engament is quick and grabs hard. I'm liking this transmission more the more I use it. The tranny is better than BMW, not as good as Honda.

- some gripes on the 911: Build quality isn’t as good as BMW or Honda either. Sure my car has 90k miles, but so do some of my other cars. Some things are falling apart such as, leather on the gear shifter, writing and finish on the HVAC controls, and leather on the seats. My steering rack has squeaks at certain points in the rotation. The HVAC hisses and makes strange sounds. My parking sensors have an error and always provide a solid beep while in reverse gear. At 50mph+ the mirrors create an audible whistle. The PSM and navigation system is confusing. I fear of IMS failure everyday.

Your normal everyday driver would never see the value in this car (unless they live for attention ). It's the details that make this car. It's how it's road performance is just a bit better in all areas compared to other cars. It does things better that you didn't even think could be done better. This is a fantastic machine. As a car fan, I feel blessed to be able to drive this car. I can't wait to take it to the track. It really is the quintessential sports car.

Last edited by CivicRydr; 07-20-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

Beautiful. Congratulations!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations. Enjoy the experience.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Now try driving the M3 or s2000 again...they both just feel very not so special any longer.

Glad to see you "get" it. Enjoy a superb ride in an even more superb city! Welcome to the club.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:59 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Beautiful car. My first one was black, and I miss it, prefer it to the silver I've got now. What ski rack system is that you have on it? It looks quite sturdy.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:10 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats... Awesome P-Car and welcome to the dark--side!

OMG, you stole her for 30K
Old 04-19-2012, 07:15 PM
CivicRydr
Cruisin'

OEM rack. Solid construction and easy to install/remove. BTW, I like Silver more.....at least I think I do.

Last edited by CivicRydr; 04-19-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 548 Posts

What an awesome car and buy for $30k. I came from an E46 too and I know what you mean, exactly. I always wondered why get the 911 when the BMW had very similar performance levels. But even my 996 was a step up and my 997.2S, well....

Some thoughts. get the IMS LN engineering fix and you won't have to worry. I'd say the fit on the Porsche is very good. Seems like you really look after your stuff. I find my 997 wearing better than my BMW did, given the same care. But overall tough to tell. Porsche gear box is way better. Cant comment vs. the S2000. However, enjoy! Shes very well kept for 90k.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Congrats on your steal of a porsche. Looks great from the photos.
I too came from an s2000 F22 that was a great little car, but the 911s is in a diferent league.

One thing you MUST change tho..........seeing you've change the wheel centres re-align the gold centres to point to the valve.

Good Luck !
Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

That's a NICE CAR. Well done! Take him out and run him long and hard!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:50 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Comments on wear & tear:

1 - The seat is coming apart because the previous owner abused it. One seats on the seat, does not slide over the seat. An automotive upholsterer can fix that.
2 - Paint on PCM buttons. Sensitive to greasy hands. Easy to fix.
3 - Steering wheel noise - due to a coiled spring. It may be fixed by lubing perhaps, but these are not saloon vaults...
Old 04-19-2012, 09:55 PM
joelpirela
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love the seat belts! great read! with 90k miles, I don't think you are too close to IMS damage...
Old 04-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Constance83
Banned

Congratulations. Enjoy the experience.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:10 AM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful. Lovely color with yellow accents.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:32 AM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the yellow dials.

Nice shots in front of the ball park.

Quick Reply: used 2005 997 C2S - new owner revelation and some car pics from San Francisco